Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Kerbal Space Program Total Sperg Zone

Sturgeon

Woomerang Ballistic Missile Testing Range, North Kerbistan, 1965

3F1133AE7F3EE7FD01BF434CCA8F6153674BE1D4

HGM-25 Titan I undergoing sub orbital testing. Warhead reached target area in the polar region.

37AB68B6C40989BCF3697AF13C4285123467FCA4

SM-75A Thor moments after liftoff.

A6378E0B4ABF213323DBA784F8704B0BE7294670

Extensively modified HGM-25 Titan I. Third stage added with additional fins following a few launch accidents. This was the result of a desperate need to perform Munar and Minmus satellite missions. A modified Atlas wasn't quite the rocket for the job. This thing has a staggering 7,600 m/s of Delta V, twice that of a Titan I carrying a Mun/Minmus Payload, and considerably more than a Titan II with a Gemini spacecraft. It also looks rad as fuck.

I used the BlueDog Design Bureau pack, which has a pretty comprehensive collection of US rockets, probes, and spacecraft from the 1950s-70s.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sovetsky Kerbania, my newest cruiser designed to provide logistical and long range support to Kulako and Kerbinov

WLCcT2r.jpg

Rr6d8aW.jpg

Vertical Launch System

jvECKlp.jpg

BX7MuYc.jpg

x4rAA2E.jpg

cb6Sr6j.jpg

One of the two Goliath Class Heavy Mining Landers.

SM9DI79.jpg

Nose Mounted R-7 escape system.

wXAUpIY.jpg

The 9MN of thrust that will accelerate this 2880 ton vessel.

46IpmBX.jpg

I decided that bigger rockets are impractical from a game engine stand point, on account of the fact that I am getting at best 1 fps with my larger vessels. This lead me to building half scale versions of my larger cruisers. Undoubtedly, this will eventually result in me using the full scale ones as a mother ship for the half scale ones.

pyN6Gfl.jpg

Zpz7FSh.jpg

iJcPTsW.jpg

7FPkkQO.jpg

QhjiMak.jpg

aTuC0Mj.jpg

Katyusha and Kulaco rendezvous.

p3Uxq6X.jpg

Kulaco is 916 tons, ~12,375 delta v, and ~3m/s^2 acceleration while Katyusha is 255 tons, ~11,000 delta v, and ~5.3m/s^2 acceleration.

Did my first interplanetary mission today!

92F3C7C7B3D7C044009A898CAE5362500A745F08

The first image is of the spacecraft shortly after arriving in Eve's sphere of influence. JJ Abrams lensflare shot of the Mothership, Aphrodite. It's heavily inspired by the Apollo Applications Program manned Venus flyby vessel. Mine has an added habitation module, and a lander slung under the vessel.
6C35B713E9C72D3E0F71D238A0B9FFCFE9CAF8E1

Arethusa on the surface of Gilly. This...wasn't really needed other than to gather some science off this one biome. Mission was accomplished though!

6ABA54D670692390B296CC3B328926B4E169E88F

Rendezvous was a bit tricky. I had the pilot jump and fly over on an EVA pack. The lander served it's purpose anyway.

AE5E83B9242ACD1FE7648631DE12AD0E76F8953D

MechJeb went screwy and said I had way less fuel than I thought I did. I ditched the habitation module to gain some extra DeltaV.

47868E8B4DACFD5832E692010301C9D3C905D0EE

Beauty shot of Ishtar after a successful Kerbin capture.

The mothership was claimed by the Kraken on the way back from Eve. She's adrift somewhere over Kerbin. No fuel or power. No doubt a later project for me.

26 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

I read "RCS" and parsed it as "radar cross section" at first and I wondered what in the fuck mods you have installed.

Funny that you mention that, the BD armory expansion does have a "radar cross section" analysis tool. Obviously, KSP does not simulate radar returns off of spacecraft, but even something very basic (and horrendously wrong) is a neat step towards making stealth space ships.

• 2 weeks later...

4LJcPp3.png

9kgVFF8.png

7HySLoT.jpg

Today in KSP "What if Land"

I put up my first permanent Space Station (on this playthrough), Skylab. For fun, I took some inspiration from the actual Skylab B and docked a Soyuz. Alas, Skylab B never flew, but it can be seen (and walked though) at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. 

• 2 weeks later...

Everything broke in KSP! So today I have a montage of effecting repairs.

An Apollo Block V Delivers a habitation and secondary solar generation plant to Skylab. Station wigged out and pointed the wrong direction, and in the process lost all power.

N9JMrFg.png

Maiden Flight of Big G on a Saturn Multibody. The Big G is serving as a rescue vessel for stranded Kerbonauts. In this particular case a CSM's heat shield exploded, annihilating the service module and sending the command module spinning out of control.

jIb7cHy.jpg

The crew of the destroyed Apollo craft, plus a KSAF Space Rescueman.

Dqr75vy.png

All of my missions were successful, although I'm left wondering what I did to provoke the Kraken....

ftBYr8i.jpg

s6tXYfc.jpg

NATO Gemini Missions, 1964

RAF Gemini being launched by a Blue Streak and a USAF Gemini Titan II.

The Blue Streak in the Commonwealth Rockets pack is a weirdly beefy rocket. Although I had to beef it up with an upper stage that's a Titan engine mated to some Blue Streak fuel tanks. It's kind of cheese, but it make for some interesting screenshots.