Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Models and pictures of Soviet MBT designs from 80s. Object 477A, Object 490 Buntar and Object 299.

LoooSeR

If you have anything interesting - you can post them here as well. I am trying to collect all information about those projects in this thread, and there is not much data avaliable on the Internet.

That's what I also do now,I am writing an article about Soviet secret tanks from 70s to 21th century,language in Chinese,but there are also the same problem that the informations are too rare.

Of course I will post something about that,but my PC was broken not long ago,and there are some troubles for me to post photos from mobile phone,so I 'm sorry that I can't do anything for it right now.

Reposting this picture here, because i can  :D

Obiekt%20477%20Bokser-Mo%C5%82ot%202.jpg

Looks like it have muzzle reference system. Other than that, i have problem understanging shape and equipment on turret.

This very bad quality photo has been sent form one-use e-mail to some militray press agency in Poland :-) As I know - it's Ob.477 Bokser itself. 

I have some blueprints and photos of Ob.477 but unfortunatly it cant be shown public. More or less impressive beast and far far achead in compert to present in those days UWZ a and LKZ "future tank" project.

UWZ in end of the 80s stuck whit Ob.187A1 project - so clasic tank whit 152mm and bigger autoloader, what funny - it's hull is very close to Armata now.

In LKZ we had two other options - but only Ob.299 was "new quality" but try to bulid "universal heavy chasiss" whit gas turbine wasn't cheap. And the true problem was incarse crew from two to 3 members.

My articles about "road to Armata tank" - 3 parts in polish:

1. http://dziennikzbrojny.pl/artykuly/art,5,19,8963,wojska-ladowe,czolgi,zanim-powstal-t-14-armata-radzieckie-drogi-do-czolgu-nowej-generacji-czesc-i-pojazdy-ewolucyjne

So "evolution" way

2.http://dziennikzbrojny.pl/artykuly/art,5,19,9026,wojska-ladowe,czolgi,zanim-powstal-t-14-armata-radzieckie-drogi-do-czolgu-nowej-generacji-czesc-ii-pojazdy-rewolucyjne

"revolution" way

3. Armata itself:

http://dziennikzbrojny.pl/artykuly/art,5,19,9069,wojska-ladowe,czolgi,t-14-armata-rosyjski-czolg-nowej-generacji

I doubt that 477 and 490A were far ahead of LKZ project. 477 wasn't good enough, thats why there is number of futher development models like Nota. LKZ had more interesting and advanced design. Object 299 had denser layout than previous models, because of separated crew and autoloader compartments. Plus, unlike Armata, Object 299 had real and seriously protected crew cpasule.

I doubt that 477 and 490A were far ahead of LKZ project. 477 wasn't good enough, thats why there is number of futher development models like Nota. LKZ had more interesting and advanced design. Object 299 had denser layout than previous models, because of separated crew and autoloader compartments. Plus, unlike Armata, Object 299 had real and seriously protected crew cpasule.

Kharkiv's tank design aways pursue compact layout.

I doubt that 477 and 490A were far ahead of LKZ project. 477 wasn't good enough, thats why there is number of futher development models like Nota. LKZ had more interesting and advanced design. Object 299 had denser layout than previous models, because of separated crew and autoloader compartments. Plus, unlike Armata, Object 299 had real and seriously protected crew cpasule.

1) LKZ stuck whit "heavy universal chassis"in those years. It was needed to use GTD1250 turbine for lightweight resons. And looking for postong on Chlopotows blog armour idea- it was not so impresive:

6ZO7yC0.jpg

Only 228mm in main part and circa 780mm LOS in slopped upper-part. Of course - gas turbine and torsion will be aditional protection placed befor this, the same - slopped ERA blocks, but still - how can this be comparable whit 1300mm armour block in Molot/Nota or 1100mm thick in Boxer-Molot?

2)

477 was not enought becouse UWZ lobby in end of the 80's forced two smal changed:

-other 152mm gun (longer)

- posibility to use unitary 152mm ronuds (fucken imposible).

all was forced to delay Charkiv project. And it's important to notic that after Utinov ded and Roamnov fail LKZ was downgraded - the same stroy like after Breżniev ded and CHzTM downgraded. UWZ due to political conetion have a flow in and of the 1980's, but the most interesting projects where developed in ChzTM and LKZ.

BTW - You propably know that Ob.477A2 Nota was common Ukrainian and Russian project between 1993 and 2001. One form 3 final Nota prototypes and full documentation went to UWZ. And Ob.195 as again UWZ try to made their own IV gen tank - first prototype in 1999 second one in 2001 as I know. And Nota as common project was canceled in 2001...After that was started "Biala" (The "White") project - pure Ukrainian tank, and it was facked up doe to lack of money.