Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Models and pictures of Soviet MBT designs from 80s. Object 477A, Object 490 Buntar and Object 299.

LoooSeR

1 hour ago, barbaria said:

So the warheads are in the crew compartment with the charges in the hull?

Also interesting to see that the special amour begins just in front of the crew seats on either side of the hull.

No, look closer. AFAIK each slot in turret 8 round loader contains ready ti use warhead and propellant charge.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It appears to be much more spacious than another 299-based heavy IFV, one which was mentioned earlier in this thread:

On 8/21/2015 at 2:56 PM, vick7 said:

n59uRip.jpg

Is the T-15 a newer HIFV of this Object 299 one?  A what is that gun it has 57mm like what the BMP-3M is getting soon?

And as im on this il add this for the Object 292 https://youtu.be/MGn0qSE95D0

On 4/20/2017 at 4:36 PM, LoooSeR said:

image007.jpg

I see an SPG on Object 299 chassis for a first time. Also Gurkhan claims that Heavy IFV at some point wa supposed to be armed with 76 mm autocannon.

which apparently (well, assuming that it had same armor thickness as 299-based tank itself, and assuming that it had constant roof thickness) was almost as low on the inside as BMP-2

oHjaKIq.jpg

UPD:
comparison with sillouette of early design of Armata-based Heavy APC
SucqzZh.jpg
Apparently 299-based HIFV is some 14 inches lower on the inside

• 1 month later...

Andrei_BT made post in his blog, where he also posted another picture of this mockup:
ATSF9z9.jpg
...along with some words about this vehicle been example of cool and too-complicated-for-brasshats-to-understand way of designing tanks - they decided to use fresh new layout to keep tank lightweight, instead of using a traditional one (with more than 2 man inside) and simply adding more armor - which eventually leads to Maus-alike weight.

It reminds me of another, 15-20 years earlier, soviet attempt to make the same "great leap forward" using the same design of 2-man-crew-in-turret - Chelyabinsk's object 775.

/...erm. Don't remember pressing "submit reply" button and posting the same thing twice :blink:/
/have to turn it now into something usefull, I guess.../
Andrei_BT posted same 2 photos of 490 full-scale mockup (in slightly bigger resolution than those already posted there) at his FB https://www.facebook.com/andrei.btvt/posts/208734635129637

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting design.  But I dont really understand that 4 track arrangement. Sure, if the tank loses one track, it remains able to move. But on the other hand, it makes the vehicle needlessly complicated. 2 engines, geared together driving 2 tracks would be better I think for this concept.

15 hours ago, heretic88 said:

Interesting design.  But I dont really understand that 4 track arrangement. Sure, if the tank loses one track, it remains able to move. But on the other hand, it makes the vehicle needlessly complicated. 2 engines, geared together driving 2 tracks would be better I think for this concept.

Hard to say - MLRS dispenses 28 AT-2 antitank mines a round.

• 2 weeks later...

O_o...

Oookay. Now how do you service (or replace) either engine without being forced to prealably remove the entire gun? Is it possible for the front part of the hull (from glacis' tip to end of the first "bogie") to disconnect from the rest of the body or is this a true monolithic hull?

44 minutes ago, Renegade334 said:

O_o...

Oookay. Now how do you service (or replace) either engine without being forced to prealably remove the entire gun? Is it possible for the front part of the hull (from glacis' tip to end of the first "bogie") to disconnect from the rest of the body or is this a true monolithic hull?

Engines slides down from the bottom of this thing AFAIK.