Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Onion Appreciation Thread

Onions (both regular and other) are a versatile vegetable which can be used to add flavor to many other food products. I think they're pretty good, personally.

During my poor college days (last week), I once ate meal consisting entirely of chopped potatos and onions mixed together and fried. It was actually quite palatable.

Onions (both regular and other) are a versatile vegetable which can be used to add flavor to many other food products. I think they're pretty good, personally.

During my poor college days (last week), I once ate meal consisting entirely of chopped potatos and onions mixed together and fried. It was actually quite palatable.

Any kitchen that goes more than a week without using onions is not one whose food I would care to eat. Cooked down, grilled and raw onions are all excellent ways to add a bit of flavor and/or texture to a meal.

For quick and easy vegetable accompaniment, grilled peppers and onions are dead solid awesome as well.

Honestly, I could probably live for weeks on potatoes, onions, and some sort of meat product (provided appropriate seasoning and cooking utensils).

Potatoes, milk, and onions for me. The potatoes and milk are close enough to a balanced diet for quite a while, and the onions will keep me from breaking down. (Then again I'm the sort who considers pea/lentil soup for a week to be perfectly acceptable cooking).

Mushrooms are only good when used appropriately. A proper marsala sauce is fantastic, but using mushrooms without care leads to unappealing messes.