Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Human Gestation And Development In Space

It is possible to do it in space right? Right? 

Jellyfish have been bred in space, and have had issues converting from a microgravity environment to one with gravity. The basics behind the sense of gravity is similar in both jellies and us meat-bags so human babies might very well never adapt to an environment with gravity without special equipment and techniques much like how we need to adapt to a microgravity environment. 

A space baby mother would also probably have serious issues after a pregnancy with her bone structure and all. 

We could always just simulate 1G in space by creating a spinning spacecraft or station...

This is one of those much-talked about options that nobody actually ends up doing. My suspicion is that you need a ring over a certain size to prevent everyone getting sick from perceived gravity changes and coriolis effect. When lying down and standing up presents a different sensation of gravity and everything falls in weird arcs, then your solution might be worse than the problem.

We could always just simulate 1G in space by creating a spinning spacecraft or station...

Centrifugal gravity is pretty problematic.  Nothing insoluble, but lots of headaches.

1)  Where do your space station's docking ports go?  They clearly can't be at the spinning periphery, and even a rotating port, say, at the center of a hub is still problematic.  Could you have a spinning section and a non-spinning section?  Pressure-tight rotary joints would be a real headache.  I can't think of anything comparable that actually exists.

2)  A spun ship ideally is large, or Coriolis effects will be significant, and disorienting.

3)  A large spun ship will need to be radially balanced, somehow.

Centrifugal gravity is pretty problematic.  Nothing insoluble, but lots of headaches.

1)  Where do your space station's docking ports go?  They clearly can't be at the spinning periphery, and even a rotating port, say, at the center of a hub is still problematic.  Could you have a spinning section and a non-spinning section?  Pressure-tight rotary joints would be a real headache.  I can't think of anything comparable that actually exists.

2)  A spun ship ideally is large, or Coriolis effects will be significant, and disorienting.

3)  A large spun ship will need to be radially balanced, somehow.

By the time you want to have babies in space it's implied that we're looking at much longer-term space missions requiring larger space ships in the first place.

We're talking at least a 100m diameter ring here. This would put it in the same size category as the ISS. Only, you know, spinning.

When I say "longer-term space missions requiring larger space ships in the first place" I'm actually already thinking on the scale of O'Neill Cylinders.

At ISS levels of habitation or space ships there is no point to having babies in space in the first place.