Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Anti-Gay State Rep Outed By Guy He Was Trying To Pick Up On Grindr

Sturgeon

This is something you'd normally see in a half-baked film plot:

Dustin Smith is an “out and proud gay man” living in North Dakota, one of America’s more conservative states. So the 21-year-old wasn’t exactly surprised when he read that state legislators had refused to outlaw discrimination against gays. “These are the members of the House who voted against legal protections,” read the headline of an April 2 articlealongside photos of the politicians.

What surprised Smith was that he knew one of them — somewhat intimately, it turns out.

“I’m sure I’ve talked to this person before,” Smith remembers thinking to himself, as he told The Washington Post in a telephone interview from his home in Bismarck, N.D. “Suddenly it dawned on me: I think I’ve seen this guy on Grindr!”

Smith started going through his conversations on Grindr — “an all-male location-based social network“— searching for the round, bespectacled face and bushy eyebrows. And there he was: Top Man!, a.k.a. Randy Boehning, the Republican state representative from Fargo.

Scrolling through the conversation, however, Smith found more than sexually suggestive messages. He found an unsolicited picture of the public servant’s not-so-public parts.

“I just felt like this story had to get out,” Smith said. “A [representative] had voted against a bill for the LGBT community and here he was talking to me on Grindr.”

[“Outrage” documentary outs gay politicians who vote against gay rights]

Smith approached a reporter from the Forum in Fargo, and on Monday night the newspaper ran an exposé.

Since his election in 2002, Boehning has proved a staunch conservative. He has pushed to allow guns in classrooms and churches and sponsored strict voter identification requirements. He once attacked Democrats over their effort to give poor kids extra milk at school. Twice, he’s voted against expanding legal protections for gays.

Grindr-gate, however, has plunged Boehning into an existential crisis. Confronted with the photos he had sent Smith, the lawmaker admitted that he was gay. (His Grindr bio reads: “Seems I haven’t found mister right yet, so need to keep looking for and having fun on the way! Hit me up boys.”)

Boehning, 49, also defended sending the younger man a picture of his private parts and pickup lines such as “What’s up tonight sexy?”

“That’s what gay guys do on gay sites, don’t they?” he told the Forum. “That’s how things happen on Grindr. It’s a gay chat site. It’s not the first thing you do on that site. That’s what we do, exchange pics on the site.”

This isn't the first time that an anti-gay US politician has been caught trying to solicit some sweet billionaire triceratops hot gay sex either.  I think there are like... at least three prior instances of this sort of thing happening.

It is not entirely clear to me what cosmic force causes this to keep happening.

This isn't the first time that an anti-gay US politician has been caught trying to solicit some sweet billionaire triceratops hot gay sex either.  I think there are like... at least three prior instances of this sort of thing happening.

It is not entirely clear to me what cosmic force causes this to keep happening.

Karma?