Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

It doesn't get me credit, and I most certainly don't do it for some sort of status. The only reason I do it is to deny lovely souls such as TERFs (who I most certainly don't consider SJWs because they're explicitly fighting for social injustice, which is actually a lot of the reason I have severe issues with the term) control over the discourse. I'd much rather the big assholes don't get to set the tone of discussion and tar reasonable people by association.

I guess that makes sense. I mean, I think justice mostly means having things go one's way, so "social justice" is in general a bit baffling to me.

Are TERFs the same thing as truscum?

I guess that makes sense. I mean, I think justice mostly means having things go one's way, so "social justice" is in general a bit baffling to me.

Are TERFs the same thing as truscum?

Trans-exclusionary radical feminists. Ever hear the phrase "women born women" (or more accurately "womyn born womyn")?

Leads to lovely stuff like:

transgender woman are in fact men using an artificialy constructed feminine apperance to exert patriarchy from the inside of feminism and believe it or not, to gain access to womans bathrooms in order to rape them.

(typos in original)

Basically it's based on hatred of men, maintaining that gender is entirely a social construct, that every man is a privileged oppressor, that every woman is oppressed, and screw anyone whose lives are evidence that they're incorrect. There's a reason basically every other variety of feminist and the vast majority of the demographics they claim to represent utterly loathe them. They're also a prime source of quote mines for a good two minute hate of feminists, which means them and other similarly odious bigots end up representing something that's basically disowned them.

Trans-exclusionary radical feminists. Ever hear the phrase "women born women" (or more accurately "womyn born womyn")?

Leads to lovely stuff like:

(typos in original)

Basically it's based on hatred of men, maintaining that gender is entirely a social construct, that every man is a privileged oppressor, that every woman is oppressed, and screw anyone whose lives are evidence that they're incorrect. There's a reason basically every other variety of feminist and the vast majority of the demographics they claim to represent utterly loathe them. They're also a prime source of quote mines for a good two minute hate of feminists, which means them and other similarly odious bigots end up representing something that's basically disowned them.

Sounds like "truscum", though I can't keep up with all these new words, so I don't really know.

Feminism has long since ceased to have any meaning beyond the vitriolic, but that's just how I see it.

One thing I found a bit surprising in the Mad Max film was the use of a tracked vehicle.  When it appeared onscreen, the first thing I thought of was the "ripsaw" tracked vehicle that has been in the news lately.  Turns out I was right, they makers of the Ripsaw are the ones that built the vehicle for the film.  

Personally, I am a bit annoyed with all the media coverage the Ripsaw gets.  First off, it's not really all that hard to make a high speed tracked vehicle when you don't have any armor or weapons on it.  Walter Christie did the same thing 80 years ago.  I really wish the media would stop calling it a tank.  It's all a bit of marketing bullshit.  

Seriously, if feminism is what was depicted in the new Mad Max movie, then sign me up.  Male characters and female characters teamed up to beat the bad guys and make their world a better place.  And lots of awesome car crashes happened.  What's not to like?  

Yep, though I'm convinced that this wasn't the original plan and it was only partway through shooting the movie that Tom Hardy and George Miller both just agreed that Charlize was a much better lead. At which point they stopped all pretense and decided she should be the "hero"; which is also why the next Mad Max movie's subtitle is already Furiosa.

It was still a Mad Max movie through and through because of the atmosphere of the movie, even if Max's most awesome moment happened off-screen :P.

Yep, though I'm convinced that this wasn't the original plan and it was only partway through shooting the movie that Tom Hardy and George Miller both just agreed that Charlize was a much better lead. At which point they stopped all pretense and decided she should be the "hero"; which is also why the next Mad Max movie's subtitle is already Furiosa.

It was still a Mad Max movie through and through because of the atmosphere of the movie, even if Max's most awesome moment happened off-screen :P.

I agree with you totally, Zin.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching the original Mad Max movie tonight.  It's kind of awesome.  Although, the soundtrack is really dated and not really appropriate.  And the fact that Mad Max's ideal world consists of a wife that plays saxophone while they ride around in a pinto wagon with a sci fi themed mural on the side.  

It's always advisable to have newbies watch the Road Warrior first. Then again. Then a third time. Then you let them watch Mad Max, and hopefully a version where the sound isn't janked up. Then Road Warrior again. Then get inebriated. Then watch Thunder Dome.

Yeah, well. If it has taken you until now to watch the Road Warrior, then your opinion don't matter.

*Grumble*

Road Warrior and Mad Max is best watched on a 13-inch Zenith television set during the 8 o'clock movie via syndication during a school night in the 1980s. Thus providing plenty of fodder for the bull sessions with your buddies during recess.

Yeah, well. If it has taken you until now to watch the Road Warrior, then your opinion don't matter.

*Grumble*

Road Warrior and Mad Max is best watched on a 13-inch Zenith television set during the 8 o'clock movie via syndication during a school night in the 1980s. Thus providing plenty of fodder for the bull sessions with your buddies during recess.

Until now? Said who? I just said I watched 'em in order.

Random thought, what happens when these "men's rights activists" that consider Fury Road too Feminist watch a classic film like "African Queen?"  My god, they must hate Katherine Hepburns character.  After all, they went to a movie expecting to see Bogart doing manly Bogart things.  Why is this prissy woman telling him what to do?

Random thought, what happens when these "men's rights activists" that consider Fury Road too Feminist watch a classic film like "African Queen?"  My god, they must hate Katherine Hepburns character.  After all, they went to a movie expecting to see Bogart doing manly Bogart things.  Why is this prissy woman telling him what to do?

Not defending MRAs - since they're basically feminists anyway - but the whole MRA/Fury Road thing has been talked about a shitload more by non-MRAs than the MRAs themselves.

• 6 months later...