Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

All of Australia Covered In Baby Spiders; Spiders Say They "Come In Peace"

Sturgeon

That post is NSFW (Not Safe For Wife). 

Seriously. She doesn't like spiders. It is a particular strain since I'm not a fan of them either. But guess who gets to be the one that wields the shoe whenever an eight-legged intruder enters the house?

I love my arthropods of all shapes and sizes. As long as they stay away from my sandwiches(pesky Argentine Ants, those motherfuckers and not a fan of roaches either) they are alright with me. 

I have always been the type of person to get a stick or container, depending on the species of spider, to rescue them from the shoe of the other humans(like Donward).  

Spiders used to really bother me, but not so much anymore, since I have to deal with them all the time now. You know, working outdoors and all. Anyway, today, I kept having something hanging in my face, there was something stuck to the bill of my hat.  I took it off and it was a little spider, four years ago I would have screamed like a little girl and thrown the hat, this morning, I looked at the little guy then blew him off my hat into some bushes. 

I only kill them if they surprise/scare me and I do it without thinking. 

I've even seen the alive, on a pool wall, if you net them out they'll run off.  They are big suckers too. 

Here's one, they get blown out of trees. This one was about four and a half inches across. 

20150416_091539_zpsg28qvm7l.jpg

I've got zero problems with spiders outside. They're an important part of the circle of life. Inside is a whole nuther story.

I spent a good portion of my childhood living in a ramshackle two-bedroom house built in the 1920s which was infested by every manner of six and eight legged creatures. I remember the orange shag carpet with multiple dark, sticky stains. At night, sleeping on the top of my bunk bed, I would look down and watch the stains, counting them and occasionally they would move, skittering across the floor.

They were wolf spiders.

Fuck wolf spiders. They get the shoe. Or the piece of paper towel, where they are squished, tossed into the fireplace and then burned just to make sure.

My father, who grew up in Durban, has vivid memories of lying in bed at night and waiting for the palpable thud as his room's resident baboon spider dropped from its hiding place on the roof, landed on his bed and then began its wanders for the night.

Spider%203.jpg?itok=lBQllopT

My father, who grew up in Durban, has vivid memories of lying in bed at night and waiting for the palpable thud as his room's resident baboon spider dropped from its hiding place on the roof, landed on his bed and then began its wanders for the night.

Spider%203.jpg?itok=lBQllopT

That’s horrifying, and almost makes me feel bad for posting this. 

This little bugger was underwater for who knows how long... 

20150522_102049_zps3on88hfu.jpg

• 2 months later...