Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Muslim Convert British Widow Became Al-Shabaab Mastermind, Ordered 400 Killings

Sturgeon

http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/18/white-widow-samantha-lewthwaite-has-killed-400-people-5202429/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3085770/White-Widow-Samantha-Lewthwaite-masterminded-400-murders.html

The problem with softballing of Islam is it stunts efforts to prevent radical Islam from taking hold at home. The reality is that there's no politically correct solution for this sort of thing.

Do I get to use the same arguments to lock up jehova's witnesses, seventh-day adventists and scientologists? Because they really annoy me...

I was going to use a flippant response like "Sure, when they start strapping suicide vests onto their chests". But then I remembered that I've eaten potluck served by my wife's relatives. And veggie meats and the accompanying vegetarian fare served by Seventh Day Adventists truly are a crime against humanity.

Do I get to use the same arguments to lock up jehova's witnesses, seventh-day adventists and scientologists? Because they really annoy me...

Bad argument, because I didn't advocate locking up of peaceful Muslims, and Western society isn't having anywhere near the problems with SDAs and Scientologists that it is having with Islamic extremists.

It wasn't meant particularly seriously, although I admit that it is hard to tell that this is so.

A better argument: what do you mean by 'soft balling' and how would this impact on freedom of religion and your country's lack of hate speech laws (IIRC)?

It wasn't meant particularly seriously, although I admit that it is hard to tell that this is so.

A better argument: what do you mean by 'soft balling' and how would this impact on freedom of religion and your country's lack of hate speech laws (IIRC)?

It's a big problem in the UK, particularly, where "Asian" (their general term for near-Asians; Pakistanis and such) criminals are not prosecuted as vigorously as they should be, because law enforcement is afraid of being called racist. The consequences for this sort of political correctness are decidedly nontrivial.

It's much less bad in the US, but it often seems as though we're headed that way, too.

It's a big problem in the UK, particularly, where "Asian" (their general term for near-Asians; Pakistanis and such) criminals are not prosecuted as vigorously as they should be, because law enforcement is afraid of being called racist. The consequences for this sort of political correctness are decidedly nontrivial.

Is there any hard policy evidence of this, or is it more of a "soft" thing?

We can see it in this country. I've seen several stories coming out of the Baltimore area about police officers reluctant to make arrests in certain communities.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/blog/bs-md-ci-violence-surging-20150518-story.html#navtype=outfit&page=1

Rawlings-Blake also downplayed concerns expressed by some Baltimore officers that members of the force are hesitant to make arrests after prosecutors brought charges in the Gray case, and that criminals might take advantage.