Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

How Complex Can A Submachine Gun Be?

Huh, I've had loads of them apart, and never thought they were complicated.

Most of the functional components are overbuilt and finger friendly, and the silly things tend to keep working even with an incredible amount of fouling/crud infesting it.

Huh, I've had loads of them apart, and never thought they were complicated.

Most of the functional components are overbuilt and finger friendly, and the silly things tend to keep working even with an incredible amount of fouling/crud infesting it.

FWIW, the M1928 is supposed to be more complex than the M1.

The '28 and the M1 are functionally not that different. The M1 kept the pivoting hammer and firing pin of the earlier models, while making the bolt a simpler one piece unit.

The Blish lock was of dubious function in the pre M1's, so losing it was no great loss.

The M1A1 eliminated the hammer for a fixed firing pin. That was a step backward IMO, as I've seen M1A1's fire out of battery .

The fire control group, never really changed much at all.

Pretty much, the main differences between the M1 series and the earlier guns are concessions to simplify manufacture.

The Reising is functioning in a very similar manner to the Thompson,save it's FCG is more spread out, and it's firing from a closed rather than open bolt.

It does have a few more parts when compared to the M1 Thompson, but it's pretty much in the same realm of "meh, I don't see the issue" for me.

A Kriss Vector, MP5, or Zk383 are better examples of mechanically or functionally complex SMG's.

Better to think of it as a machine carbine, than a SMG.  The thing was really created before the idea of what a SMG should be and how it should be used were firmly cemented.

That's why you had oddities like the LMG variant.

I wish I had a PTRD that could be triggered... although if I ever get one, I might end up saying that every time someone else shoots it.

Although, there might be some kind of perverse reverse correlation between complexity and usability (ergonomics, controlability, etc) when it comes to SMG design. Sure, you can have very complex SMGs that are terrible to shoot, but are there any incredibly simple SMGs that are also easy and or comfortable to shoot?

I wish I had a PTRD that could be triggered... although if I ever get one, I might end up saying that every time someone else shoots it.

Although, there might be some kind of perverse reverse correlation between complexity and usability (ergonomics, controlability, etc) when it comes to SMG design. Sure, you can have very complex SMGs that are terrible to shoot, but are there any incredibly simple SMGs that are also easy and or comfortable to shoot?

Solothurn Si 100.

Everything that can be made from a milling, is.

Everything made from a stamping is done so under the greatest of protest and with great reluctance.

Everything else is made from leather, wood or spring steel.

As a result the things are fantastically well made, and heavy.

X7CR4ZH.jpg

L2YeIQY.jpg

Solothurn Si 100.

Everything that can be made from a milling, is.

Everything made from a stamping is done so under the greatest of protest and with great reluctance.

Everything else is made from leather, wood or spring steel.

As a result the things are fantastically well made, and heavy.

I should have clarified, simple to manufacture (and mass produce) as well as having a simple design. So, stampings, injection molding, things like that.

Even the design that I am working on isn't terribly simple. It has a fair number of complications (mostly just parts that require special fixturing to machine, or is inefficient to machine because of wasted material) as well as injection molded parts (very high entry cost, so must be done in high volume to be economical), but it should be fairly simple and robust in terms of operation, as well as being user friendly.

Crap, Meplat, you're going to get Tony Williams on this board posting stuff like that!

*shrugs*

The things are stupidly well made, yet incredibly simple. If that calls him, so be it..

I should have clarified, simple to manufacture (and mass produce) as well as having a simple design. So, stampings, injection molding, things like that.

Even the design that I am working on isn't terribly simple. It has a fair number of complications (mostly just parts that require special fixturing to machine, or is inefficient to machine because of wasted material) as well as injection molded parts (very high entry cost, so must be done in high volume to be economical), but it should be fairly simple and robust in terms of operation, as well as being user friendly.

You want a H&K UMP then.