Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

WoT v WT effort-thread

Toxn

Okay, so French tanks are here, and because of the staggering amounts of superfluous time in my life, I jumped right in.

Thoughts on Rank 1:

Rank 1 French tanks are pretty interesting as they have a unique combination of fantastic armor, mediocre speed and handling with guns ranging from awful to adequate.

Each sort of has their ups and downs as you'd expect, despite all playing fairly similarly.

So far I've played the AMC 34, H35, FCM 36, and H39. Of these, the H39 is by far the most capable tank. It has the best mobility, coupled with decent all around armor, and and adequate gun. I really reccomend getting the premium one in addition to the tech tree one. The AMC 34 is in a close second, trading hull armor protection and mobility for a 47mm with HE filler, something of a rarity among French tanks. I did not care for the H35 or the FCM 36. I found the short 37mm pretty inadequate against...well everything. The AMC 34 has that nice gun that was used effectively against myself, but it wasn't a tank I cared for.

General strategy is to fight defensively. You can be outmaneuvered by just about everything. While they have excellent protection, they aren't even close to invulnerable. German 20mms, Russian 45mm, and US 37mm guns are common and will pick your unfortunate tank apart. Just about everything else also out DPM's you. With that said, hull angling and hills, plus your tanks naturally sloped armor gets pretty effective against most of what you'll find. In any one on one fight you have to canter your hull to stay protected. Also moving the turret around helps, especially in the FCM36 which lacks any sort of significant gunshield protection.

Also worth noting, two man crews necessitate gunning for crew replacement as quickly as possible. Easy enough to do with the H39. Less so with the others.

After looking at the stats, I don't really feel that the French tanks are that much better than their British counterparts in the 6.0-6.7 rating (which is basically the tier 8 equivalent to WoT). I can get past the lack of armor, since you don't want to be getting shot anyways, but the gun performance is rather disappointing compared to the 20pdr. The French auto loading mechanism at that tier can sustain a 6.66 second reload for seven shots, before a 38 second reload, where as the 20pdr with a topped out crew will reload in 6.3 seconds. The 20pdr also has access to 285mm pen APDS, and not just APC or APCBC rounds with penetration ranging from 191-226mm as well as substantially less favorable auto-bounce angles. The British tanks also get 2 more degrees of gun depression.

The main trade offs between the two nations are that the British have much better ammunition with higher pen, more gun depression, and a faster peak rate of fire for the entire ammunition store. The Centurion turret it more than adequate for protecting you from return fire, and can allow to poke against lower rank opponents with a certain degree of protection. The French have a consistent reload rate, so a dead loader does not effect your burst RoF, and they are considerably faster than their British counterparts. The French also do not require you to have a highly trained crew to attain the high RoF.

For War Thunder, firepower and mobility are your primary concerns, and armor is a nice thing to have. The British have a substantial lead in firepower, and a have the turret armor to weather some fire, while the French have much better mobility combined with adequate firepower.

The main problem with the low tier french tanks is that they are using vintage ammunition and are facing upgraded versions of the Pz II, Pz III etc.

So the opposition have armor upgrades added after the battle of France to counter said low tier french, and on top of it has access to more advanced ammunition that were introduced late in the war

While the bad penetration makes sense (never had the time to develop better ammo or upgun our tanks), their armor (which should be their selling point) appear obsolete because they have to face ammunition that didn't even existed at this time.

5 hours ago, RobotMinisterofTrueKorea said:

I think the B1 ter is the worst premium tank I've driven in this game. It's front armor is a damned lie.

EDIT: Upon further reflection I was incorrect. Had some really good runs with it. Driver workload is very high though.

I've never had a problem with the front armor, I just have problems with Pz IVs and their 3 second reload with 100mm pen HEAT at 2.3. 

The B1 ter is a workable tank, but as you noticed, it requires a lot of effort to be effective with. I thought that it would be OP at 2.3, but it seems to fit just fine. I might even suggest lowering the B1 bis to 2.0. I Don't think that the ter with be raised to 2.7; it's firepower is wholly inadequate for facing 3.7. Also, it would be at the same rating as the M3 Lee, but slower, with less penetration, and lower RoF.

It's like Gaijin is reading my mind or something, but they added in the AD-4 Skyraider as a 6.0 Attack plane on the US tree this patch. It comes with a very nice new rocket loadout, 56 hydra 70s.  I just unlocked the Twin Mustang, and now Im doing the Skyraider, and then the 51H. 

I really enjoy air arcade battles, but really only the American planes.  

7 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Two or three years ago (when neither game was all that different to what each is now) you'd have maintained exactly the opposite. How things change!

This is true, I remember my hate for War Turd, times change.  Foolish game designers listen to the whiners and fuck up games...  Life goes on. 

We all remember the funny videos of War Thunder bugs; a Sherman skidding across the entire map, a shell bouncing off all the extra track links on a Jagdtiger and then penetrating the engine deck, etc. We also remember when WoT pretended to give a shit about historical research. Now the tables have turned. Whenever the War Thunder devs change a vehicle, they usually cite sources that form the basis of their rationale. Yes, there are still plenty of inaccuracies, but I don't think I ever saw WoT cite historical records as a reason for vehicle changes.

WoT on the other hand has stopped trying to balance vehicles around historical factors, and has started making things up whole cloth to shoehorn vehicles into places that they don't want to be. They have also prioritized releasing premium vehicles over tech tree vehicles, to the point where they radically alter the specs to make things fit tier 8. A great example is the T-103. The proposed specs of that vehicle have over double the armor thickness over spec in order to make it fit tier 8 better.

16 hours ago, Ulric said:

We all remember the funny videos of War Thunder bugs; a Sherman skidding across the entire map, a shell bouncing off all the extra track links on a Jagdtiger and then penetrating the engine deck, etc. We also remember when WoT pretended to give a shit about historical research. Now the tables have turned. Whenever the War Thunder devs change a vehicle, they usually cite sources that form the basis of their rationale. Yes, there are still plenty of inaccuracies, but I don't think I ever saw WoT cite historical records as a reason for vehicle changes.

WoT on the other hand has stopped trying to balance vehicles around historical factors, and has started making things up whole cloth to shoehorn vehicles into places that they don't want to be. They have also prioritized releasing premium vehicles over tech tree vehicles, to the point where they radically alter the specs to make things fit tier 8. A great example is the T-103. The proposed specs of that vehicle have over double the armor thickness over spec in order to make it fit tier 8 better.

WoT never had any pretensions about historical accuracy, and frankly I struggle to see how that's a serious concern. These are shooters not sims. I mean if the ranks of matchmade tanks from six different countries, many of which are prototypes doesn't trip your "historical inaccuracy" wire, then why is an invisible stat so egregious?

13 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

I think the more important point is they suck at balancing shit, listen to idiot players, and have ruined the game with outright idiotic decisions. 

On that I agree. It's not like I still play it. I think I stopped when they decided to release the Object 252 as premium, thus virtually obsolescing most tech tree tier 8 heavies. It got very p2w by then, on top of what was already a questionable business model. I'm still pretty sore about the whole thing.

WT couldn't really fill that void for me, but I guess at the end of the day I was really looking for a similarly unique competitive shooter, which IMO WT is not for technical reasons.