Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

WoT v WT effort-thread

Toxn

25 minutes ago, ApplesauceBandit said:

I seem to have bought two Thunderbolts, one being an airborne Stalin Jug, one being an Australian tank crewed by midget men.  Needed a Russian premium plane regardless, but hoping the AC IV is actually decent too.

Yeah I got the Stalin Jug too, cause it has a nice bomb load.   The Nazi P-47 got screwed in that area. The US P-47s are the best ground attack planes until the AD series comes into play. 

I picked up the Conqueror recently, since I need to purchase a couple more rank Vs before I unlock rank VI. Initially, I was kind of exciting to drive the tank, but it has been a bit of a let down. Sure, the L1 pokes things real good, but coming from the Centurion 3, the Conq has roughly 1/3 the rate of fire, and practically it doesn't poke things much harder than 20pdr APDS. The notable examples are being able to slice through IS-3 and 6 upper glacis as well as T28/95 frontal armor (which is hilarious to do). But I've found the 6.3 second reload of the 20pdr enough to offset this penetration difference. Compare this to the top reload of the L1 being 14.9 seconds, then take away 3 degrees of gun depression, and the extra pen just doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade. This long reload also reduces the utility of HESH, because you now have to plan these shots.

The Vickers MBT is an interesting change coming from the Centurions. Having an L7 with a reload time of 5 seconds flat (with a maxed out crew) does offset the lack of armor and reduced gun depression. The Vickers is considerably more mobile than the Cents, as well. All in all, the L7 is only a modest improvement over the 20pdr. HESH is not as reliable or damaging as one would expect, but it is incredibly useful against softer targets and side shots on tanks. The ADS does have slightly more penetration than 20pdr APDS, and is has the advantage of being free since it is the default round. The top reload on the Cent 10 is only 0.4 seconds longer than the Cent 3, so it is rarely an issue. The turret of the Mk 10 is a let down from the 3, though. The mantle is much smaller, and is thinner. Externally, they are both 200mm on the front, but the Mk 3 turret has an additional 20-100mm of armor behind the mantle.

HYR1g1n.jpg

wHDGn4B.jpg

Anyways, the Chieftains should be getting things back to normal of having a high pen, high RoF, gun with -10 degrees of depression, good turret armor and acceptable mobility.

So I just had an 8 kill 4 assist battle in the T14, and only died because I was being rambo trying to save the game from a loss, since the rest of the team sucked. I thought 4.3 was going to be high, but this thing would be unstoppable at 3.8. I never liked the WOT T14 so I had low expectations, and it's stats on paper are not great, but its fun and people have a hard time killing it. 

shot-2017.12.26-20.55.19-1600x900.jpg

13 hours ago, Ulric said:

There are emblems for the 501st armored regiment in WT, so I'm hopeful that this is a sign that French Panthers will be coming to the game.

I shamefully admit, I have a panther or two, or three, but only for intelligence purposes, and they all have French markings. They are the kinda tank that don't suck stock cause the gun is good. 

I assume you're liking the T14 then?  I assumed it'd be fairly disappointing.  The M4A2 is not doing so hot at the same BR and on paper at least looks similar.  The MG weakspot and fairly flat 76mm turret face mean I've generally not had issues with them.  Seeing as the KV-1 ZiS-3 is the same BR, does the T14 do much better at anything?

So do some tanks have a rangefinder you active somehow? or does it just make you gun more accurate?

It's not very useful in Arcade, it's more for Realistic Battles.

You basically have to bind a button for it, but in RB, you press that button and a timer bar will appear. When the bar finishes, you will get a range reading on your target. How accurate and how long the rangefinding is depends on your gunner's rangefinding skill.

Of course, not all tanks have this, only those with rangefinders, like the T-64A, M103, Conqueror, the M47/M48 Pattons, etc.

8 minutes ago, SuperComrade said:

It's not very useful in Arcade, it's more for Realistic Battles.

You basically have to bind a button for it, but in RB, you press that button and a timer bar will appear. When the bar finishes, you will get a range reading on your target. How accurate and how long the rangefinding is depends on your gunner's rangefinding skill.

Of course, not all tanks have this, only those with rangefinders, like the T-64A, M103, Conqueror, the M47/M48 Pattons, etc.

At least in the test drive all tanks have it. I tried it with a wide variety using the realistic battle settings, and even things like the T-35 have a range finding ability.

10 minutes ago, Ulric said:

At least in the test drive all tanks have it. I tried it with a wide variety using the realistic battle settings, and even things like the T-35 have a range finding ability.

Depends on what "mode" you tested.