Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

WoT v WT effort-thread

Toxn

1 hour ago, Sturgeon said:

Do those slide around like they are on ice and randomly blow up in one hit, too?

For the sliding part, avoid playing in arcade and play in RB or simulator battle, it will (mostly) fix the problem.

For the random blowing up, well weird shit still happen no matter what at times.

the moment you realize soviet APBC is performing much better against sloped armor than it should: 

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/419016-realistic-performance-of-soviet-flat-nosed-ap-shells-apbc/&do=findComment&comment=7711928

TL;DR, average performance drop of soviet flat nosed APBC against armor sloped at 60* (90 being vertical) was about 20% of it's penetration per given range, TAKEN FROM SOVIET SOURCES. In game, it's only 10%... cause muh super nuke shells need to nuke harder... 

conversely, standard AP (non capped) is slightly underperforming at the same angles (23-24% in game, 18-19% IRL)… no favoritism or anything... 

2 hours ago, Bronezhilet said:

Just when I buy my way into the Naval Beta, they release helicopter pre-order packs.

For

fucks

sake

I just spent my free Gaijin bucks that I got from the IS-7 event on an AMX-30 premium one day before the announced the Hind/T-55AM pack ......

13 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Yeah, I have no idea, even with a maxed driver, all the fast tanks drive like they are on ice. Even something like a T29 heavy skids around. 

It has to do with the engine output increase for arcade battles. I think they also artificially mess with terrain resistance values, climb angles, etc. Soviet mediums are really bad (or good, depending on how you want to look at it) about drifting like a boss. It takes time to get used to it, but you can do some serious stunt driving when you get used to it. Tanks that take forever to turn from a dead stop can whiplash around if you get them moving a little bit.

Also, make sure that your tracks and brakes are fully upgraded, they actually play a huge roll in how your tank handles. 

I've sort of given up on WT outside of tank RB. For plane RB (my other go-to) the endless cycle of waiting for a match, flying for 5-15 minutes to the objective and then getting insta-reamed because you can't into climb meta gets really old, really fast. Much as I'd like there to be plane markers in tank RB (because getting ganked by someone you can't see is realistic and unfun), I still find it more fun to fight in an arena where things are closer to the ground and the action pulls pilots down rather than letting them engage in an endless dick-measuring contest over altitude and positioning.

Regarding tank RB in tanks - I still find it more frustrating the higher up the BR range you get (3.0 still being about the most fun tier to play for me). I'm beginning to think that one solution might be to make semi-randomised maps (ie: out of inerlocking pieces which are stiched together to produce new combinations every time) and have more than one goddamn game mode. I'm also heartily sick of premium-itis, although I fully understand the magnetic pull that giving the whales what they want has on game devs.

The best advice I can give @Sturgeon ITO increasing his enjoyent factor at low levels is to stick with better vehicles (ie: avoid the low-tier French tonks like the plague) and to use basic tactics that provide consistent results regardless of the particular optimal places/paths that each map has. My go-tos: stick to shade and foliage cover wherever possible, never push ahead unless you're in a fast vehicle moving to an ambush position, never skyline yourself and keep to the edges of the map wherever possible. Oh, and take a fast vehicle with a decent gun (armour being mostly a joke unless you're in a handful of mostly-premium vehicles) for maximum enjoyment.

Other people who are less shit can chime in with better advice.

Edit: the above advice is, again, solely for tank RB.

39 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

@Ulric was correct that for some fucking reason RB's physics is much better. It also looks like the damage model is much more consistent. I enjoyed RBs a lot more (that is to say, at all).

Also, now this:

JPCLYhm.jpg

M4A1 is good and all, but M8 is godtier.

Personally: 

Arcade is for 2 kinds of people

1. People who say they hate WoT, but secretly wish they were playing WoT again. 

2. For people who love FPSes (CoD, BF, etc.) but also love tanks. 

Realistic is for the people who legit hated WoT and are trying to get away from it (only to be treated with plenty of arcade-ish nonsense).  

Simulator is for those people who want to play a realistic-ish tank game but don't want to play Steel Beasts. 

Air Arcade can be surprisingly fun with its fast paced, almost movie like action, and unlimited ammo (also like many action movies :P), as well as respawns. 

Air Realistic is as @Toxn said: 

“fly for 5-15 minutes only to get instantly smashed by someone whom climbed even harder than you”. 

Air sim... never really played it much, but everything is harder. Take-offs, landings, flying in general feels less responsive and more prone to over correction. Play at your own risk. 

11 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

Personally: 

Arcade is for 2 kinds of people

1. People who say they hate WoT, but secretly wish they were playing WoT again. 

2. For people who love FPSes (CoD, BF, etc.) but also love tanks. 

Realistic is for the people who legit hated WoT and are trying to get away from it (only to be treated with plenty of arcade-ish nonsense).  

Simulator is for those people who want to play a realistic-ish tank game but don't want to play Steel Beasts. 

Air Arcade can be surprisingly fun with its fast paced, almost movie like action, and unlimited ammo (also like many action movies :P), as well as respawns. 

Air Realistic is as @Toxn said: 

“fly for 5-15 minutes only to get instantly smashed by someone whom climbed even harder than you”. 

Air sim... never really played it much, but everything is harder. Take-offs, landings, flying in general feels less responsive and more prone to over correction. Play at your own risk. 

Correction: sim is for people who like to wait for 15 minutes before being dumped into a match with one other player.

3 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

3.3 to 3.7 is really a sweet spot in RB for the US line.  The M4A1 is great at 3.3 and the M10 is a monster at 3.7.

27 minutes ago, Toxn said:

Agreed, although M10 needs a bit of skill to play really well.

That 3 inch M7 at 3.7 was just too good to be true, though I guess the slow, open turret was compensation for being able to kill everything at most ranges and angles. 

Though if you really want to experience “easy mode” play the T-34-85s, preferably the D-5T version as it’s slightly lower in BR. IS-1 is also a crime, being placed at 5.3 yet being superior to the T-34-85 I’m many ways (IMO). 

35 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

That 3 inch M7 at 3.7 was just too good to be true, though I guess the slow, open turret was compensation for being able to kill everything at most ranges and angles. 

Though if you really want to experience “easy mode” play the T-34-85s, preferably the D-5T version as it’s slightly lower in BR. IS-1 is also a crime, being placed at 5.3 yet being superior to the T-34-85 I’m many ways (IMO). 

I actually got the IS-1 recently. It's the first tank I've had whose armour is actually worth a damn. You still get BTFO by every jackass who can aim well enough to hit your mantlet or that stupid quarter plate thingy on the hull, but actualy taking a few hits and coming back for more just feels sooo right. I'm working towards the T-34-85 too :)

Some of my most easy-mode tonks, which I scrupulously avoid playing because I'm a good person and want my family to respect me, are the PzIV E/F1 (they're pretty much the same), F2 and Puma. 

Worst tonk for me so far? Definitely the tumour.

Like, I've joked about playing it whenever I want to hate myself more. But it's no joke. This thing makes me hate myself and long for the sweet oblivion of death. It exists entirely as a testament to masochism and to give the other incredibly shitty low-tier French tanks something to rag on.