Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

WoT v WT effort-thread

Toxn

OK, I saw it was on sale and decided it would be a good time to pick up an STA-2, which is a tank I really like the looks of, but that is supposed to be not that great.

Not. That. Great:

yxnGAvP.jpg

20DxpzB.jpg

n5Tfnuq.jpg

It should be noted this was my very first battle with it. I did farm about 1200 damage on a very stupid FCM 50t (that I still managed to get hit a few times by because I fucked up some of my shots - skreb lyfe), but overall I approve of this tank. It is basically an excellent gun on a decent chassis.

• 2 weeks later...

It actually is enormous considering the second half of the entire thing is a big hydroplane for fast cruising on water like the EFV was supposed to have before it got axed while still being required to carry at least 8 soldiers in addition to the 3 (or 4, see below) crewman.

Statistically speaking, Chinese tend to be the tallest East Asians. =p (Though still noticeably shorter on average then most Caucasians.)

Plus it has a crew of 4 as it's one of the few tanks in their inventory (the 105mm Variant is considered a light tank) not based on an old soviet design that doesn't feature an autoloader, I sure as hell would hope I'd have room inside a vehicle that's fast traveling on rough waters while being expected to support a shore landing with any accuracy at all.

Oh, so it's not just swim-capable like a BMP, it's actually like an AAV?

Yeah, the ZBD2000/ZTD05 series was specifically designed for deep water deployments and speed/good control on the water.

Pictures with said hydroplane actually unfolded.

76a68979fa43f56e.jpg

ZTD-05_kineskilesentenk_1.jpg

(Light tank version carries no passengers, needs the room for ammunition and water FCS.)

Well there's 2 types.

An IFV (ZBD2000) with a 30mm gun and light ATGMs that has 3 crew + 8 passengers with a smaller turret, and the Light tank (ZTD05) which is just 4 crewman (it requires a dedicated loader as it doesn't use an autoloader.)

They use the same chassis but the ZTD05 is obviously layed out really differently inside.