Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Food and Putting it in Our Faces

So SH foodies, what is your favorite simple sandwich?  5 ingredients or less.

I'm nomming on a Keilbasa/Cheddar/yellow mustard/bread/margarine sandwich and it's pretty tasty. Would usually use butter, but I'm out, so semi-acceptable margarine is in use.

Sourdough, thick slices of smoked ham, cheddar cheese, mayo and yellow mustard. 

Amateur hour, Mr.Paul. 

Pitmaster sandwich from Pecan Lodge. (Brisket+Pulled pork+ Sausage, topped with slaw, bbq sauce & fresh sliced jalapeños) for 9 glorious dollars. 

2cHxsyr.jpg

Hot mess from sam BBQ place (Jumbo sea salt-crusted sweet potato, South Texas barbacoa (shredded brisket with southwestern seasoning), chipotle cream, cheese, butter & green onions.) Also 9 glorious dollars. 

hK9JXVm.jpg

'Murica. 

We sell our salmon at local farmers markets. When the market is over, many of the venders will trade with each other since the fruits and veggies are perishable items which will otherwise get dumped into the compost. Given that our food is non-perishable (frozen/smoked) we are able to leverage the value trading a small piece of smoked fish for instance for an entire bushel of corn or peaches.

Today we got something called a "Kohlrabi" which is a German cabbage...thingy... I guess.

Now we must needs figure out what to do with it.

GreenKohlrabi.jpg

We sell our salmon at local farmers markets. When the market is over, many of the venders will trade with each other since the fruits and veggies are perishable items which will otherwise get dumped into the compost. Given that our food is non-perishable (frozen/smoked) we are able to leverage the value trading a small piece of smoked fish for instance for an entire bushel of corn or peaches.

Today we got something called a "Kohlrabi" which is a German cabbage...thingy... I guess.

Now we must needs figure out what to do with it.

GreenKohlrabi.jpg

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-kohlrabi-and-carrot-slaw-recipes-from-the-kitchn-46627

Tonight is panzarotti.  There are various ways of doing panzos/calzones. this one is basically a small thin crust pizza folded over and sealed then baked.

Mozzarella, Hot sausage, ground beef, basil, garlic, tomato sauce.  They serve marinara on the side to dip it in if you want.

What is everyone favorite style of pizza and favorite toppings? 

Tonight is panzarotti.  There are various ways of doing panzos/calzones. this one is basically a small thin crust pizza folded over and sealed then baked.

Mozzarella, Hot sausage, ground beef, basil, garlic, tomato sauce.  They serve marinara on the side to dip it in if you want.

What is everyone favorite style of pizza and favorite toppings? 

No favourite style of topping, but homemade dough and sauce is awesome.

Homemade pizza sauce: Good quality canned tomatoes, garlic, oregano, fresh cracked pepper, salt.  Simmer for 45 minutes.  I'm not a big fan of chunky pizza sauce so after it's done, I might throw it in the blender.

My version: to the above; add a bit of tomato paste, olive oil, basil and a tiny splash of vinegar. Cook until the tomato chunks come apart and there has been a bit of caramelization at the bottom of the pan. Stir with a spoon to mix in the bottom stuff and mash the tomato bits. 

The sauce should be thick enough to spread using the bottom of a spoon.

Edit: herbs should be fresh and roughly chopped for best effect.

Edit 2: the above sauce is exceedingly good on fresh dough of varying thicknesses, with cheese and toppings of course. Just remember to make a zone of un-cheesed sauce near the crust to get that wonderful burnt tomato flavour. For toppings I'm pretty lazy: feta, mushrooms, salami and onions feature heavily.

When I'm up in Alaska, one of the things that I miss the most is fresh dairy and fresh fruit.

So it is little surprise that I've been mainlining dairy products and fresh produce from the farmers markets.

Particularly watermelon. I have been stuffing my face with watermelon nonstop, eating a quarter of a melon a day.

I'm weird. I love cabbage rolls but I cannot stand the taste of cooked cabbage, so I normally just eat the filling. :P

I did the same thing when I was young but I like it now. Having an Irish father and Ukrainian mother kind of doomed me to eating cabbages in every meal. 

I did the same thing when I was young but I like it now. Having an Irish father and Ukrainian mother kind of doomed me to eating cabbages in every meal. 

helluva combo, then again you get to live in the better part of the Mason-Dixon line for resturants, so it even out in the end