Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Food and Putting it in Our Faces

When I'm up in Alaska, one of the things that I miss the most is fresh dairy and fresh fruit.

So it is little surprise that I've been mainlining dairy products and fresh produce from the farmers markets.

Particularly watermelon. I have been stuffing my face with watermelon nonstop, eating a quarter of a melon a day.

Same. We get about one last go before it's all apples and butternut squash in PA until winter, so I was just sucking down cantaloupes and red/yellow watermelons. They make great drinks as well.

Голубці (holubtsi) stuffed cabbage. 

Nf0gRAj.jpg

Between horror stories about Bolsheviks and "re-assignments" in the old country, my Ukrainian babysitters used to feed us this stuff they called Vareniki (lived in a neighborhood of displaced Central and Eastern European families). They were sort of like pierogies. They probably weren't as tasty as I remember, but whenever I see pierogies, I get nostalgic for vareniki.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Everyone's favorite Colorado-based burrito bar is expanding into Arizona with the obvious repercussions. 

Illegal Pete's Owner Says He Won't Change the Name of His Restaurant.

Illegal Pete's also pays its workers on average two dollars higher than other fast food places, starting $11, plus offers medical insurance, dental, paid vacation and food allowances.

Illegal Pete's serves your standard "Mission" style food, which originated in San Francisco.

IllegalPetesBurrito.jpg

photo-5.jpg

Being a Mark 1 Civilian, I have enjoyed most of the MREs I've eaten. The main reason is the novelty. "Oh boy! We get to play with the MRE heater! Ain't this grand. Now we get to try to jam all the food inside it and lean it against a rock. Or something. Hey! This pork sandwich thing almost tastes like a pork sandwich. Yay! Cheese spread. And tobassco sauce! Neat! Here's a spoon and Don gets to make the same joke he always does about the spoon doubling as an entrenching tool. They gave us a gum chiclet. Man it taste bad! Hey. There is a book of matches! I'll save them with the other bunch of MRE matches that I've collected."

We also always keep a few MREs on the boat during fishing just in case there's no time to get back to the cabin to make real food before turning right back around to fish some more. Then we eat the MREs like starving refugees, hunched over the food, staring furtively about, wolfing everything down and licking the wrappers clean of any scraps. MRE heater? Got not time for that shit. Eat it COLD!

MRE heaters are good for 1) pranks and 2) hand warmers.  The meals are good for making sure you don't shit for a week. 

Wasn't there a study done in the '90s saying that constipation was mostly due to soldiers not eating the entire recommended meal, combined with outside influences and extra-curricular athletics?

Everyone's favorite Colorado-based burrito bar is expanding into Arizona with the obvious repercussions. 

Illegal Pete's Owner Says He Won't Change the Name of His Restaurant.

Illegal Pete's also pays its workers on average two dollars higher than other fast food places, starting $11, plus offers medical insurance, dental, paid vacation and food allowances.

Illegal Pete's serves your standard "Mission" style food, which originated in San Francisco.

IllegalPetesBurrito.jpg

photo-5.jpg

One of the best things about eating burritos in Mexico is no rice or lettuce or whatever. They're usually the same size as here, but packed 60% meat, 40% beans. You can usually ask for some queso fresco or avocado if you want.

Wasn't there a study done in the '90s saying that constipation was mostly due to soldiers not eating the entire recommended meal, combined with outside influences and extra-curricular athletics?

My anecdotal experience with eating the whole meal was akin to dumping a funnel full of concrete up my ass.