Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Food and Putting it in Our Faces

Friday is payday, but due to the season and paying for Star Wars, Bele is broke. So I threw together a curry out of what I had in the freezer/cupboard, and some mushrooms that were use or toss.  So it's 3 diced chicken tits, onion, mushrooms, corn, red lentils, garam masala, black pepper, garlic, yellow curry powder, cayanne pepper, black pepper.

Simmering on the stove.  Hoping it turns out tasty.

The "Whatdowegot?" dishes or some of my favorite where you figure out how to use up things you have.

For the Ward household, we too have chicken breast that are sizzled in a cast iron frying pan with a hard cider, citrus and various seasonings. Also Yukon Gold potatoes that we picked up at "Used Food" for a good price.

The "Whatdowegot?" dishes or some of my favorite where you figure out how to use up things you have.

For the Ward household, we too have chicken breast that are sizzled in a cast iron frying pan with a hard cider, citrus and various seasonings. Also Yukon Gold potatoes that we picked up at "Used Food" for a good price.

When you have little, being creative can often yield good results, if you have a clue x four.

Mouth is burning. Curry is tasty.  Added some cooked rice into it, and stirred it up. Should get a few freezer containers out of it.  :)

Friday is payday, but due to the season and paying for Star Wars, Bele is broke. So I threw together a curry out of what I had in the freezer/cupboard, and some mushrooms that were use or toss.  So it's 3 diced chicken tits, onion, mushrooms, corn, red lentils, garam masala, black pepper, garlic, yellow curry powder, cayanne pepper, black pepper.

Simmering on the stove.  Hoping it turns out tasty.

Post pictures 

• 4 weeks later...

Tamale Thursday pics:

mqe1kaq.jpg

At work, we do them traditional style: soak corn in water and slaked lime for like a day, then grind it into dough, etc. But since I'm at home and fuck all of that, this is made with maseca, essentially a corn flour.  It gets a good taste, but the straight-up corn masa is in a league of its own. The filling is pork shoulder with home-made sofrito with some green olives. Lemmy is frame-right providing supervision.

Tamale Thursday pics:

mqe1kaq.jpg

At work, we do them traditional style: soak corn in water and slaked lime for like a day, then grind it into dough, etc. But since I'm at home and fuck all of that, this is made with maseca, essentially a corn flour.  It gets a good taste, but the straight-up corn masa is in a league of its own. The filling is pork shoulder with home-made sofrito with some green olives. Lemmy is frame-right providing supervision.

You have got to doxx yourself so I can eat some of that stuff.

I ate at Chick-fil-A for the first time ever in my life tonight. I am generally opposed to supporting carpet-bagging out of state franchises which come into the Seattle area. It's bad enough that I have to drive on the same roads with Californians and other out-of-staters who can't drive worth shit, I don't have to eat their food too.

A year or so ago, Chick-fil-A opened its first Northwest restaurant in Bellevue, which is a suburb of Seattle where all the rich BMW driving Yuppies live. Since we had a fish delivery in the area, the Captain and I decided to stop there. She was excited having grown up in Florida being able to finally eat at one here. Me, well, I tried not to by too much of a grump about it.

The result?

It was OK and actually pretty good. But certainly not for the cost and time investment involved. Since it opened the lines to even get into the parking lot are 10-15 minutes long. It took about a half an hour to get in an order, get the food and leave. Three chicken sandwiches, a large waffle fries, a frosted lemonade and milk shake came in at $23.24. 

In its favor, the chicken was moist and the sandwiches actually looked like what the pictures showed them to be. The waffle fries were OK. The frosted lemonade and shakes were OK. Better than Jack n the Box but not close to what you'd get from a local chain like Kidd Valley or Burgerville from the Oregon/SW Washington area.

All in all, I don't feel the urge to go back again.

I ate at Chick-fil-A for the first time ever in my life tonight. I am generally opposed to supporting carpet-bagging out of state franchises which come into the Seattle area. It's bad enough that I have to drive on the same roads with Californians and other out-of-staters who can't drive worth shit, I don't have to eat their food too.

A year or so ago, Chick-fil-A opened its first Northwest restaurant in Bellevue, which is a suburb of Seattle where all the rich BMW driving Yuppies live. Since we had a fish delivery in the area, the Captain and I decided to stop there. She was excited having grown up in Florida being able to finally eat at one here. Me, well, I tried not to by too much of a grump about it.

The result?

It was OK and actually pretty good. But certainly not for the cost and time investment involved. Since it opened the lines to even get into the parking lot are 10-15 minutes long. It took about a half an hour to get in an order, get the food and leave. Three chicken sandwiches, a large waffle fries, a frosted lemonade and milk shake came in at $23.24. 

In its favor, the chicken was moist and the sandwiches actually looked like what the pictures showed them to be. The waffle fries were OK. The frosted lemonade and shakes were OK. Better than Jack n the Box but not close to what you'd get from a local chain like Kidd Valley or Burgerville from the Oregon/SW Washington area.

All in all, I don't feel the urge to go back again.

Sounds typical of busy areas/times. Chick-Fil-A is far from my favorite restrunt, but I typically patronize it when I want to get food as quickly as possible. Our local one handles even high volumes well.

Sounds typical of busy areas/times. Chick-Fil-A is far from my favorite restrunt, but I typically patronize it when I want to get food as quickly as possible. Our local one handles even high volumes well.

When it first opened, there were traffic jams around the block. It was a Saturday evening and we were fortunate to get into the parking lot just before the traffic jam backed up onto the street. The place was clean, the service was polite, the food was decent. Yeah, I know they're a good Christian-run restaurant that closes on Sunday and doesn't like the homos. But I just don't get the hype. For the money, I'd rather go to my local Dick's, Kidd Valley, Triple-XXXPick-Quick or any similar local burger joint.

When it first opened, there were traffic jams around the block. It was a Saturday evening and we were fortunate to get into the parking lot just before the traffic jam backed up onto the street. The place was clean, the service was polite, the food was decent. Yeah, I know they're a good Christian-run restaurant that closes on Sunday and doesn't like the homos. But I just don't get the hype. For the money, I'd rather go to my local Dick's, Kidd Valley, Triple-XXXPick-Quick or any similar local burger joint.

I wouldn't go to CFA if it was jammed around the block, either.

I think for a lot of people the selling point is that they're not a chain that practically treats you with contempt.

Today's dinner.

JamaicanDinner_zpsvkopv6ln.jpg

Jamaican Jerk pork, with rice and peas, and coleslaw.  The gravy in that styrofoam cup is so freaking good it should be illegal.

Ok Tried the same place's Jerk Chicken.  Jerk Pork is better.  I don't regret the purchase, but the jerk pork is substantially more meat, and better tasting.

Gravy is still fucking amazing.

Supremely cold weather so I made Chili yesterday.

1.25 kg ground beef, 300 g Mexican' sausage from no frills, dried ancho chili, 3 poblano peppers, 1 red bell pepper, 1 green bell pepper, tomatoes, onions,Kidney and black beans, mushrooms, garlic, Worcestershire, chili powder, cumin, siracha.