Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Food and Putting it in Our Faces

Thankfully i make more than enough money, and dont have nearly enough friends/wives to mean i wont starve

i dont know why they destroyed it when it could of been given to the poor, but i guess the party know's best 

*packs up in a BTR-50 to go buy burgers in Minsk* 

I'm not sure if this deserves its own thread but a question on eggs. Particularly fried eggs. I prefer mine with runny yokes (over easy) which lends itself to the culinary pleasure of sopping up the leftover yoke with a well-buttered piece of toast.

My wife on the other hand prefers her eggs cooked until they are rubbery enough to bounce. True this lowers the risk of salmonella. But it also takes away the joy de vivre of a traditional English or American breakfast.

Which egg perpetration is the breakfast master race?

Well over a month from the chicken. A lot depends on how you store the eggs and in what temperature.

We enhance the lifespan of our eggs that we ship up on the barge to Alaska by coating them liberally in vegetable oil. This will extend the lifespan out past three months. If you keep them in a bucket of oil I've heard they last longer.

My wife's dad remembers going to the root cellar and fishing eggs out of a white oily substance back in the 1950s/60s.

I'm not sure if this deserves its own thread but a question on eggs. Particularly fried eggs. I prefer mine with runny yokes (over easy) which lends itself to the culinary pleasure of sopping up the leftover yoke with a well-buttered piece of toast.

My wife on the other hand prefers her eggs cooked until they are rubbery enough to bounce. True this lowers the risk of salmonella. But it also takes away the joy de vivre of a traditional English or American breakfast.

Which egg perpetration is the breakfast master race?

According to Alton Brown there's less than a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting salmonella in your yolk anyway, and then you bring that chance of infection even lower by cooking it. So unless she's pregnant and you want to be completely safe she has very little to fear from yolks.

Oh, and my favorite egg is the Ajitamago - which is a soft-boiled egg brined in a bit of mirin and soy sauce; and is a required element of any good Japanese ramen except the Hanamaruken Happiness Ramen - which is the single manliest Ramen in the world and needs no puny egg to make it better.

(Why is the quirkily named Hanamaruken Happiness Ramen so manly? Well take a look at this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BCvzCmTagPA/UwGiZMgIC0I/AAAAAAAAQgQ/4pLxvQs9TuI/s1600/3-hanamaruken-ramen-manila-copyright-yedycalaguas-yedylicious-manilafoodblog.JPG

Yes, that is an entire pork rib in the ramen, floating on top of a rich porky broth. And this is a pork rib which has been so boiled and tenderized that the bones are now as soft as pork fat and can be eaten as such.)

====

If we're talking about a home-cooked egg for breakfast though then scrambled for me; primarily because you get the creaminess without the cleanup mess poaching usually becomes.

Anybody here heard about Shaverma? It is Russian Taco.

r17198.jpg

Seems to be a variant of the Turkish Shawarma; which is actually pretty close to some forms of Mexican Taco. (Yes, this is what Tony Stark wanted to eat at the end of Avengers). Main difference in the Mexican version would be a corn tortilla wrap rathern a flour one and of course different meats and herbs, but the construction is basically the same - drop the meat and veg on top of a tortilla, roll like a cone with the contents inside, then plop some sauce into the opening.

The Turkish version widely available in the Philippines as a street food - in my early twenties I ate one almost every night from a stall that sells one for only $1 on the way home (beef + cabbage) - while strangely enough I've never seen the Mexican corn tortilla version sold anywhere. Bourdain swears by the Mexican version though, which has tongue for the meat and guacamole for the sauce. The best local version I've found is a Sunday Market version for $3 that is packed with lamb instead of beef.

One of my favorite trucks here called Mishas Kitchen has them sometimes.

Russian food note, DFW is sorely lacking proper Slavic cuisine. 

We have exactly one slavic food chain - appropriately enough it's called "Balkan" and it supposed to serve Yugoslavian (!) cuisine.

Don't know how well they managed to capture the flavors using Filipino ingredients but the Goulash is pretty good.