Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Death of AMD

The development mule has a LGA1150 processor, but the release system is bound to be AMD to the core - the AMD branded RAM and SSD's finally make sense

I'm torn on this subject. On one hand branding. On the other hand, actually making the tech demo blatantly amazing. It's a tech demo for Fiji after all.

Then in a year:

Hey guys we have a processor good enough to put in the quantum.

Actually, initial spec for Zen is that APUs and CPUs will share the same architecture, just that Zen will replace the iGPU with more cores. Up in the air of this replaces the HBM as well, but bets are that Zen will max out at 24 cores since it'd be too much design effort to remove the HBM.

Leaked slide

2015-04-13-image-8.jpg

Due to shape, this might be a server APU, so desktop will likely cut this down 8, maybe 12 cores. I really have no clue who in the hell will be able to make use of a desktop CPU with 12 cores and hyperthreading.

I've watched, casually, for a few years, and similar thoughts have occurred to me.  AMD's stuff just seems weaksauce, and it seems like it's stayed that way for years.

But actually, the remarkable thing is that this game of back and forth has gone on for as long as it has.  Usually, the long-term trend is for companies to avoid constant, direct competition like this.  It's expensive for both of them.  So AMD differentiating into a lower price range makes sense, as they can avoid some of the heat of going head to head with Intel year after year.

I've watched, casually, for a few years, and similar thoughts have occurred to me.  AMD's stuff just seems weaksauce, and it seems like it's stayed that way for years.

But actually, the remarkable thing is that this game of back and forth has gone on for as long as it has.  Usually, the long-term trend is for companies to avoid constant, direct competition like this.  It's expensive for both of them.  So AMD differentiating into a lower price range makes sense, as they can avoid some of the heat of going head to head with Intel year after year.

Actually it doesn't, AMD tried to do that and it's crippled the company. CPU competition usually isn't a value proposition, price isn't as huge a concern when talking server farms that need constant, good performance. AMD is too hot for mobile, at least until Godavari/Carizzo and the coming Bristol Ridge, so AMD is left underpeforming per dollar in desktop.

This is why Intel, and even Nvidia have long histories of near to illegal anticompetitive activities because it is expensive as hell to compete in the CPU market for server and workstation use. Mobile is a bit less strenuous, not only is the market huge but buyers tend to be less picky.

Their CPUs are. Their GPUs have been very competitive, and have generally aged better than NV parts.

The big problem is they tried to make a real serious play for server marketshare, and really messed up their architecture by going in the opposite direction of what would give a good product in basically every single market segment. Hopefully they'll have a good one coming out soon, just in time for APUs to become a very viable product. If their CPU pans out right, they could be in a great position to challenge Intel in the absolutely huge space of people who don't use a dGPU. Even matching sandy bridge would get them close enough to compete very well on superior graphics. Plus, that'd let them gouge into NV's lower end discrete marketshare.

Sand Bridge is likely going to get surpassed with Bristol Ridge, Carrizo/Godavari already show near Sandy Bridge performance, although clocks still aren't comparable. I guess it'd been too much to ask of AMD to give one last hurrah for FX on 6th gen construction cores, as a Godavari vs Vishera isn't even a contest on strict CPU side.

I dunno, just want an excuse to not completely trash what I have now.

Sand Bridge is likely going to get surpassed with Bristol Ridge, Carrizo/Godavari already show near Sandy Bridge performance, although clocks still aren't comparable. I guess it'd been too much to ask of AMD to give one last hurrah for FX on 6th gen construction cores, as a Godavari vs Vishera isn't even a contest on strict CPU side.

I dunno, just want an excuse to not completely trash what I have now.

I'm talking straight up outright Sandy Bridge single core instructions per clock performance there. I don't think that's too unreasonable if they go for IPC like they said they were going, and that'd make it close enough that things relying on a single strong core would be a lot less brutal.