Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Help this old man pick out a fan for his Secondary rig

Sometime a few months ago i felt that usual hole in my heart that can only be filled with Achohol, food, firearms, or computers. So this time on the rotation i decided to build a secondary rig.

Im in the market for a CPU fan, i would like to spend around 50 US dollars worth. Just dipping beyond practicality into eye candy territory but stopping just short of the Liquid Cooled minefields.  I could always pickup a Cooler Master hyper but my mentallity going into this is the best performance i can get out of one fan for below 70 dollars.

Here are two that stand out

Thermaltake CL-P0466 SpinQ Quiet Copper Heatpipe Univrsal CPU Cooler for 60 dollars exactly, free shipping

51lzLl3WRRL._SX300_.jpg

and for the possibly over hyped brand due to wehrabooism

Noctua NH-U12 S for 66.60 dollars (hail Satan) and free shipping. Normally goes for over 100 from what ive seen

71kqiAp40nL._SL1259_.jpg

So there you go, im not concerned with looks, even though the Noctua looks like shit, just which one would you recommend for raw performance

Cooler Master 212 and a better fan is a strong contender, it's very good, and excellent for the price.

The Noctua is pretty decent and plenty sufficient for most non-serious overclocked CPUs, with a pretty big focus on noise.

EVGA's ACX CPU cooler is apparently a top notch heatsink, but it wants a fan replacement to shine.