Sturgeon's House

2 minutes ago, Renegade334 said:

What about resilience to HEAT jets? Do the air bubbles help with that or is the mitigation negligible?

If the foam is filled with something (fuel, maybe) then it could provide decent HEAT protection.

Against APFSDS it won't do much.

9 hours ago, Xlucine said:

Metal foam should just act like a whipple shield against HEAT (i.e. probably quite good against the jet tip)

But isn't a HEAT jet quite different from something floating/flying around in space? Sure the speeds involved might be the same, but if you encounter something with the length of a precursor (~5 cm) in space, you're still royally fucked I think.

19 hours ago, Toxn said:

If the foam is filled with something (fuel, maybe) then it could provide decent HEAT protection.

Against APFSDS it won't do much.

For as far as I know diesel filled armour only works when it's confined:

f390ba35c6.png

If the shockwave doesn't/can't reflect back to the jet it won't slow it down.

NERA & ERA from South-Africa

HA.jpg

HEAVY AMOUR

• Development of heavy amour systems primarily for application in Main battle tanks.
  • This configuration has up to date defeated the following threats:
  1. 105mm KE Mk 3 – 530mm pen
  2. 120mm KEW – ± 600mm pen
  3. 120mm F1 KE – ± 640 mm pen
  4. 180mm HEAT warhead – 1300mm pen
  5. TOW II HEAT warhead 1000 mm pen
  6. 53/145mm tandem HEAT warhead – 1100mm pen

alk-2.jpg

Ingwe ATGM being tested against armor

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Kal
      So it looks flimsy, slightly inclined,  Is this some type of nera?

Using a mesh/slats would've been cheaper just for standoff, so its more than that?
    • By Militarysta
      Well known APC Rosomak in Afgan. version armour:

Orginally it was israeli but after that it was produced by polish company "Mikanit":
      http://www.mikanit.com.pl/produkty/oslony-balistyczne.html

Now, we know patent draws and description:

Composition:
      2 mm HHS + air + 6,7 mm HHS + 5 mm composite + 5 mm composite + 5 mm composite + 3,5 mm HHS + 35 mm air gap + 3,5 mm HHS + 5 mm composite + 5 mm composite + 3,5 mm HHS + 35 mm air gap  + 20 mm aluminium + 5 mm aluminium.
      There is possibility that layout could be 4+3 (composite) and single composite layer can have up to 6mm thick and single HHS layer can have  4mm thickness. Layers can be separate up to 45mm.

Accoding to manufacurer this armour can protect against ATGM and RPG's up to 500mm RHA penetration.

Whole armour is combat proven in Afganistan - there are known some "Rosomak" whit 3x RPG's hits diretly in to this armour - no penetration at all, no engine damage. 

• By eggs benedict
      hello everyone!
      so i read that the T-90 shares the T-72B turret , thus BDD armor , however this documentary (?) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKGv5JQBTI8 says "aluminums and plastics".
      is this any legit? did they like , keep the t72b cavity design and change the fill?

also , did the combination on new welded towers change?
    • By Collimatrix
      Most historical arms and armor were made of metal, leather and stone.  This is the thread for historical weapons and armor made of weird shit.

This is an example of armor made from the Gilbert islands made of thick, woven coconut fiber.  The helmet is made from a pufferfish.

I've seen a set similar to this in another museum.  The woven fiber body armor looked like it would be reasonably effective.  Coconut husk is pretty tough and the vest was very thick.  I wasn't so sure about the helmet.

The Gilbertese were also the foremost users of shark's tooth weapons, although other Polynesians used them as well:

Several historical examples I've seen are these strange, branching designs:

Polynesians were not the only ones to use teeth in their arms.  The Mycenian Greeks made helmets out of boars teeth.  One such helmet is described in the Iliad, and there are a few archeological discoveries of such:

And finally, a club used by Inuits made from the penis-bone of a walrus: