• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

NERA & ERA from South-Africa     Ingwe ATGM being tested against armor

Polish simple NERA armour= better cut-viev:     the same descibe here:        

Made in iraq, IIRC with external support. It's NERA all right, here's a better look at the cutaway section:

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Renegade334 said:

What about resilience to HEAT jets? Do the air bubbles help with that or is the mitigation negligible?

If the foam is filled with something (fuel, maybe) then it could provide decent HEAT protection.

Against APFSDS it won't do much.

9 hours ago, Xlucine said:

Metal foam should just act like a whipple shield against HEAT (i.e. probably quite good against the jet tip)

But isn't a HEAT jet quite different from something floating/flying around in space? Sure the speeds involved might be the same, but if you encounter something with the length of a precursor (~5 cm) in space, you're still royally fucked I think.

19 hours ago, Toxn said:

If the foam is filled with something (fuel, maybe) then it could provide decent HEAT protection.

Against APFSDS it won't do much.

For as far as I know diesel filled armour only works when it's confined:

f390ba35c6.png

If the shockwave doesn't/can't reflect back to the jet it won't slow it down.

• 1 month later...

NERA & ERA from South-Africa

HA.jpg

HEAVY AMOUR

• Development of heavy amour systems primarily for application in Main battle tanks.
  • This configuration has up to date defeated the following threats:
  1. 105mm KE Mk 3 – 530mm pen
  2. 120mm KEW – ± 600mm pen
  3. 120mm F1 KE – ± 640 mm pen
  4. 180mm HEAT warhead – 1300mm pen
  5. TOW II HEAT warhead 1000 mm pen
  6. 53/145mm tandem HEAT warhead – 1100mm pen

alk-2.jpg

Ingwe ATGM being tested against armor

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I've found some interesting issue

People from Polish Institute of Organic Industry (IPO) have shown how important is front plate in protection against shaped charges. The liner loses the most of its energy in first 30% to 35% of its route in the armor. 

jaYL82M.png

And because of that the best is when the front plate is made of material which has the best protection against shaped charges and is as thick as it's possible.

In this case there were two arrays of metal (Ti-Al) composite tested. Both of them had the same weight but one version (V1) had thick (10mm) titanium layer on the face. The second one (V2) had this layer on the rear.

The research has shown that V1 has better mass (Em = 2.04) and thickness efficiency (Ev = 1.55) than V2 (Em = 1.4; Ev = 1.15) against shaped charges.

Composites alone had:

- V1 - Em = 4.26, Ev = 2.14

- V2 - Em = 2.84, Ev = 1.43

Y38PlVZ.png

Source: https://www.docdroid.net/YBkruhn/6wilk-badania-skutecznosci-obronnej.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Zadlo said:

How DU works as an armor

https://docdro.id/gFliFU4

eSDCE5w.png

yeah, um, not really. For modern ammunition, and the velocities they impact at, DU (and tungsten and steel) all undergo adiabatic (constant mass) shearing; basically the forces are so great and happen so quickly, the material cannot plastically deform in any meaningful way, and simply disintegrates. This can be seen in still-frames of high velocity test KE penetrators impacting hard targets, and how both the ‘penetrator’ and ‘armor’ turn to a noticeable plume of dust at the impact point. It’s not so much penetration, or deformation, as it is atomization. 

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Zadlo said:

Typhoon, Medved, BMD-4, BTR-80/82, Boomerang - as an add-on armor.

i'm talking about "B6" maybe you confuse with "Br6" which is protection level ?

and no BMD-4, BTR-80 or anything else get any ceramic armour, only serial ceramic armour made in Russia what we have is for army bulletproof vests and Mi28 maybe

• 2 months later...

Performance of several aluminium alloys against .30-06 and .50 projectiles - chart is based on several US standards (MIL-DTLs) and experimental tests made by USARL.

EXHUfulXsAIwRgj?format=png&name=small

* E(V) - TE, E(m) - ME

• 4 months later...

There seems to be a difference between Bustle and Crew Area's Side Armor in Abrams Turret.

• protection difference

c4zSTfs.png

Bustle Side : 90°, CE 380mm

Crew Area Side : 45°, CE 380mm

• Plate thickness difference

fyL5CtR.jpg

Bustle Side : 6.35mm (¼ inch)

Crew Area Side : 19.05mm (¾ inch) 

ZilEvpE.png

"Bustle Side"

enmDJeU.jpg

exposed layout of bustle side armor

X8y35ZT.jpg

crew area side armor layout

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Must Be Spoon Fed
      Hello,

I'm interested in Soviet armor production and deployment. Especially of T-55 tank and its variants. Sadly, most sources touch this subject very generally while I would want to get a more detailed view. How much tanks were produced in which country and at what year. Were Soviets producing armor for themselves or for export. Any source which would go into bit more detail about it is appreciated. I would appreciate if someone could help me find information required about those tanks as so far I can rely only on quite general information. 
    • By SirFlamenco
      I want to calculate the weight required to make an armor that can resist 7.62 RUAG SWISS AP, also known as VPAM level 12. I needed a baseline so I took NIJ Level IV and then tried to find the difference of weight so I could get a percentage. The only plate that's still made for this threat is the TenCate CX-950 IC. This plate is 8.93 lbs for a sapi medium and is alumina in-conjonction with soft armor. I then needed to find a Level IV alumina IC, which I found on UARM's website. It's 7.6 lbs, so if we do 8.93/7.6 we get around 1.175, but I put 1.25 considering UARM's plates are often quite heavy. Now that we have 1.25, we can start applying it to silicon carbide and boron carbide. Denmark's group has a level IV silicon carbide plate at 5.95 lbs, so times 1.25 it gives 7.4375. Hesco's boron carbide IV plate is 5.1 lbs, so times 1.25 we get 6.375.

Now, I wanted to know what was the weight for hardened steel. I took MARS 600, which is one of the best armor steel you can get. Using this page, I can easily calculate that you would need about 19mm to stop it. Using a calculator, we know that a full inch sapi medium plate would weight 33.9 lbs. 19mm/25.4mm = 0.748 inch so if we do 0.748*33.9 we get 25.3572 lbs. 

The problem is obvious : How is boron carbide 4 times as light as steel? Silicon carbide is 3.4 times as light too? It doesn't make any sense, giving that they are both around 2.2 ME and hardened steel is 1.3 ME, so it should be around 1.7 times heavier for steel. What did I get wrong? 
    • By Gripen287
      Do you like pontificating on the infantryman's load? Want to see how different gear choices affect said load?  If so, check out this spreadsheet including an itemized list of "best of breed" (IMHO) gear! Download it and customize to suit your own preferred equipment.  The "Configured Totals" section should auto-calculate weights and ammunition totals for your selected items, and you can copy and paste "Configured Totals" values into the light and heavy load sections for comparison. 

I've tried to provide a fairly comprehensive list of gear for the rifle squad and machine gun teams.  A few items are notional, and those should be noted as such. I've also tried to balance both lightness and capability.  I, however, mostly intend this spreadsheet to serve as an outline and handy way to calculate total values for any items you choose to add or change.

While I'm sure there are a more than a few errors, this spreadsheet is merely intended as a starting point for your own explorations, and I am NOT likely to maintain this particular version. Enjoy!

Infantry Packlist Spreadsheet
    • By Indigo
      Hey y'all, long time no see. I Thought I understood the premise of perforated armor, but earlier today I realized I probably don't. I thought perforated armor was just supposed to damage/decelerate a projectile as it passed through, but then I realized that I thought that's what spaced armor is for, so what's the difference. I also realized I may not really know what perforated armor is at all. I realized that I simultaneously associate two fairly different images with perforated armor.

I imagine this as just breaking small projectiles as they hit it. But then there's this

which appears to have slots all throughout it, which is more of what I think of when I think of something being perforated, but this doesn't look like it really serves the same purpose, nor do I have any idea what purpose this does serve now that I think about it. So what am I missing about perforated armor(and whatever one of these things is if not perforated armor)?