Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Bash the F-35 thred.

Belesarius

I was hoping the absurdity of the situation (the first assumption already requires the existence of competent Syrian air defense soldiers, or the dumbest IAF pilot ever cleared for duty) would give the joke away.

Anyway, Raytheon is waiting on a concrete timetable of integration of the SDB II.

Integrating the StormBreaker — GBU-53/B small diameter bomb II — is still included in the C2D2 integration, but the “dust hasn’t settled yet on exactly” when, Raytheon officials say.

In the queue are several F-35 operators planning to integrate the StormBreaker before clearing the aircraft for operational service. Last year, for example, the State Department approved a potential StormBreaker sale to Australia. Meanwhile, the USN has resequenced the timing of StormBreaker integration, moving the Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet ahead of the F-35C, Raytheon says.

Who at marketing decided to CamelCase that?

1 hour ago, Krieger22 said:

Well, according to Southfront, the F-35I has already tanked an S-200 hit and came out of it looking little worse than if it had flown into a bird. It's plenty armored.

IIRC they just repost what Wael posted on his twitter account. There are no other sources and no other reports that i saw. And Wael is not reliable source of info.

3 hours ago, Jägerlein said:

Depends on the intended role. A jet can be to heavy to be a fighter and yet to flimsy for a ground attack role.

Because an F-35 is going to do ground support from below 1000 feet (not that the A-10 does much of that as well once you hang Hellfires and LGBs from it).

What's next, judging an A-10 by its ability to go supersonic?

54 minutes ago, juretrn said:

Because an F-35 is going to do ground support from below 1000 feet (not that the A-10 does much of that as well once you hang Hellfires and LGBs from it).

What's next, judging an A-10 by its ability to go supersonic?

I only showed that the two statements aren't mutually exclusive. No statement about the A-10 or F-35 included nor intended from my side.
And yes, the ability for supersonic flight might be a plus on the F-35's side -_-.

The A-10 doesn't really have that much armor.  The pilot is indeed sitting in a big box:

Wxxef5y.png

That is an inch to an inch of a half of titanium, which has similar thickness efficiency to RHA.  There might be some armor protection for the engine nacelles too:

8wlr6wP.png

Most of the rest of the vital systems are protected simply by being redundant; e.g. there are multiple hydraulic lines going to the same control, so it's harder to sever the line with a hit.

The A-10 was supposed to have some survivability against other aircraft simply because it operated at low altitude.  For a long time, air-to-air radars had difficulty tracking targets that were below the horizon, and ground-based radars had difficulty tracking targets near the horizon.  Advances in signal processing have greatly reduced these blind spots, however, so the A-10 would have fared poorly against an enemy with actual air defenses and interceptors.

http://aviationweek.com/farnborough-airshow-2018/f-35-engine-upgrade-would-enable-directed-energy-weapons

Pratt & Whitney's new Growth Option 2.0 package for the F135 has interesting potential benefits:

Additional power and thermal management capability will enable the use of directed energy weapons and other advanced offensive and defensive systems and, if approved, would feature in an upgrade package called Growth Option 2.0 (GO2). Pratt & Whitney, which would roll PTMS into a suite of compressor and turbine enhancements originally proposed in the first upgrade package, G01, says the complete upgrade could be available within four years of getting the official go-ahead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't read all of it yet, but I like the part where he claims that the F-4, literally the internet meme plane for "bad dogfighter designed without a gun", was designed with an internal gun.

Also, wasn't Pierre Sprey or one of those other dudes really into wing loading as the end all be all of aircraft performance?

10 hours ago, Krieger22 said:

And now for some content that actually is the title. By which I mean, share my misery.

Hide contents

SN0kgFi.png

uiEBLlB.png

The Reddit post that resulted in this absurdity here.

Whoever Mr. Gibbys is should point out that the F-35 is "fat" due to its internal weapons bays, not because it has a lift fan.

F-35 deniers will continue their shrill shrieking well into the fighter's combat record, which will probably be exceptional.