Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
Life_In_Black

Identify the vehicle thread

Not exactly the same concept as the WoT forums or elsewhere, I figured this would be the place to post something unknown so as to get others' help in identifying it. Could be identifying the tank itself, a particular modification, , where the picture might have been taken, a user or unit, etc. I'll go first:

vIkLLH5.jpg

Obviously this is a Centurion with an 105mm L7, which is what perplexes me. It's not Israeli, as Israel didn't experiment with camouflage on their tanks until sometime in the '80s. And the presence of the 105mm L7 means this isn't during the Suez crisis in 1956 either. So where is it? And is it British, Australian, or some other country using it?

I'm pretty certain it's a Centurion, not a Vickers MBT.

I'm pretty sure it's a Vick. Mantlet's totally wrong for a Cent.

Keep in mind, they re-used a lot of ancillaries from the Cent for the Vickers. The stowage boxes, skirts, etc.

Oh, fuck, it could be a Mark 13, now that I think about it.

I'm pretty sure it's a Vick. Mantlet's totally wrong for a Cent.

Keep in mind, they re-used a lot of ancillaries from the Cent for the Vickers. The stowage boxes, skirts, etc.

Oh, fuck, it could be a Mark 13, now that I think about it.

The turret's too tall to be that of a Vickers MBT, and the roadwheels aren't spaced correctly for the Vickers either. Here's a video of a running Centurion that looks damn enar identical to the one in the photo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3TzZrEKIb0

I'd call it a Cent Mk. 10.  Not seeing any IR equipment or mounting for it to be a Mk. 13.

I did come across another picture, with Centurions bearing similar camo wading ashore from a landing craft, but all the caption said of relevance was that they were performing exercises in the Middle East. 

I suspect it's British and it is probably an exercise in the Emirates or Kuwait. We did hold similar exercise in Libya, but my bet is that it is one of the Trucial states

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Alzoc
      Topic to post photo and video of various AFV seen through a thermal camera.
      I know that we won't be able to make any comparisons on the thermal signature of various tank without knowing which camera took the image and that the same areas (tracks, engine, sometimes exhaust) will always be the ones to show up but anyway:

Just to see them under a different light than usual (pardon the terrible pun^^)

Leclerc during a deployment test of the GALIX smoke dispenser:

The picture on the bottom right was made using the castor sight (AMX 10 RC, AMX 30 B2)

Akatsiya :

T-72:

A T-62 I think between 2 APC:

Stryker:

Jackal:

HMMWV:

Cougar 4x4:

LAV:

• By Mighty_Zuk
      Welcome to Mighty Zuk's place of mental rest and peace of mind. This is my realm. 
      I've decided it would be best to ditch the old Merkava thread for 2 reasons:
      1)It does not feature any bunched up information in its main post, and valuable information is scattered across different posts on different pages. 
      2)Many AFVs that are not related to the Merkava, or related but are not it, appear in that thread with improper representation. There are other AFVs than the Merkava, and it would be better to refer to them in a general way.

As time will go by, I will arrange this thread into a sort of information center. 

I will take up a few first comment spaces to make sure proper amount of information can be stacked up on the front page and for easier access for everyone.

[Reserved for future posts - Merkava]
    • By Sturgeon
      I'll start off with a couple Pathe videos:

• By EnsignExpendable
      Now, we are all in agreement that the best tank the Germans built was the StuG III.

But did you know that the Germans had other vehicles? It's true! You should talk about them here.

Links you should click:
      Our Problem Child: Rossmum on the Panther tank
      Germany's White Elephant, a look at the Tiger tank in theory and practice
      Tiger II: A Royal Pain
      An overview of Germany's armour quality