Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

105mm Howitzer defensive rounds

FaustianQ

Trying to figure out if the 105mm Howitzers had more than the M67 HEAT for defensive purposes in Korea, or if M67 HEAT had been revised by that point at all.

If my books weren't packed away I could give you a quick answer.

Short answer? "For the most part, Yes".

Granted 105mm HE is by itself pretty nasty.  I'm fairly sure that the "Killer Junior" technique and the flechette munitions for the 105 were developed for the 105mm as a result of experience in Korea..

That was the only round that the m2, M3 and M3A1 howitzer had for that purpose. 

M67 is only for hard targets though and it still performs poorly. Not that it'd need to, by Korea I'd think they could have a very good 105mm HEAT defensive round, but the only other HEAT round I've seen is M662 and I have no idea if that's Korean or Vietnam era.

If my books weren't packed away I could give you a quick answer.

Short answer? "For the most part, Yes".

Granted 105mm HE is by itself pretty nasty.  I'm fairly sure that the "Killer Junior" technique and the flechette munitions for the 105 were developed for the 105mm as a result of experience in Korea..

Thanks. Artillery units seemed oddly defenseless for the time when a canister or apers round seemed badly needed. Canister especially would have been okay for unarmored or light armor vehicles, and the 37mm WW2 era canister was well received so ¯\_ :unsure: _/¯. But I can't come across any evidence besides "Use HE and rifles and deal with it"

The earliest TM I can find in my pile of artillery books for maintenance, inventory and special tools lists that mentions the 105H HEAT-T M662 is 1973.  

HE timed super quick is better for direct fire battery defense than flechette rounds unless everyone is running at your gun standing upright.