Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Scale Models Megathread

EnsignExpendable

Yeah, accurate translation when you need it for movie models is very expensive, and then even when you hire a trained translator they can hose you.  If you hire vince to make your model and buy the lowest quality you get google translate.  He only hire professionals for the more expensive models (it is an issue of cost).

Excellent models, shame about the Google Translate quality of the T-34 inscriptions.

Yeah, accurate translation when you need it for movie models is very expensive, and then even when you hire a trained translator they can hose you.  If you hire vince to make your model and buy the lowest quality you get google translate.  He only hire professionals for the more expensive models (it is an issue of cost).

This calls for...

COMRADE ENSIGN's model translation and emporium services!

You can make money doing it - except a lot of people do not care.  I always cringe when I hear some actor butcher Portuguese - or worse simply speak Spanish as a substitute.  

That is why the model builders making Westeros have it easy...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This guy's diorama is simply amazing, it even looks like a painting.

http://imgur.com/a/u33o3

2Cu3WZT.jpg

That's really nice looking work, the figures really stand out, but that Sherman kit is a shity Tamiya kit, even ten year old Dragon Sherman kit would have looked better, and the more recent releases are great. Those fenders have to be there to hide the missing sponson floors. 

It never ceases to amaze me how much of a Sherman nerd you are, Jeeps. ;)

I loves them so muchz! 

To mess with a guy I was training, who was super annoying because he never shut up, like ever, and would ask annoying personal questions, so I decided to mess with him, and talked about the Sherman for the whole 30 minute ride out to the job site with a non stop lecture on the Sherman and how great it was.  It was glorious. 

This same asshole went on to miss 1/3 of his training period with various excuses, and then when we fired him, is now trying put in a fraudulent workman’s comp case against us. Funniest part about that, is he claimed he was injured the day after we fired him, so well after he stopped showing up. I got to talk to a PI for the insurance company for about an hour about it. 

That's really nice looking work, the figures really stand out, but that Sherman kit is a shity Tamiya kit, even ten year old Dragon Sherman kit would have looked better, and the more recent releases are great. Those fenders have to be there to hide the missing sponson floors. 

Missing sponson floors are the worst. Come on, it's two tiny strips of plastic, how much money are you saving here?

Part of scale modelling is hiding or dealing with defects/flaws in the kits.

When you get into building them for others, you can leave a lot of detail off, as long as the customer is happy.

You're creating the artistic impression of the vehicle, rather than a perfect scale model. (I've tried doing that. It's never-ending.1/35 track pins suck.)

Missing sponson floors are the worst. Come on, it's two tiny strips of plastic, how much money are you saving here?

Tamiya has a habit of keeping very old kits in productions, and not fixing them in any way. That's the same basic Sherman kit they have had out since the late 80s early 90s, with maybe an updated turret sprue. 

It's really hard to tell from the pics, but I bet it has recessed weld lines on the hull, the biggest flaw in all the early Sherman kits. It stand out so much cause you just don't see war time pics of Shermans with full fenders, and if they have them at all they are dented all to hell. 

Many of the Tamiya kits have core trees that date from the 70's/ MRC era.

Easy way to tell is if it still has sections or unusual tabs in the hull from where they were intended to be motorized.

Many of the Tamiya kits have core trees that date from the 70's/ MRC era.

Easy way to tell is if it still has sections or unusual tabs in the hull from where they were intended to be motorized.

Yeah, exactly, you can buy the same old motorized panther and tiger kits, the only difference is you can tell the molds for the sprues have aged and nothing is as sharp, and there's lots of flash and hollow spots.

I think its a dirty trick for them to throw together a Sherman kit with a slightly updated turret and a horrible dated 70s hull and call it a new release.  Dragon makes the best Sheman kits on the market for the price, and you end up with all kinds of Sherman spare parts that interchange on all their Sherman kits and you get cool stuff like periscopes that can be shown open or closed and can be rotated as you please. They even have the inside details on the periscopes so you can have the hatches open and not have the open box that looks stupid on all Tamiya kit hatches. I have enough Sherman spare parts I could build just about any kind of Sherman I wanted with just about any Dragon Sherman kit. 

Tasca makes some nice Shermans too, but they are really pricey. 

Tamiya has produced some very nice modern kits, but they still hawk their old shit, and don't make it super clear what you’re getting unless you know their history. Though you should know your getting a shitty kit when its only 20 bucks heh. 

Eh, when I was starting out, those cheapo kits were great. $20 for a PzII and four guys? Sign me up! 

I don't remember what the cost when I started out as a kid, but I bet it was around the same price, I remember having to save up to get Tamiya stuff, Testers, Monogram and Revel were all super cheap, but only their airplane kits were decent.  I was a picky kid.  Capitalists... 

When Tamiya first came out they were novel, because they were "to scale". You had a reasonable chance of having two different vehicles be within close proximity to eachother, scalewise.

A lot of what kept their price up there though was the MPC partnership. Other than the very very infrequent greymarket kits direct from Japan, you were buying MPC distro'd kits with translated instructions, etc..People were willing to pay it though, because you got a kit that took less work to "get right" than the others.

A lot of U.S.makers in comparison were still offering box scale or odd scale kits. 

Monogram for example had a whole slew of nominal 1/30~1/35 scale stuff in the 70's, and many of the Testor's offerings in the 80's were minor reworks of old Renwal, Aurora or Hawk kits.

If I come across them once I'm moved to the new place, I'll try and take pics of two comparable kits. One a Tamiya 1/48'th A6M, the other a Monogram 1/48 P-40. The P-40 is (was) requiring major work to detail, where the A6M only needed minor detailing to the engine to get it right.

Oh yeah, the old Sschool Monogram 1/48s were almost built yourself a toy, more than a "scale" model heh. 

Do you remember the Monogram reissues of (IIRC) a Renwal kit in nominal 1/48~1/50, that had solid track/suspension parts?

They were later issued in the 80's as a snap kit.

Those were odd. I remember there being a Tiger 1 in grey, a M48 and Sherman in OD green, and a IS in some kind of grass green.

The best part was they were all about the same size once built.

Real tanks are prohibitively expensive, and pixel tanks can be ruined by idiotic pubbies and bad ping. Plastic tanks, on the other hand, are much more difficult to ruin.

y9yUDkpl.jpg

A Revell Pz 38(t) with its part gremlin commander.

Tanks for the tank god, TDs for the TD throne

EjrCHDEl.jpg

s1Sayhjl.jpg

NmbkTdLl.jpg

OXKqpIEl.jpg

JCcS3Wil.jpg

Im so disappointed in you

not showing the one Czech tank that actually matters

1356338475_t-72-moderna-3.jpg

1356338476_t-72-moderna-2.jpg

1356338456_t-72-moderna.jpg

T-72 STRONK

REMOVE LEOPARD 2 AMMORACK ON TRACKS FROM PREMISIES

CZECHOLOGY ADVANTAGE IS REAL

Do you remember the Monogram reissues of (IIRC) a Renwal kit in nominal 1/48~1/50, that had solid track/suspension parts?

They were later issued in the 80's as a snap kit.

Those were odd. I remember there being a Tiger 1 in grey, a M48 and Sherman in OD green, and a IS in some kind of grass green.

The best part was they were all about the same size once built.

Nah, by that time I was a 12 or 13 year old Tamiya snob. Though I did build some Hasagawa planes, and a few ventures into the 1/24 scale airfix kits.    I didn't get into tanks until a bit later but really only built Tamiya Armor. 

When I started back up in the like in 05, I built a pait of Tamiya kits, an M4 Ic firefly in 1/48 and an M26 Pershing in 1/35. Both very nice kits, though the Sherman kit lacks sponson bottoms. The M26 had spring loaded suspension and was a very nice kit, but still had molded closed periscopes. 

What got me back into the whole thing was going a little nuts and dropping like 800 bucks to build this.

http://vid44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/gtora2/100_2218.mp4

A Tamiya full option 1/16 scale M26 Pershing and all the crap to build it. I hadn’t built a model since I was 14 or so when I bought this back in 05.  After building this, I had dug out all my old model building stuff, and much of it was in good shape so I picked up the new plastic kits.

This was the finished 1/35 M26

m26front_resize.jpg

This is the Firefly.

Firefly_resize.jpg

Both went together flawlessly and were easy fun builds. I moved onto Dragon Shermans, and they are harder to build, but look better when done than Tamiya Shermans.