Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Scale Models Megathread

EnsignExpendable

That's sad, but resin is probably going to die off as 3d printers improve and get cheaper, if it doesn't kill off the traditional plastic model altogether. 

Resin is so cheap tho.  Small scale casting of resin is really easy. Where I think 3D printing really shines is getting the master model right.

I don't disagree with you in the long run though.

"3D printing will kill models" has been a meme for ages, especially in the Warhammer circles. It's still not good enough, and it won't be for a very long time. Even now scratchbuilders prefer subtractive manufacturing methods. Eventually? Probably, but not any time soon.

It's interesting that for OOP games, and really expensive stuff, like WH4K stuff 3D printing is taking off pretty well. Shapeways has a ton of stuff for BFG that is as good or better than the original models.  The real niche for them is replacement parts and small stuff.   It's pretty fascinating to watch. But most of the aftermarket retailers are using high res 3d printing for rapid prototyping then casting in resin.

"3D printing will kill models" has been a meme for ages, especially in the Warhammer circles. It's still not good enough, and it won't be for a very long time. Even now scratchbuilders prefer subtractive manufacturing methods. Eventually? Probably, but not any time soon.

Yeah, I'm thinking 20 years from now, maybe 10 if the printer tech takes off and prices come down. 

Yeah, I'm thinking 20 years from now, maybe 10 if the printer tech takes of and prices come down. 

I don't even think it's that far away. If you look at the resolutions that Shapeways is getting, you can 3d print some pretty accurate and small resolution stuff at this point. It is still a bit cost prohibitive to print something the size and complexity of a 1/35 kit though.  Small replacement parts and BFG/40K sized parts such as weapons etc. are doing ok because they are so badly supported by GW and the costs of 40k stuff are ridiculous.

All "new" innovations will kill models.  heard this for decades.

The biggest threat is the sheer lack of fucking interest by people who have no patience for building a 1/48 scale B-25, down to wiring.

And yes, I've done it. I have cases of vintage model kits, including some I bought in Japan. Nobody gives a fuck, because kiddos can just roll mommys paypal into wart-chunder and get what they want NOW.

I have an unfinished 1/48 P40, that incorporates a few thousand hours of millwork to reproduce the flaps, ailerons, etc.  It has LG made of titanium tube and scissiors of similar 4AL16 sheet. Because it was to scale and durable.  The engine was a scale lost wax casting of a V1710..

it will likely never be finished.  Even if I did, and showed it, there is no market, no appreciation.

I am making buggy-whips, in an automotive age, basically.

You know, there was a guy building like 1/8 or so, I think or maybe smaller, scale replicas of Airplanes and cars that were almost exact minature duplicates of the real thing. 

They went for 15 grand or so. I would drop the cash on one of them in a second if I had it to spend hehe. 

I'll see if I can find the webpage

Found it. This guy is fucking amazing. 

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Bazan.htm

BazanF4U_06.jpg

You know, there was a guy building like 1/8 or so, I think or maybe smaller, scale replicas of Airplanes and cars that were almost exact minature duplicates of the real thing. 

They went for 15 grand or so. I would drop the cash on one of them in a second if I had it to spend hehe. 

I'll see if I can find the webpage

Found it. This guy is fucking amazing. 

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Bazan.htm

BazanF4U_06.jpg

*golf clap* again, seen the same thing in scales as tiny as 1/72. I should dig out some of the 1/48 engines I did  before PE parts were common.

Yes it's beautiful, but so few people now appreciate the work that such detail demands, that it's basically wasted. 

I won't even go into the whole "Toy" aspect many apply to model building.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...