Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Scale Models Megathread

EnsignExpendable

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, EnsignExpendable said:

The  new Amusing Hobby E-100 was completely stolen from WoT down to the muzzle brake (the WoT muzzle brake was taken from a completely unrelated gun, shown below). 

4423880_original.jpg

Pasholok writes: "If we put a pink dildo instead of a barrel, are you going to copy that too?"

So, does it come with a brace of 1000 pound bombs and lengths of clear sprue, molded as to indicate their being on a trajectory to blow that contrivance to scrap, as would have actually happened?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven't posted a tank in a little while, so have an Italeri Crusader Mk.III

sgEGjHI.jpg

b4HI4sh.jpg

KHfqgiQ.jpg

1Fwpovm.jpg

ih7lb08.jpg

Rest of album

I figured that since the new Tamiya kit is just the old one with extras, I might as well grab the old mold, especially since I finally found a seller that was willing to part with it for less than the ridiculous $50 it went for in my local model shop. Picked up a nice RB barrel to go with it, too.

The kit definitely hasn't aged well. The turret deformed in storage, and getting the pieces to match involved a lot of filling and sanding, as a result of which I lost half of the rivets on the turret. My attempts at re-riveting have been only partially successful, so I draped a flag to hide the more terrible looking ones. I also draped a rag over the projector to hide how awful it looked (no transparent pieces in this kit), but doing the same thing with the headlights proved impossible, so there they are. I replaced the antennas and handles with wire as well. The vinyl tracks behaved as well as could be expected, but the decals are very thick and  have noticeable edges. The edges faded after a few layers of varnish, but not on all of them. The kit came with three figures, but they are so terrible by modern standards that I didn't bother. The tow cables are also unacceptable, so I left them out.

Overall, it's definitely a product of its time, but not a terrible build.

On 8/5/2017 at 7:09 PM, EnsignExpendable said:

Haven't posted a tank in a little while, so have an Italeri Crusader Mk.III

sgEGjHI.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

b4HI4sh.jpg

KHfqgiQ.jpg

1Fwpovm.jpg

ih7lb08.jpg

Rest of album

I figured that since the new Tamiya kit is just the old one with extras, I might as well grab the old mold, especially since I finally found a seller that was willing to part with it for less than the ridiculous $50 it went for in my local model shop. Picked up a nice RB barrel to go with it, too.

The kit definitely hasn't aged well. The turret deformed in storage, and getting the pieces to match involved a lot of filling and sanding, as a result of which I lost half of the rivets on the turret. My attempts at re-riveting have been only partially successful, so I draped a flag to hide the more terrible looking ones. I also draped a rag over the projector to hide how awful it looked (no transparent pieces in this kit), but doing the same thing with the headlights proved impossible, so there they are. I replaced the antennas and handles with wire as well. The vinyl tracks behaved as well as could be expected, but the decals are very thick and  have noticeable edges. The edges faded after a few layers of varnish, but not on all of them. The kit came with three figures, but they are so terrible by modern standards that I didn't bother. The tow cables are also unacceptable, so I left them out.

Overall, it's definitely a product of its time, but not a terrible build.

THAT is looking really really nice.

Sweet job!

Oh for transparencies, I use (used) white glue.  paint the edges of the opening with a metallizing paint, polish a bit then use a toothpick to fill the opening. 

For headlamps/tail-lamps you can use a twist of paper towel or a really fine brush, and once it's gelled a bit, poke it with a hypo and blow a wee bubble to make it look like a bulb in there. Otherwise just leave it be and hit it with flat once dry, cause I've NEVER seen shiny lights on any MV that ran.

Again, for what you had to work with, that looks damn good. 

Finally found something that Photobucket didn't take a wrecking-ball to, courtesy of good old (but small) Picturetrail:

408356311.jpg408356309.jpg

M4A2 Sherman 'Cecilia', 1st Platoon, C Company, 1st Marine Tank Battalion. Tarawa, November 1943 (Airfix 1/76 with a lot of scratchwork & aftermarket extras)

407145745.jpg407145742.jpg

Captured T-26 in Nationalist service (1/72 Kit-Bash UM/SKIF/Mirage Hobby), other details long since forgotten.....Apologies for the yellowness of these two, they were taken a long time ago, before I had a booth (hence the tissue-paper backdrop).....I really should have drilled out that horn too! 

On 8/15/2017 at 1:58 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Finally found something that Photobucket didn't take a wrecking-ball to, courtesy of good old (but small) Picturetrail:

408356311.jpg408356309.jpg

M4A2 Sherman 'Cecilia', 1st Platoon, C Company, 1st Marine Tank Battalion. Tarawa, November 1943 (Airfix 1/76 with a lot of scratchwork & aftermarket extras)

407145745.jpg407145742.jpg

Captured T-26 in Nationalist service (1/72 Kit-Bash UM/SKIF/Mirage Hobby), other details long since forgotten.....Apologies for the yellowness of these two, they were taken a long time ago, before I had a booth (hence the tissue-paper backdrop).....I really should have drilled out that horn too! 

When I say how good flat finishes can make models look, refer to these images.  A coat of clear flat and careful weathering makes all the difference.

Too much gloss makes it look like a toy, and because of the scales,you have to go a bit further.

I used to use talcum powder and/or or cheap cosmetics to dull finishes.  Now you have all kinds of superb paints and finishes.

Cheers, my newer stuff is a bit sharper and the photography is/was better.....Will get the booth out eventually but it's enormous so I need the spare room to be free.  I used to be a Sci-Fi kit reviewer on Britmodeller so I had to buy a stupidly big booth just to fit the ludicrous boxes in (As you may be able to tell, I'm not a huge fan of commercial Sci-Fi, so I wasn't really a natural fit for the reviewer post).

If you are into modelling I can't recommend Britmodeller highly enough, despite the name it's a massively cosmopolitan forum and the modellers are really pretty good, check this out:

31701974832_bb9ab9f524_b.jpg

31008616464_cca9b8c42c_b.jpg

31702091852_eb74aa6453_b.jpg

Models built painted & photographed by Andy Moore.

Now that I have the bench space and a mini lathe, really tempted to get back into hard kitmashing.

Have to be careful on what I build from stock though, I'm sure much of what I have on the shelves is worth more as a kit than built. 

If the funky old "Williams Brothers" kits are still around, those were a favorite, since they took real work., and were of unusual subjects.

Like a 1/6 scale Lewis gun..

Lucky fella.....Don't suppose you fancy turning some 1/72 77mm gun barrels for my platoon of A34 Comets?

Have a poke around on BM, you'll find a bunch of guys working from scratch (Including a totally scratchbuilt 1/16 Spitfire!).

PS - The Williams Brothers 1/72 aircraft kits (cool subjects, bastards to build) were re-popped a couple of years back, but I've never heard of a Lewis Gun, would love to see the sprues/instructions.

28 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Lucky fella.....Don't suppose you fancy turning some 1/72 77mm gun barrels for my platoon of A34 Comets?

Have a poke around on BM, you'll find a bunch of guys working from scratch (Including a totally scratchbuilt 1/16 Spitfire!).

PS - The Williams Brothers 1/72 aircraft kits (cool subjects, bastards to build) were re-popped a couple of years back, but I've never heard of a Lewis Gun, would love to see the sprues/instructions.

They're deceptively simple.

The trick is using tube,etc to make it as real as possible. 

http://i.imgur.com/RAiDDOu.jpg

It's the muzzle-brakes that have me stumped, they need to be turned and drilled on a couple of axes IIRC (& I don't have a lathe).

The models are all resin and unique, the Cromwell Models kit is currently the only 1/72 Comet out there, so naturally aftermarket's a bit scarce and the '77mm' gun is only found on the Comet.....Resin is just a lousy materiel for gun barrels, it's way too fragile and will bend under its own weight if it gets warm.

PS - I keep going to post my pictures.....But Photobucket.  :mellow:

PPS - Cheers for the Lewis Gun pics, that's a new one on me and I've been doing this over forty years!