Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

5 hours ago, Beer said:

In my opinion (just a opinion) the main benefit of fiberglass is that it consumes a lot of energy for the delamination of it's layers while it is cheap to produce. 

Yeah I was kindof thinking that it's just something to fill gaps with that provides more resistance than air while still letting the steel layers essentially act liked spaced armor but I'm wondering if it has any particular mechanism for wearing down penetrators.

1 hour ago, Jackvony said:

Does anyone here have good information on the T-72B2?

What you consider as "good" information? It is T-72B with few new electronic toys (like Sosna gunner sight), a bit more powerful engine+APU and Relikt ERA.

1 minute ago, LoooSeR said:

What you consider as "good" information? It is T-72B with few new electronic toys (like Sosna gunner sight), a bit more powerful engine+APU and Relikt ERA.

Just a more official source stating this than wiki, trying to put together a suggestion for War Thunder.

z_yuml7Wz9s.jpg

and real L7 for T-54/55, Egypt, unfortunately no photos of it inside tank, or just with cradle fully assembled 

PjfdOxludi4.jpg

The original complicated method for manufac-turing the T-62 (115 mm) barrel by a skrink fit sleeve liner has been replaced by the the swag autofrettage. this is a simpler, more effective and advantageous method that gives improved fatigue life of barrel

Bovington Museum never ceases to amaze me. (Taken from a video)

uzO8901.png

"If the system got misaligned the case could be ejected at speed into the turret with fatal results" 

"The Soviets liked to ensure that the crews were made up of strangers. This meant the KGB spies could infiltrate crews and report anyone who was disloyal to the Kremlin" 

"Like other soviet tanks, the inside of T-62 is very cramped"

Quite pathetic from a serious museum... Yes, the T-34 was miserable inside... But that doesnt mean that other soviet tanks were also that horrible. Stupid generalization. I actually felt the T-55 driver's place quite comfortable. Including driving the thing (ok, except the overly heavy clutch). Nicholas Moran also found the gunner's place quite good. And while I didnt drive a T-72, I tried all crew places in an exhibited tank, and it also wasnt bad at all. 

Anyway... Yes I know that this myth about the case ejection system a complete BS. But what is the reason of the system is usually disabled by the crews? At least this is what I saw in videos from Syria. Do they want to use the casings later?

1 hour ago, heretic88 said:

Yes, the T-34 was miserable inside..

try to fit in fully stowed(ammo, spare parts etc) Panzer IV(where gunner have 4 round on his legs etc) or III lol

0_abc46_77eea1bb_XL.jpg

driver live inside powder cellar

Hc-JJz7ogbQ.jpg

commander behind gun etc

or Tiger with his cramped gunner site, or any other tank, bigger tank doesn't mean that it's 100% super comfortable 

iSzEQDV65EM.jpg

^^ strange T-34-76(maybe stamped turret with additional racks)

SU-85-100-122 was really very cramped 

Anyway... Yes I know that this myth about the case ejection system a complete BS. But what is the reason of the system is usually disabled by the crews? At least this is what I saw in videos from Syria. Do they want to use the casings later?

in soviet russian you obliged to return all shell cases after firing to commander, and it's better to be undamaged... during combat use haven't heard anything about disabled by crew, there was was T-72 failure, when crew stowed felt boots outside near ejection hatch, and during ejection it jammed in to it or something like that which cause a case fall in tank, but no any damage to anyone lol

Syria... i doubt that they can use something more sophisticated than spoon(or just keep up in working order)... 

Nicholas Moran also found the gunner's place quite good

he often make strange conclusions out of nowhere, or just get in empty tank (no ammo, no radio, nothing) and says "oh look how comfy it is!"

I think that the problem with military museums in general (and tank museum in particular) is that they are often managed by military personnel and not by actual historians.

I mean if I look at the Saumur museum they are exposing an early Leopard 2 prototype IIRC and the sign just say "Leopard 2" as if it was a normal production vehicle

Spoiler

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f2/Leopard_2_Saumur.jpg/1024px-Leopard_2_Saumur.jpg