Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

On 8/23/2018 at 6:34 PM, eggs benedict said:

Is that a fire control radar on the rop of ohitnik's ammo box?

/.../

Okhotnik turret from different angle, part of placard is visible where it says that this RCWS have a radar, but range of it is hard to see.

IVP7Y.jpg

UPD - more, bigger photos. 600 meters max range claimed for radar. Although it have thermal imager, so i see no point in radar.

Spoiler

UwfaSJR.jpg

tCsNGEt.jpg

xJR7BX8.jpg

Single-pin tracks are much harder to break by torsional forces on the track, thanks to the large number and size of points where the pin is subjected to shear forces under such a loading.

55d7d68427d4a.jpg

Double-pin tracks are easier to break by loading like this as they only have the center guide connector and end connectors.

m4sample_03.jpg

That in my opinion is the case. I Don't have any hard evidence to back it up right now.

This is also in my opinion why single-pin tracks are preferred for hard, broken ground where the track is liable to ride on large rocks unevenly, applying torsion to the track.

The 64 has narrower knife wheels, which remained intact and effectively 'cut' the track. The 219 has wider wheels, the outer one of which got wrecked. The wider wheels support the track more against uneven loading, and the energy spent on breaking the wheel prevented it from breaking the track.

Again, this is just informed conjecture.

27 minutes ago, N-L-M said:

The 64 has narrower knife wheels, which remained intact and effectively 'cut' the track. The 219 has wider wheels, the outer one of which got wrecked. The wider wheels support the track more against uneven loading, and the energy spent on breaking the wheel prevented it from breaking the track.

Again, this is just informed conjecture.

Thank you, it seems to be true. Before any other information, i think we can stick to this version

4 hours ago, Lord_James said:

To be clear, was the damage done from mines/grenades or just driving around on rough terrain? I cant read the caption, but the hole beneath each tank would suggest explosives were involved. 

written there "Result of tank's tracks explosions on the T-72, Obj.219 and T-64A in equal conditions". 

psb4wTlWlHZkBMGLzRSxWE7nTvYuhexmvvR2KMhv

3 hours ago, AssaultPlazma said:

What are " Kharkovite's"? 

Soviet tank development in the second half of the Cold War was... interesting.  NATO intelligence assumed that the T-64->T-72->T-80 represented a continuous development of better and better tanks.  In reality, they were three parallel developments.  This obviously didn't make any sense from a logistical standpoint.  It was driven by political considerations and different factions of engineers trying to grab as much glory as possible for their design bureau.  The article "Why Three Tanks" by Stephen "Cookie" Sewell in this edition of Armor magazine explains it in more detail.

The "Kharkovites" were the faction out of Kharkov, Ukraine, responsible for the T-64 tank.  This amazing thread by LoooSeR helps explain the differences between the three tanks.

Funny, but eventually the glorious T-72s also dropped the single pin tracks, and started using the "inferior" double pin :)

BTW, in my opinion, the 219 wasnt any better than the T-64 in that test, because even if the track didnt separate immediately in the explosion, it would surely do after traveling a few meters further.

Then, without track the T-64 is almost impossible to tow thanks to its narrow wheels. On the other hand, the wheel is not damaged significantly, so with spare links, the track can be repaired and the tank will be operational again. On the 219, the wheel is destroyed, and such repairs arent possible, but the tank can be towed away.