Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

1.2. Работы по договору выполняются в обеспечение исполнения государственного оборонного заказа – государственный контракт № 1719187317821452241002092 от 27.12.2017 по ОКР «Совершенствование-А»
-
2.1 Исполнитель согласно оформленным Спецификациям обеспечивает Заказчика:
2.1.2 Оригинальными заготовками, необходимыми для модернизации танка Т-72Б3 установкой КАЗ типа Т09-А6.

Russian MoD is buying T-72B3 with some sort of un-named APS.

Since I don't see any room left for an Afganit-type setup, I believe it will be Arena.

48 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

1.2. Работы по договору выполняются в обеспечение исполнения государственного оборонного заказа – государственный контракт № 1719187317821452241002092 от 27.12.2017 по ОКР «Совершенствование-А»
-
2.1.2 Оригинальными заготовками, необходимыми для модернизации танка Т-72Б3 установкой КАЗ типа Т09-А6.

Since I don't see any room left for an Afganit-type setup, I believe it will be Arena.

Which would be kind of bad, as it is outdated. Although better than nothing, i guess.

1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

Which would be kind of bad, as it is outdated. Although better than nothing, i guess.

Grab the Afganit's CPU and radars and put them in the Arena within Arena's architecture and you solved the aging problem.

The issue is that they're basically turning a niche vehicle (niche: being relatively very cheap and worthy of investment as backup reserve vehicle) into something that kind of defeats that niche, which in turn delegitimizes the entire concept of upgrading thousands of Soviet-era MBTs instead of buying hundreds of "Russia-era" MBTs.

1 hour ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Grab the Afganit's CPU and radars and put them in the Arena within Arena's architecture and you solved the aging problem.

The issue is that they're basically turning a niche vehicle (niche: being relatively very cheap and worthy of investment as backup reserve vehicle) into something that kind of defeats that niche, which in turn delegitimizes the entire concept of upgrading thousands of Soviet-era MBTs instead of buying hundreds of "Russia-era" MBTs.

Same could be said for equipping T-55 with Drozd's instead yet another try to replace T-64,T-72,T-80 with next gen kewl unified tank .I mean design work on T-64 replacement begun immidiately after T-64 adobtion

26 minutes ago, heretic88 said:

In my opinion, any "update" on T-72s is just a big waste of money. T-72 is hopelessly obsolete now. Instead, that money should be spent on T-90M, which is quite a nice tank.

Partially agree. T-90M should have received more attention, but big fleet of already made tanks from USSR times should be used. T-72 could have receive new turret and crew compartment (something like Burlak or Proriv) with new gun, armor and engine upgrades. All upgrades could be done during or as a part of overhaul (at least engine and armor).  

On 9/21/2018 at 12:19 PM, Mighty_Zuk said:

-

http://gurkhan.blogspot.com/2018/09/184-5-09-6.html

"T09-A6 is index of the Arena-M"

DSC00699.JPG

Spoiler

DSC00693.JPG

DSC00687.JPG

DSC02560.JPG

DSC04739.JPG

DSC00726.JPG

DSC00788.JPG

DSC00870.JPG

DSC00906.JPG

Photos from 2015, probably similar system is in the question.

5 hours ago, Konev said:

And nothing to do with top-attack.

9 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

So no direct frontal protection? Nice.

May be this will be the first serial ADS on Russian MBT's. It will be reraly joy for all russian community of tank fans. Open champagne! Take out silverware! ^_^

21 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

. T-72 could have receive new turret and crew compartment (something like Burlak or Proriv) with new gun, armor and engine upgrades.

Yes, a more complex upgrade like that would make sense. Its a shame that Burlak was abandoned, it was a very interesting project. Sure, it was more expensive than T-72B3, but it offered serious improvements. T-72B3 is like an agony. The tank is practically on late 80s level.

From news report about uninteresting stuff related to UVZ they showed assembly shop with something interesting - T-90S for Vietnam, for Iraq and what rumored to be T-90Ms for Russian army. Note that Vietnam tanks have Shtora IR dazzlers.

5953487_original.jpg

Spoiler

5954566_original.jpg

V letter probably means Vietnam.

5953801_original.jpg

5954181_original.jpg

5954517_original.jpg

5953709_original.jpg

5955229_original.jpg

I, maybe means Iraqi vehicle

5953095_original.jpg

R (Russia?). Not sure if those a really T-90Ms, as frontal mudguards looks different from T-90M prototype showed to public.

5955411_original.jpg