Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

1 minute ago, Cheburashka said:

Does somebody know how the autoloader ammunition indicator on the T-64/80 works?

I have no idea, and can only tell you it is likely a Kharkovite plot to confuse tankists of the motherland, and thus undermine defense while stuffing their pockets with profits from overly complicated instrument readout.

3 hours ago, AssaultPlazma said:

Why is each iteration of the JS tank such a major departure from the last in terms of hull/turret design? 

They weren't all designed by the same bureaus.  IS-3 and IS-4 in particular were parallel designs that were designed by two different bureaus at around the same time, the 4 wasn't a successor to the 3.

22 hours ago, AssaultPlazma said:

Why is each iteration of the JS tank such a major departure from the last in terms of hull/turret design? 

18 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

They weren't all designed by the same bureaus.  IS-3 and IS-4 in particular were parallel designs that were designed by two different bureaus at around the same time, the 4 wasn't a successor to the 3.

Since @T___A is too lazy, I'll point out that I was wrong here.  IS-3 and IS-4 were parallel projects, but they were actually from the same factory (Chelyabinsk).

1 hour ago, SH_MM said:

So Vietnam's T-90S won't feature the upgraded side skirt armor of the Iraqi model or what is up with the green tank that still has the original skirts?

Da2TZfpWsAAQNFv.jpg

not yet accurate information. But the sides of the tanks are new. Can withstand extra protection. Vietnam is not so rich. I think he will order the minimum configuration.

21 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

Question: how did the original T-64 (Ob’yekt 432 and 432R) reload? If the 115mm ammo is not separated, can the autoloader do its job? Or is the 115mm ammo short enough that it wasn’t needed? 

It worked like any other T-64 pattern autoloader in operation, the 2A21 variant of the 115mm on T-64 had split ammo. As far as I am aware, you cannot manually load 115mm fixed-case ammo in case (pun intended) of emergency. Which is nice, because the 115mm cartridges are gigantic, and in the incredibly compact T-64 that'd be hilariously sad to try to manipulate.