Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Which things, the chains on the back of the turret?

That's to act as spaced armor so RPGs have a harder time penetrating the underside of the bustle.  Because they are chains, they are flexible and the turret can still turn.

No, i speak about those "ears" on top of the turret. I know about chains, i had interesting conversation with IDF soldier about those tanks (Merkava 4 and 3 Baz dor Dalet) several years ago. Those ears are new things, i didn't had a chance to ask him about those devices.

Aren't those part of the Trophy APS?

Nope. Thats why they are interesting for me - they don't look like any part of Meil Ruakh active protection system. And note another thing - on top of the turret those jews mounted a some kind of mast with 4 arrays of laser detectors.

Look at that picture, and you will see Merkava 4 with Meil Ruakh and 2 other tanks with something similar to my previous picture.

MyWi6IO.jpg

Trophy/Meil Ruakh

Flickr_-_Israel_Defense_Forces_-_Stormin

And those "ears". Optics for commander? For Driver? Maybe for whole crew?

nDlCwPG.jpg

Look at that picture, and you will see Merkava 4 with Meil Ruakh and 2 other tanks with something similar to my previous picture.

MyWi6IO.jpg

You can also see very different turrets, and it looks like extra armour over the drivers position. Googling a bit I believe those are Merk 2D's, so whatever that thing is it's getting put on early marks first

I like ERA against cats and couch-to-Internet missiles.

You can also see very different turrets, and it looks like extra armour over the drivers position. Googling a bit I believe those are Merk 2D's, so whatever that thing is it's getting put on early marks first

Yeah, i noticed that too. This system is too big for simple TV cameras for driver to orientate, and little bit too unusual for commander - he could have easier-to-make single panormaic sight, as you see on Merk 4s on my pics ("CAPS" - Commander Advanced Panoramic SIght). Missile/RPG launch detection system? Thermals of some sort? IDK, but that thing is used only by Israelis, at least i didn't saw anybody else with something comparable. It may be some sort of first steps in see-through-armor systems. Anyway, Merkavas are one of not many tanks that have plenty of interesting and useful add-on non-standart equipment.

Some interesting talk about the composition of the T-80U turret here.

If I had to guess, the boron carbide is not in the form of armor plates, but rather as an additive to the resin material in order to provide protection against enhanced radiation tactical nukes.  The isotope boron-10 has an extremely high neutron absorption cross section, especially of thermal neutrons, and the resin would most likely be some sort of organic compound that would be an excellent neutron moderator.

Jewish armor is best looking armor.

HirDOIN.jpgAgain, same ears.

ReXWQJ0.jpg

Merkava 2 with interesting UFO device. 

tauO3ey.jpgFor some reason i like Merkava 3 Baz dor Dalet turret.

K1fp7Ek.jpg

Merk 3, i like it more than Merk 4. 

lCfEHer.jpg

Merkava 4 with Meil Ruakh APS. One and only active protection system in serial production.

a4xA6hs.jpgI hate those watermarks.

ckUvI2d.jpgMerkava 3, with those mysterious ears. Second Merk 3 looks excellent. Oh god, that turret...  :rolleyes:

According to the tanknet hivemind that's just the new turret being tested on a T-90 hull, so no look at T-14 yet

Yeah, it is not a "true" "Coalition", it have 6 T-72/90-like rollers. AFAIK T-14 hull should have 7 T-80-like rollers. Although hull looks little bit higher than standart T-72/80/90 hull, so i think this is T-90-T-14 hull hybrids, made for SPGs. Turret itself already was known to public.

Compare to Msta-S.

Oboronexpo2014part1-27-M.jpg

Some photos related to Koalitsiya.

First version for parade, AFAIK:

SzkilLy.jpg

As you see it have 6 T-90-like rollers.

XCkKrH7FJ6w.jpg

9BA9M2Zof6M.jpg

Possibly Koalitsiya SPGs for parade. Note rollers, and muzzle brake - that is not s Msta-S.

Photo of turret, 2 years ago.

fMrl2FW.jpg

How Koalitsiya should look on Armata chassis:

1392788852_01.jpg

Only differene with real one is that no ERA should be mounted on UFP, according to photo of real hull frontal area. 7 rollers per side.

Turret inside of factory:

82f91462ea40.png

mmwx.jpg

atuoWwbKLhs.jpg

And that SPG looks similar to vehicle on Priory of Sion's photos.

Other version:

f0278443_5401dcf7df138.jpg

3D Render of new SPG.

otvaga2004_sau_fp00.jpg

otvaga2004_sau_fp12.jpg

otvaga2004_sau_fp01.jpg

Koalitsiya-SV SPGs in Alabino prooving grounds, Moscow.

QIKM--shV4I.jpg

Pay attention to visible crew members. They are located in hull, so it is might be Armata hull, after all. Those sponsons are big, bigger than any T-90 had. Also note spacing between first rollers, this is unusual for T-90.

-IXnBG6h-lQ.jpg

Frontal part of hull have number of features, that suggest that this is not just T-90 hull with increased height.