Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

What is this, early 1941 MG ball on a T-34-85? No tank rider rails? External fuel tanks mounted in combat? Burn this heresy and make it again!

This is how Wehrabooism started.  Due to the dispersed, batch nature of German tank production, and the frequent interruptions of supplies caused by Allied strategic bombing, basically almost any combination of parts was *possible*.

"Hey, check out my new model!"

"Dude, your panther Ausf. G clearly has an Ausf. A rounded shot-trap mantlet."

"That's totally intentional!  The early batches of Ausf. G's still had the old mantlets because they had a ton of them lying around."

"And it has an Ausf. D cupola and machine gun mount."

"The early Ausf. A's had Ausf D face-hardened glacis plates.  It's clearly still possible."

"And the roadwheels appear to be made of Ritz crackers."

"Expedient production substitution to deal with petroleum shortages."

W9cXv.jpg

ERA explosive elements. Left to right: 4S20 from "Kontakt"; 4S22 from "Kontakt-5" and 4S24 from "Relikt".

Sizes of each are 252x130x13 mm, except 2S24, which is 252x130x10 mm. 4S24 have lowest explosive power in TNT equivalent - 0,14 kg.

So the Object 279 transmission was an automatic and not manual, I wonder why they decided to go that route.

Most tanks designed since the mid Cold War have automatic transmissions.

Tanks aren't long-haul big rig trucks; their ability to start and stop and accelerate well on uneven surfaces and dash from location to location is important, possibly moreso than their cruise efficiency.

With an automatic gearbox, you give up some cruise efficiency, but power is always going to the sprockets during gear changes.

Object 279 autoloader and testbed. So it seems to me all the loader would have to do was press the button and the autoloader would load the shell into the breech and then put the propellent case in the breech himself.

You can see that there's a chain-driven rammer.  I think the projectile gets rammed home, and then the loader plops the propellant charge onto the tray and the rammer puts that in next.

Note also that it's a late model of the M-65 gun with the combustible stub case.

Think of it like the 152 SPH's, they put the shell on the tray and its loaded