Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

On 7/24/2019 at 2:34 PM, skylancer-3441 said:

Article from International Defense Review 1981-12 "T-34 to T-80 "The Evolution of Soviet Battle Tanks PLUS the IDR's T-62 test report"

EAPUTT1WkAI-IKY?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Reveal hidden contents

EAPUYfDWkAI_t4l?format=jpg&name=4096x409 EAPUgu5XUAE3nh2?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EAPUjDeWkAIvHZb?format=jpg&name=4096x409 EAPawPdXoAA2V-d?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EAPayV2XoAERqk1?format=jpg&name=4096x409

OCR text w/ larger pics (and same pics of better quality from other sources) moved next to their captions:

Thank you for posting this article. I remember reading it when it first came out. At the time, for those of us in the West without access to classified information, it was a seminal article. Looking at the date of publication, it is also a reminder that I am now an old git! 

7 hours ago, Karamazov said:

For more accurate aiming. It is load with tracer bullets.

M50 Ontos have rifles for same purposes. And AKSU probably because the ballistics is the same:wacko: 

That was half a century a go and I can't imagine that a 5,45 bullet fired at 735 m/s could have similar trajectory as RPG round at 130 m/s. 

3 hours ago, Beer said:

That was half a century a go and I can't imagine that a 5,45 bullet fired at 735 m/s could have similar trajectory as RPG round at 130 m/s. 

...and small laser rangefinders for short distances are not too costly to buy and easier to use, not limited to amount of tracers in 1 mag and have higher reliability.

Unrelated - Syria, 2016.

QgTjllR.jpg.

5 hours ago, Beer said:

Much in the Russian army is archaic. Including among new developments. Comrade Looser correctly said that it would be cheaper to use a rangefinder.

But at one time, Russian tank crewmans removed the DVE-BS wind sensors from the tanks. Because they did not know how to use them.

Maybe with the rangefinders in the 21st century the same situation?

Just watched tank biathlon first round... (yep, I had nothing better to do, still more entertaining than formula-1 for example)

3 T-80UE-1 competed, all with female crews. And despite they never were tankists, they did very well. So well, that they would probably beat about 3/4 of the teams from other countries. They were more gentle to the tanks, so hopefully they wont go to the scrapyard. 

Some observations: T-80UD style AAMG mount is very accurate. The commanders hit their target with their first 1-2 rounds.

Main gun shot results were similar as T-72s, all 3 crews hit 2/3 targets. Coax MG bursts were surprisingly accurate however, much more than with T-72. Hits achieved almost immediately, with 2-3 rounds. And finally, T-80s are very fast, max speed was 74km/h, with great acceleration.

1 hour ago, heretic88 said:

Just watched tank biathlon first round... (yep, I had nothing better to do, still more entertaining than formula-1 for example)

3 T-80UE-1 competed, all with female crews. And despite they never were tankists, they did very well. So well, that they would probably beat about 3/4 of the teams from other countries. They were more gentle to the tanks, so hopefully they wont go to the scrapyard. 

Some observations: T-80UD style AAMG mount is very accurate. The commanders hit their target with their first 1-2 rounds.

Main gun shot results were similar as T-72s, all 3 crews hit 2/3 targets. Coax MG bursts were surprisingly accurate however, much more than with T-72. Hits achieved almost immediately, with 2-3 rounds. And finally, T-80s are very fast, max speed was 74km/h, with great acceleration.

Link please!

Today new speed record for "T-72B3 Circus edition" - 78km/h.

How did they do it? Even more tuned engine? Custom sport transmission? Tank gutted inside to reduce weight? Or combination of all 3? 

Serial T-72B3, with 1130hp engine (the one Belarus uses) cant reach more than 72 kmh.

Quite funny, but as far as I know,  the rules for the circus say that no prototypes, only serial tanks. T-72B3 Circus edition is anything but serial... Hard to take this competition seriously. :D 

37 minutes ago, Pascal said:

Actually it's really SU-85, by the docs on it.The hell...

So it seems that neither is wrong, be it ASU-85 or SU-85

Heh, never really payed attention to those old VDV (airdroppable) vehicles.

http://btvt.info/1inservice/su-85.htm

Looks like yes, it is SU-85, to my own surprise.