Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

4 hours ago, Wiedzmin said:

maybe german speaking members can help with this ?:)

I don't know the proper English translations for some of the more technical German terms - but basically it is about the performance of the T-54 and "the Patton" on two different tracks which are simulating off-road travel ("Wellenstrecke" is a track with uneven ground - i.e. (concrete) elements creating a wave pattern, while "Schwellenstrecke" is similar, but the elements are shaped a bit differently).

The table lists speed, the amplitude (vertical movement of the tank), increase in amplitude compared to the normal value on even ground (aka ca. 100 mm according to the text above the first table), measured frequency (how often does the tank "shake" up and down) and some technical/mathematical value representing the behaviour. The last column in the tables lists the condition/state of health (i.e. the crew comfort) of the crew - this is polled by asking the crew (left section of the column in the first table) and by comparing it with data from a graph (right section of the column in the first table).

As the results of polling the crews and looking at the graph were identical in the second and third table, there is only one section.

The condition/state of health has four different values (maybe more are possible):

1. eträglich (endurable - no effect on the crew's health on the long term)
  2. leichtes Unbehagen (slight discomfort)
  3. Unbehagen (discomfort)
  4. schweres Unbehagen (serious discomfort)

I.e. the tables just say: The T-54 driving over the "Schwellenstrecke" type test track will create discomfort for the crew at speeds of 5, 10, 15 and 20 km/h. Due to the shape of the uneven ground, the situation is worse at low speeds, where the tank will move by up to 125 mm as part of the "shaking". When the tank drives fast, the effect decreases, as the tank will not "fall" as deep into the grooves inbetween the bumps of the ground. Still it always will result in discomfort, which means that crews cannot operate as effectively when spending a longer time driving under such conditions.

The second table  shows that the performance on the "Wellenstrecke" is a bit better when driving just 5, 10 or 15 km/h (endurable or only slight discomfort), but the situation gets worse when driving faster, as the tank "shakes" more. According to the third table, "the Patton" tank performs comparable to the T-54 at speeds of 10, 15 and 20 km/h, but is worse than the T-54 at 30 km/h - while the amplitude is still slightly lower, it "shakes" at a higher frequency. This can create "serious discomfort". Basically the T-54 has a shitty supsension, but "the Patton" has an even more shitty suspension.

In attachments I and F are photos shot during night (although it might be a typo and supposed to say "Nahaufnahmen" - photos made from a close range) showing the movement behaviour of both tanks.

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/6943577

From interview with Special Representative of UVZ for Military-Technical Cooperation Alexey Maslov (ex-Commander-in-Chief of the Ground Forces. Later he was the main military representative of the Russian Federation to NATO)

“In place of the numerous modifications of the T-72 since 2011, tanks that have undergone modernization were brought to the uniform appearance of the T-72B3 /.../. About 1.5 thousand were built./.../"

Not sure if that number include T-72B3 UBKh/mod 2016, I guess around 300 of them exist.

I have a question for russian forum members: What happened to Техника и вооружение journal? I mean, even in last year, we had a chapter from Отечественные бронированные машины every 2-3 months, but now there is nothing since May... Why did they stop publishing these exciting articles?

Khlopotov

/.../

Autoloader for the new APFSDS - A patent with drawings and all sorts of schematics about modernisation of a standard autoloader for S-1 and S-2 at L = 740mm have been on the Net for many years! The refinement is elementary. State trials were passed and adopted back in 2005 along with machines - since then it has been regularly installed. S-1 and S-2 are also regularly registered in maintenance documentation on the T-90A and T-72B3. What other arguments do anyone need?

On completion of the autoloader under the "Vacuum-1" L = 900mm - it’s more difficult, because not only the autoloader itself is being finalized, but also the hull. However, the refinement is in principle not hard. Could show, but do not want to for now. If the head is on the shoulders and not in *ss, then even from the diagram of the combat module that I gave, you can make a proposal on a way to implement such a refinement. It is elementary implemented in the cases of T-72, T-90, but there is an option for T-80.

A simple "Vacuum" - L = 1000mm - no way it can be put into hull. But for this, turret basket and dual-flow autoloaders were developed. There are Omsk versions of them on the Web. Test machines were also created and there are also photos of them. The gun for the "Vacuum" also exists - 2A82 and it was originally developed for the modernization of old tanks with inhabited turrets, i.e. has an ejector. Back in the early 00s, the T-72B was modified for it - it was used to test the system at the "Nine's" training ground. The vertical arrangement of the shells in autoloader was also implemented: in [Object] 195, and in [Object] 148. The patent is available on the Web. Placing charges into a turret basket is suicide. Other things being equal, it is safer to transfer APFSDS there, which, by the way, we see in the Omsk patents as dual-flow AZs. And most importantly, all that I said above is somehow already published and not once.

/.../