Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

You should totally get on TS so I can rant to you about it.

But more or less yeah, only "It doesn't seem to work after decades of development yet its flaunted as one of the best mbts by its creator and blind fanboys despite the amount of technical problems that have hindered it's development" would be longer, but more accurate I guess.

Hydropneumatic seems superior in my opinion, since it is a little lighter and does not take up room inside the hull.

Most of the very recent tank designs, like the Korean K2, Turkish Altay and Japanese type 10 have hydropneumatic suspension.

In few months we will see T-14, i would be interested if UVZ still use their torsion bars system. Object 299, 477A and UVZ-made Object 195 used torsion bars. At least i saw information about new rollers for T-14, which are different from what UVZ produce for T-90A.

In next 2-3 days i will make a thread about Oplot-M, Yatagan and Bulat Ukrainian MBTs. Maybe i will make a thread about T-64 perfomance in Ukrainian Civil war. Anybody is interested?

In few months we will see T-14, i would be interested if UVZ still use their torsion bars system. Object 299, 477A and UVZ-made Object 195 used torsion bars. At least i saw information about new rollers for T-14, which are different from what UVZ produce for T-90A.

In next 2-3 days i will make a thread about Oplot-M, Yatagan and Bulat Ukrainian MBTs. Maybe i will make a thread about T-64 perfomance in Ukrainian Civil war. Anybody is interested?

I would be super interested.

OK, as per Bojan, IS-7's gunsight was independently stabilized and there was a gun-follows-sight system.

The Soviet medium tanks were incredibly conservative compared to the prototypes they had in secret.

I would be super interested.

OK, as per Bojan, IS-7's gunsight was independently stabilized and there was a gun-follows-sight system.

The Soviet medium tanks were incredibly conservative compared to the prototypes they had in secret.

As i was telling people at WoT forums, Soviet heavy tanks were 15-20+ years ahead of their medium tank design "brothers". If Khru did not stopped Soviet Heavy tank programm, we could have very different MBT designs in 1960-70 and further.

Ok, i will do that thread.

Oh, Khryusha. What an idiot. There's an episode in the T-62 (I think) Modelist-Konstruktor book where he insists on a drum style rocket magazine instead of a cassette style, just because. Also a sick burn that goes something along the lines of: "On XX-XX-1971, Khruchev declared cannons to be obsolete. On September 11th, 1971, Nikita Sergeevich himself became obsolete."

Edit: oh, and Max Popenker is looking for English and Russian speaking tank enthusiasts to do research for A video game, actually. We have a client looking to make something with solid technical grounding. The role would be to provide research and technical information on various armoured fighting vehicels (1960-present day) to our team. Looks like my name might be in some credits sometime soon :)

Reminds me of that time someone at GAU told Khrushchev they could fit the 100mm T-12 in the T-62. Karcev had to go up to Moscow to inform him that no, it could not fit.

Oh, Khryusha. What an idiot. There's an episode in the T-62 (I think) Modelist-Konstruktor book where he insists on a drum style rocket magazine instead of a cassette style, just because. Also a sick burn that goes something along the lines of: "On XX-XX-1971, Khruchev declared cannons to be obsolete. On September 11th, 1971, Nikita Sergeevich himself became obsolete."

Edit: oh, and Max Popenker is looking for English and Russian speaking tank enthusiasts to do research for A video game, actually. We have a client looking to make something with solid technical grounding. The role would be to provide research and technical information on various armoured fighting vehicels (1960-present day) to our team. Looks like my name might be in some credits sometime soon :)

Is it for AW?

• 2 weeks later...

Kotin Trolling Khrushchev:

When I was called to some kind of meeting in Leningrad, to the tank institute, I always dropped by the Kirov factory for personal interest. Kotin was always happy to see me, told me and showed me what they were working on. During one visit to the design bureau, I dropped by the military representatives' office where my Academy comrades were working. I had a chat with the regional engineer, Colonel A.P. Pavlov.

- Alexander Petrovich, what is Kotin up to these days.
- He's ripping off an American wheeled tractor.
- I don't understand, why? Kotin is a tanker!
- If you tell Kotin "build a spaceship", he will build a spaceship, and Yermolayev will prove that it will fly.

In this case, the result was a tractor called K-700. Its creation earned the Lenin award. Kotin offered the tractor to the Ministry many times, but for some reason, it never worked out. On September 14th, 1964, Khrustchev was coming back from a tank demonstration, and the road from the proving grounds was blocked by a K-700 tractor. All government cars had to drive around it.