Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I'm not sure what it is, exactly, but something about the BTR-80A makes me feel it's a bit better thought out than its Western equivalents.

I like the weapon mount, but the general layout doesn't seem to be for me - after all, the russians are copying the NATO engine in the front setup for K-16 and K-17. Doors in the back mean easier egress under fire

Wow, that's somehow even more unsafe than the design in my poster.

To be fair, it was designed by company owned by a fictional Scotsman who thought high fashion was a chrome full head mask and a black disco suit.

destro.jpg

Ah, the eighties.  Anyway, it kind of reminds me of a slightly more practical version of the outfit worn by Rudy Ray Moore in Avenging Disco Godfather (another film I need to add to my campy film thread!)

disco-godfather.jpg

LoooSeR i believe you had an uncle who served as a T-55 gunner in the GDR, any interesting stories or his thoughts on the tanK?

Yeah, he told me one story about training. They were training with grenades - self defence situation when you through something similar to F1 from turret hatches to kill enemies just outside of the tank. During training second crew member used one grenade, tossed it out of the turret, but it hit equipment on the roof (DShK mount?) and immediately bounced back into tank. Uncle managed to grab him and jump out of a tank before explosion. 

He said that tank had "200 mm of steel, which is a lot" frontal armor and that gun was accurate.

1eKEA.jpg

LoooSeR, do you have any information or pictures on what APFSDS rounds most current units are using? I know Russia has huge stocks of Mango and such, but certainly newer rounds like the 3BM42M or 46 are in some form of service... Problem is just finding pictures of them in tank, etc.