Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I am curious how wide IS-7 was.  According to Ogorkiewicz, IS-3 and T-55 were built to the maximum width that Soviet rail gauge could permit two-way cargo.

If IS-7 was wider, that would mean that it would be a substantially greater logistical burden to get IS-7s to the front.

Ru wiki syas 3.4 meters. T-54 is 3.27 meters.

Even if the AL requires the loaders to move the ready rack conveyor then it's still just like the AL on AMX-13 AIUI.

Why the hell didn't it have more ammo? 2.5k is abysmal, chieftain and M60 have twice that (or thereabouts) in the ready boxes for their coaxes. The boolit stool for the gunner was neat, but it sorely needs more MG ammo

I was going to ask you about the AMX-13 autoloader.

IS-7 doesn't seem to have much internal space; a flaw shared with IS-3.  I'm surprised there's enough turret depth to be comfy with the way the hull cross section is shaped, but then again, there isn't a basket, so maybe it really sucks when the thing rotates.

Still scratching my head over when that placard could be referring to if there's no power ammunition conveyor, but who knows.

It would be very easy to fit a proper basket to IS-7, since it has the needed rotating floor already. Just add some mesh.

The IS-7 had a turret basket, a flaw of which was that you had to remove spent casings from or it would jam.

Same happens with abramses, per  tanknet at least one abrams turret has been jammed by a .50 case in the wrong place

• 2 weeks later...

wi00uMC.png

Ob 277.  Note that the fourth road wheel uses a leading swing arm so that the turret basket is not sitting on top of the torsion bar.  It's a similar arrangement to the AMX-30.

I have been unable to locate good enough pictures to tell if the example in Kubinka is like this too.  A lot of profile drawings show 277 with normal, all-trailing swing arms.

uVAiOVr.png

More of 277 and its torsion bars.  It looks to be using IS-7 style bars-in-tube torsion bars.

The front idler appears to be attached to the first road wheel, similar to the arrangement in a lot of American tanks, and the first torsion bar appears to be longer.

interesting.  I like how they have the fourth wheel station reversed to make room for the turret ring. 

The stresses will also be a function of road wheel diameter.

For a given obstacle size, the horizontal vector of force of striking an obstacle will be smaller if the road wheel is larger, up until the obstacle is as high as the axle of the road wheel.

Peak stress will occur lower than that - you just need the point through which the force acts to be in line with the swingarm (and for a trailing arm, this point is well above the axle). Once you're hitting at the axle level then some of the force will try and flip the arm round to a trailing position, which would be exciting.