Sturgeon's House
LoooSeR

Ukrainian armor - Oplot-M, T-64M Bulat and other.

On 9/26/2018 at 11:38 AM, N-L-M said:

In larger 2-strokes, the overpressure problem is solved with a blower of some kind, usually an engine-powered supercharger (turbos don't work at low speed, but external blowing is also possible), which allows the crankcase to not be used for air pumping.

The solution used on soviet 5TDF (and probably also 6TD) is especially interesting, because it is a hybrid of turbo and a gear driven centrifugal blower. Primary power source for the blower is of course the gears that connect it to the crankshafts, but at higher engine speeds, the turbine begins to produce more and more power.

3 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

Well, at least those 2 are made in metal and were tested, instead of 3D renders of T-Rex.

But Ukraine has 477 Godlike Objects. And more information with the experience of creating a new generation of tanks

2 minutes ago, Karamazov said:

But Ukraine has 477 Godlike Objects. And more information with the experience of creating a new generation of tanks

And? Having several Soviet tanks don't automatically make you capable of designing and producing AFVs. And what "new generation" of tanks Ukraine created?

11 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

And? Having several Soviet tanks don't automatically make you capable of designing and producing AFVs. And what "new generation" of tanks Ukraine created?

Object 477 - its colossal experience for any country and especially for Ukraine. As you can remember, Russia and Ukrain worked on it together. Russia after then created the Object 195 and T-14 after few years. Kharkiv KMDB have everything for the successful creation of a new generation of tanks: "brains", experience, production capacity. Everything except money. Anyway, they will have enough strength for a couple of demonstration tanks. Maybe foreign investors will help. Or the government will find money (hardly)

36 minutes ago, Karamazov said:

Object 477 - its colossal experience for any country and especially for Ukraine. As you can remember, Russia and Ukrain worked on it together. Russia after then created the Object 195 and T-14 after few years.

/.../

Majority of work was done on 477 by Soviet Union, not by separated Ukraine and Russia. Experienced is earned by designers and workers, not by country. I doubt that any of those who worked on 477 are still working on anything serious. Also, Object 195 was not a development of 477, while Armata was based on Object 195 and Object 299 ideas.

/.../

Kharkiv KMDB have everything for the successful creation of a new generation of tanks: "brains", experience, production capacity. Everything except money. Anyway, they will have enough strength for a couple of demonstration tanks. Maybe foreign investors will help. Or the government will find money (hardly)

What? Kharkov barelly managed to poop out last Oplot tank out, they fucked up their work so much that Chinese military industry managed to grab Thai army and sell them their tanks. China signed a contract with Thai army, made and delivered big first batch of VTs in shorter amount of time that it took Kharkov to produce and deliver their yet another batch of 5 Oplots.

Ukraine in all those years didn't managed to make anything more advanced than "yet another version of T-64" or "yet another version of T-80UD". I doubt that Kharkiv have enough "brains" left, any sort of serious production capability needed to create anything more sophisticated than a re-mix of Soviet-designed parts, and enough money to get out current situation. 

18 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

What? Kharkov barelly managed to poop out last Oplot tank out, they fucked up their work so much that Chinese military industry managed to grab Thai army and sell them their tanks.

Not just the slow manufacture of Oplots. I heard some rumors that there are serious quality problems with them too, and they are very unreliable. Except protection, VT-4 is better in every imaginable way.

11 minutes ago, heretic88 said:

Not just the slow manufacture of Oplots. I heard some rumors that there are serious quality problems with them too, and they are very unreliable. Except protection, VT-4 is better in every imaginable way.

Quality isn't a priority for when you are trying to make PR stunt, which is what Object 477-based/derived tank will be, if Ukrainian official will try to actually make them. Although yes, Dozor-B, BTR-4s, Molot mortars are well known examples of low quality production weapon systems.

2 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

Majority of work was done on 477 by Soviet Union, not by separated Ukraine and Russia. Experienced is earned by designers and workers, not by country. I doubt that any of those who worked on 477 are still working on anything serious. Also, Object 195 was not a development of 477, while Armata was based on Object 195 and Object 299 ideas.

The main work was done by Kharkov KMDB while the USSR was alive. Of course, they didn’t do anything more serious than a "BM Oplot", but that doesn’t cancel their development capabilities. But as I said, they have money difficulties. And this is the most important problem.

What? Kharkov barelly managed to poop out last Oplot tank out

This will not prevent them from making test samples of tanks. But they can only dream of mass production.

Ukraine in all those years didn't managed to make anything more advanced than "yet another version of T-64" or "yet another version of T-80UD". I doubt that Kharkiv have enough "brains" left, any sort of serious production capability needed to create anything more sophisticated than a re-mix of Soviet-designed parts, and enough money to get out current situation. 

As you said, Object 477 is a Soviet mbt. By the same principle, they can use it to "re-mix of Soviet-designed parts", i think.  Of course, if they didn't sold everything to China for example. 

1 hour ago, Karamazov said:

The main work was done by Kharkov KMDB while the USSR was alive. Of course, they didn’t do anything more serious than a "BM Oplot", but that doesn’t cancel their development capabilities. But as I said, they have money difficulties. And this is the most important problem.

/.../

Work was done across many participants of Soviet military industrail complex. They can't suddenly now pull those capabilities out of nowhere. Just for example - gun(s), ammunition, armor - were developed outside of Kharkov.

But not only capabilities - Soviet Union had way more serious military trails/acceptance/development procedures than current Ukraine, which was a reason and a moderator of 1980s MBT projects.

Having money will not solve this. In fact having money would make it worse, as plenty of projects will be used to steal them instead.

/.../

This will not prevent them from making test samples of tanks. But they can only dream of mass production.

/.../

Azovets 2.0? Assemble a single vehicle from crap and then toss it into a trash bin?

/.../

As you said, Object 477 is a Soviet mbt. By the same principle, they can use it to "re-mix of Soviet-designed parts", i think.  Of course, if they didn't sold everything to China for example. 

USSR didn't finished 477s. It is hard to remix of unfinished and not serially produced systems.

3 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

Just for example - gun(s), ammunition, armor - were developed outside of Kharkov.

I do not condone anyone, but they themselves can make guns and shells. KBA-3 for example, but this is just a modification of 2A46M.

Azovets 2.0? Assemble a single vehicle from crap and then toss it into a trash bin?

Azovets was made by engineers from "Azov" nazi-regiment

USSR didn't finished 477s. It is hard to remix of unfinished and not serially produced systems.

Yes, all works were transferred to the Russian Federation at the mid 90s. If i remember correct, "Nota" prototype stored in RF. But KMDB have more information about it, for obvious reasons. They can use (will use, if new project will start) this information. 

52 minutes ago, Clan_Ghost_Bear said:

Are those a Ukrainian version of the Assault Breacher in the front row?

They seem to me to just be old T-64A's that have their main guns removed and mine rollers added.  The vehicles on the right side of the image appear to be BREM-1s.

10 hours ago, Karamazov said:

I do not condone anyone, but they themselves can make guns and shells. KBA-3 for example, but this is just a modification of 2A46M.

Exactly. It is just a Soviet-made tank cannon that was re-named.

Azovets was made by engineers from "Azov" nazi-regiment

I know that, i was referring to PR noise vs results.

Yes, all works were transferred to the Russian Federation at the mid 90s. If i remember correct, "Nota" prototype stored in RF. But KMDB have more information about it, for obvious reasons. They can use (will use, if new project will start) this information. 

It is great that they have piles of documents, problem is that:

1) Tank design was not finished before project died, it needs more R&D

2) Creation of systems that Soviet Union never produced or even had as test/prototype samples

3) Production of test vehicles will be needed, testing in order to make it work, especially brand new autoloader and FCS.