Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Ukrainian armor - Oplot-M, T-64M Bulat and other.

LoooSeR

Random thought: I wonder if some day Osprey will publish a book in their "Duel" series called "T-64 vs T-72: Ukraine 2015."

it should read "T-64 vs RPG-29: Western Russia 2015"

one thing that has surprised me the is the total lack of T-62s in this conflict (which were very common in the Georgia conflict, right in my backyard i might add, ive seen a decent amount of T-62s during those times) and T-55 analogs

I guess they were all taken back over to Russian during the collaspe of the USSR or Ukraine is just that bad at maintaining vehicles that can run for what seems like forever with very little maintenance 

it should read "T-64 vs RPG-29: Western Russia 2015"

one thing that has surprised me the is the total lack of T-62s in this conflict (which were very common in the Georgia conflict, right in my backyard i might add, ive seen a decent amount of T-62s during those times) and T-55 analogs

I guess they were all taken back over to Russian during the collaspe of the USSR or Ukraine is just that bad at maintaining vehicles that can run for what seems like forever with very little maintenance 

I'm not sure they have any of the older T-62 or T-55 tanks.  In the wikipedia page for equipment of the Ukrainian ground forces, they only list more modern tanks.  Of course, Wikipedia is not always accurate.  Being home to the Kharkov design bureau, I suspect Ukraine had more than enough modern vehicles to equip their military  after the break up of the Soviet Union, so they didn't bother keeping the older T-62 or T-55 around.   That's my best guess at least.