Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Ukrainian armor - Oplot-M, T-64M Bulat and other.

LoooSeR

Ukrainian Oplot-M in Pakistan, it showed itself as better vehicle for Pakistan than MBT-3000, according to Tarasenko Andrey's information.

419918_original.jpg

Pakistan is yet to have received a T-90MS for testing. Oplot-M going head-to-head will be with the MS will be interesting, to say the least...

The Ukr/Paki nuts at PD were going nuts and claiming the Oplot will actually be acquired. Simply put, Pakistan has rejected the MBT-3000, and hence the Oplot-M is the only vehicle they current have in possession, that they are actually considering. - Ukraine does not have the industry to build a few, nevermind a few hundred.

In regards to a possible deal with Ukraine, Pakistan would do it is as a way of keeping commonality with their T-80UD's, which will allegedly receive a few upgrades including either Nozh or Duplet.

Outside of that, the Oplot-M didn't offer them anything that other vehicles do not. T-80UD's even had heat issues in the Pakistani Deserts, IIRC.

This isn't completely relevant to the above, but Nozh (never-mind the more powerful Duplet) has major problems with detonating neighboring ERA modules, and even blowing inserts/track-covers off the vehicle... Ukraine went for the easy solution by adding more explosive, but that came with drawbacks (aforementioned issues and just the weight... Oplot-M has FIVE TONNES of the stuff). Relikt actually uses less mass of explosives (roughly 50% less) than K-5, yet achieves twice the performance against KE.

Welcome Mike E!

There were some pictures in this very thread earlier that, IIRC, showed what looks like chain detonation of Ukrainian ERA.

As was discussed in another thread, Nozh uses a novel mechanism to defeat threats; the ERA is filled with linear shaped charges.  As to whether this actually works, the jury is still out (Russian computer modelling suggests that Nozh does not work).

Pakistan is yet to have received a T-90MS for testing. Oplot-M going head-to-head will be with the MS will be interesting, to say the least...

The Ukr/Paki nuts at PD were going nuts and claiming the Oplot will actually be acquired. Simply put, Pakistan has rejected the MBT-3000, and hence the Oplot-M is the only vehicle they current have in possession, that they are actually considering. - Ukraine does not have the industry to build a few, nevermind a few hundred.

In regards to a possible deal with Ukraine, Pakistan would do it is as a way of keeping commonality with their T-80UD's, which will allegedly receive a few upgrades including either Nozh or Duplet.

Outside of that, the Oplot-M didn't offer them anything that other vehicles do not. T-80UD's even had heat issues in the Pakistani Deserts, IIRC.

This isn't completely relevant to the above, but Nozh (never-mind the more powerful Duplet) has major problems with detonating neighboring ERA modules, and even blowing inserts/track-covers off the vehicle... Ukraine went for the easy solution by adding more explosive, but that came with drawbacks (aforementioned issues and just the weight... Oplot-M has FIVE TONNES of the stuff). Relikt actually uses less mass of explosives (roughly 50% less) than K-5, yet achieves twice the performance against KE.

Based Mike is Based

Welcome to the Lion's den my friend!

What are the plates hanging off the turret ERA?  I've seen them on T-80s as well.

Just stand-off spaced armor, or something fancy?

They distort GSR.  Things like the AN/TPQ 36 and 37. It also messed with some laser guided artillery rounds. We learned about not designating certain parts of Russian tanks because of these skirts as well as the anti-laser systems they had. 

*edit, LoooSer already answered. 

Welcome Mike E!

There were some pictures in this very thread earlier that, IIRC, showed what looks like chain detonation of Ukrainian ERA.

As was discussed in another thread, Nozh uses a novel mechanism to defeat threats; the ERA is filled with linear shaped charges. As to whether this actually works, the jury is still out (Russian computer modelling suggests that Nozh does not work).

Thank you.

I've seen those pictures and even a few others... It's all due to the large number and high explosive power of Nozh bricks.

Nozh & Duplet in theory work great, but their design prohibits consistent performance. If the 'knives' do not break or shatter the incoming long-rods, they will have little impact. An impact flat on a brick will also yield little performance for the ERA, as the round will only be hit with one or maybe two 'knives'. Mind telling me what thread this was discussed in? This one here is what attracted me so I haven't had the time to look over any others.

@Tied I'm pretty stuck in...but like anyone else, accepting to change opinion.

Thank you as well.

Thank you.

I've seen those pictures and even a few others... It's all due to the large number and high explosive power of Nozh bricks.

Nozh & Duplet in theory work great, but their design prohibits consistent performance. If the 'knives' do not break or shatter the incoming long-rods, they will have little impact. An impact flat on a brick will also yield little performance for the ERA, as the round will only be hit with one or maybe two 'knives'. Mind telling me what thread this was discussed in? This one here is what attracted me so I haven't had the time to look over any others.

@Tied I'm pretty stuck in...but like anyone else, accepting to change opinion.

Thank you as well.

I said based, i beleive's is a slang for good 

Sure thing Mike E, the discussion of ERA is here.

All ERA only works when it is at some obliquity to the threat, Nozh isn't unique in that respect.

Thanks for letting me know.... IIRC Relikt does indeed use less explosives in mass than K-5, possibly I misunderstood and they meant each charge weighed 50%. 

Nozh is especially susceptible per; 

N%C3%B3%C5%BC%206.png

rather than the ideal...

N%C3%B3%C5%BC%205.jpg

Welcome to the forum, Mike E!

Thank you Sturgeon. 

@Tied Where I am at, 'based' just means you don't care what other people think, but it's fine.  :)

Relikt use 2 kg of exposives, Kontakt-5 have ~0.5kg. Nozh module have 2-2.5 kg of explosives. Oplot-BM side armor modules have 3 layers of ERA, which would be interesting to see how it detonates and results of such boom.

Is that gun tube bent? Maybe is just the angle of the photo. 

I think that a piece of the thermal shroud is a bit off center.

Thanks for letting me know.... IIRC Relikt does indeed use less explosives in mass than K-5, possibly I misunderstood and they meant each charge weighed 50%. 

Nozh is especially susceptible per; 

N%C3%B3%C5%BC%206.png

rather than the ideal...

N%C3%B3%C5%BC%205.jpg

Thank you Sturgeon. 

@Tied Where I am at, 'based' just means you don't care what other people think, but it's fine.  :)

Aha, I see what you mean now.  Nohz is potentially much less effective if the penetrator hits the top of the plate rather than the bottom.

Aha, I see what you mean now.  Nohz is potentially much less effective if the penetrator hits the top of the plate rather than the bottom.

Nozh is more effective when round hit far/upper part of ERA block, and much less effective when projectile hits near lower edge. In first situation ERA block will dump energy to projectile body almost completely (not countring usual losses of energy), while in second situation ERA module detonation will be wasted almost totally - all HEAT warheads will detonate, but majority of them will not be able to affect projectile body because of its location/trajectory.

From previous post, picture of what i am talking about:

First situation: 

BXsH98R.jpg

Almost all plates/HEAT jets reached APFSDS projectile body. Projectile was hit many times acros big chunk of its body length.

Second variant:

aL8rHcd.png

ERA module managed to damage only tip of projectile, while all other HEAT warheads of ERA just mixed some air. Not very effective. 

Nozh ERA effectiveness is very sensitive to where incoming threat managed to hit particular ERA block. Maybe too sensitive, which can create all kinds of results - from Nozh being able to protect against some tandem HEAT ATGM warheads, to being penetrated by old RPG HEAT grenade.

Vice-versa as LoooSeR noted and described. Thank you to him. 

Relikt use 2 kg of exposives, Kontakt-5 have ~0.5kg. Nozh module have 2-2.5 kg of explosives. Oplot-BM side armor modules have 3 layers of ERA, which would be interesting to see how it detonates and results of such boom.

Maybe my source was mistaken... 4S24 uses 1/2 the explosives as 4S20. 

The set of K-5 weighs ~1.5 tons, and the larger (ie more coverage) Relikt kits on the T-72B2 supposedly weighed ~2.3 tons. Considering Relikt uses more mass in metal with multiple charges/plates, that is not a dramatic weight gain. I'd wager that it uses more explosives than K-5, but much more. 

NII Stali information shows TNT equivalent for single 4S24 unit is about 50% of Kontakt-5, but article by Tractornie Zavody concern (NII Stali is part of it) claims that explosives weight is about 2 kg for one Relikt module. Maybe there are both right?

qunGA8QtOAA.jpg

NII Stali information shows TNT equivalent for single 4S24 unit is about 50% of Kontakt-5, but article by Tractornie Zavody concern (NII Stali is part of it) claims that explosives weight is about 2 kg for one Relikt module. Maybe there are both right?

W9cXv.jpg

This picture shows that 4S24 unit is 1.36 kg, while TNT equivalent is 0.14 kg. I think we are missing something or there is mistake in article that i linked in ERA thread. Or they could count some additional parts of ERA module.

Honestly I wouldn't know... 4S24 is the less potent side panel module and should have less mass explosives than say, K-5. 4S23 could easily have more due to its' multi-layer design. Because we are getting so specific into ERA we should continue the conversation there. 

Honestly I wouldn't know... 4S24 is the less potent side panel module and should have less mass explosives than say, K-5. 4S23 could easily have more due to its' multi-layer design. Because we are getting so specific into ERA we should continue the conversation there. 

I agree.