Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Ukrainian armor - Oplot-M, T-64M Bulat and other.

LoooSeR

1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

Exactly. It is just a Soviet-made tank cannon that was re-named.

with some modifications that made in Kiev after the death of the USSR. But in general, yes.

It is great that they have piles of documents, problem is that:

1) Tank design was not finished before project died, it needs more R&D

2) Creation of systems that Soviet Union never produced or even had as test/prototype samples

3) Production of test vehicles will be needed, testing in order to make it work, especially brand new autoloader and FCS.

I agree with you, but in general, I believe that their strength will be enough. After the death of the USSR, they created some elements for tanks.
Finally, they can use any parts form T-80 chassis and combat control system from most newest tank what ukrain have. 
T-Rex its PR project. On the basis of the T-64 (Obj 432 if you like), nothing can be done normally. But something can be done normally on the basis of the BM Oplot, my opinion.

33 minutes ago, Karamazov said:

I agree with you, but in general, I believe that their strength will be enough. After the death of the USSR, they created some elements for tanks.

Thats is where our differences are - you believe, i observe. If Kharkov will make something decent not by a remix of "Soviet best hits", than i will change my opinion.

36 minutes ago, Karamazov said:

/.../
Finally, they can use any parts form T-80 chassis and combat control system from most newest tank what ukrain have. 
/.../

Umm... than this is going to be yet another shuffling Soviet-made/derived subsystems.

38 minutes ago, Karamazov said:

/.../

But something can be done normally on the basis of the BM Oplot, my opinion.

On chassis T-80UD, you wanted to say. "Normally" things can be done on T-64 chassis as well.

49 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

Thats is where our differences are - you believe, i observe. If Kharkov will make something decent not by a remix of "Soviet best hits", than i will change my opinion.

Deal.

50 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

Umm... than this is going to be yet another shuffling Soviet-made/derived subsystems.

Plan "b" as option :)

51 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

On chassis T-80UD, you wanted to say. "Normally" things can be done on T-64 chassis as well.

doesn't matter: on the Obj 219sp2 base. 

53 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

"Normally" things can be done on T-64 chassis as well.

Now even a normal tank cannot be made on this base. Chassis outdated. BM Bulat for example

Azovets was stolen on the order of the same former head of the Azov regiment, now head of a political party.
Now it lies in non-operational conditions somewhere in Ukraine
The entire structure of the engineering group (now Arey) has been looted and destroyed. 

Representatives of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Egypt in Kharkov on KMDB. 

It's all before the show IDEX-2018 which will be in Egypt. They were shown the BTR-4 and BTR-4-MB1,  T-72 and T-62 tanks with 6TD engines. And "BM Oplot".
Well, there were firing of course.  

vRiymA5SbU4.jpg

https://theworldnews.net/ua-news/v-preddverie-debiutnoi-mezhdunarodnoi-oboronnoi-vystavki-khar-kov-posetili-egipetskie-tankisty-foto

• 2 weeks later...

Best tank in the universe and VT-4 next to each other

"Best tank in the universe" looks like a pile of trash compared to VT-4 :D  The chinese machine at least look like a proper tank, not heaps of metal junk cobbled together. Thailand is satisfied with them, so wants to buy even more VT-4s:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1610530/army-seeks-approval-for-more-vt4-tanks

6 minutes ago, heretic88 said:

"Best tank in the universe" looks like a pile of trash compared to VT-4 :D  The chinese machine at least look like a proper tank, not heaps of metal junk cobbled together. Thailand is satisfied with them, so wants to buy even more VT-4s:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1610530/army-seeks-approval-for-more-vt4-tanks

Well, i wouldn't crap on Ololot THAT much, but VT-4 is for sure looks to be a better decision for Thai Army, as those tanks actually can be build and delivered according to contract.

21 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

Well, i wouldn't crap on Ololot THAT much, but VT-4 is for sure looks to be a better decision for Thai Army, as those tanks actually can be build and delivered according to contract.

Well, my comment was primarily about the aesthetics of the Oplot. One of the ugliest tanks in the last ~30 years, along with the TR-125. Other than that, it isnt that a bad tank, but definitely has lots of design flaws. Oplot has quite excellent armor, but the VT-4 has better mobility, and is lightyears ahead in terms of sights and electronics. And probably far more reliable.

BTW, one thing I noticed, what is wrong with Oplots steering system? It is so jerky in turns. Almost like overloaded skid steer loaders. It has similar transmission to T-64/72/80, but those older tanks turn far more smoothly. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, heretic88 said:

What is the point of this thing? Even more budget cuts, ukrainian equivalent of T-72B3?

Bulat was a quite nice upgrade, maybe not the cheapest. Then came the simplified T-64B1M, still quite acceptable, but even that was too expensive for ukraine?

Yeah, essentially this is a T-64B3. Same stuff on both T-72B3 and this upgrade that were changed between original and moded versions - thermal imager, GPS. In case of B3  mod2016, new ERA as well