Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Help Wanted: "Battle of the Battle Rifles"!

Alex C.

I think showing just one rifle going through such test will be enough. Let it be a small "brake for a giggle" for viewers, which will remind them about size and [un]practical side of those guns in general. 

Or

Combine quick close range shooting with car/jeep - fire from car at targets at different sides/angles of the car. 

I like the first idea. It's more of a "give the viewer something to consider as they watch" sort of deal, and doesn't require as much of an investment in something that's only interesting to weenies like me.

Hi Alex, welcome to SH.  I am a oddity here, I know a good bit about tanks and AFVs (I even have a website about them) but not so much about small arms.  However, I have watched a fair number of your videos and found them both informative and entertaining.  Glad to have you here.  

By the way, what exactly is the criteria you are using to define "battle rifle."  

1. Travel to Rome

2. Have an every team for themselves battle royale in the arena with each team using a different rifle model

3. Last team standing has their surviving members and their rifles decreed the lords of warfare!

It's basically a made-up commercial term for 7.62mm infantry rifle with a big magazine.

It was solid marketing, that sold a lot of magazines in the 80's.

Used to have a collection of the more ridiculous/bombastic examples.

Ah, just found a bunch more-

You want these? might be fun to scan in some of the crazy ads/articles for site use.

gmCQBIJ.jpg

Went ahead and put together a box of the magazines and some other gun-junk. PM me with an address if you want this stuff.

Moving to Kentucky this week/early next so I will probably be offline for a while in the near future.

Some minor ideas for "long range" part of video (if first will be "CQB") - how about aiming only in the heads, trying to 'simulate' firefight with soldiers in cover? Maybe even use some basic cover like a tree and place targets behind them, partially covered by a trunk, branches and leaves? This test also can be done with only one rifle as an addition to main test.

It was solid marketing, that sold a lot of magazines in the 80's.

Used to have a collection of the more ridiculous/bombastic examples.

Ah, just found a bunch more-

You want these? might be fun to scan in some of the crazy ads/articles for site use.

gmCQBIJ.jpg

Went ahead and put together a box of the magazines and some other gun-junk. PM me with an address if you want this stuff.

Moving to Kentucky this week/early next so I will probably be offline for a while in the near future.

I appreciate it, thanks.

If you want to do a retro build, you get to dive right in to Armaliteology. I'm still learning, but I'm probably ahead of where you are, so please feel free to ask me for advice.

Yeah, whenever I say I'm going to read up, it usually means square one stuff. I was in a gun shop (note to readers: Don't go into any rural PA gun shops) looking at receivers to see what they had, and my counter time was interrupted by some guy scoffing at me for wanting to build an AR-15 because they're "too expensive to make, maintain, and shoot." The clerk helping me joined in and they both went on about the upcoming Civil War #2. So I think I'm gonna find some resources on building ARs, and any reputable stuff for a beginner you have would be nice.

Going back on topic, I'm really looking forward to this video. I love that TFB TV has a nice mix of appreciation for old and new, so I know these guns are in good hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, whenever I say I'm going to read up, it usually means square one stuff. I was in a gun shop (note to readers: Don't go into any rural PA gun shops) looking at receivers to see what they had, and my counter time was interrupted by some guy scoffing at me for wanting to build an AR-15 because they're "too expensive to make, maintain, and shoot."

I'd wonder what it was they were trying to push instead, with attitudes like that.  That sounds very much like a sales lead-in.

I'd wonder what it was they were trying to push instead, with attitudes like that.  That sounds very much like a sales lead-in.

It was a customer. I don't know what he was getting at, but he was rolling his eyes at the clerk any time I tried to say something, and the clerk I think wanted to just get away from the guy. I swear I never see anyone actually buy anything in that store. I tried again recently to buy up a bunch of rounds of .303, and was ignored by the three clerks behind the counter who were talking conspiracy theories with a militia recruiter, since there were pamphlets and such on the counter. The service there if you're not a relative or friend of a clerk is just notoriously shitty, but it's the only place within 40 miles where I can buy ammo that isn't run by a genuine lunatic. I want to stop going, but I'd need to drive my poor little Volvo an hour both ways at least to the closest genuine gun shop.

For .303" I'd discover handloading. You literally just have to neck size, and you can find a huge variety of projos for .303".

otherwise, I've thrown customers out of places I've worked in for far less. Crimping a sale is a sure way to get thrown the fuck out in my book.

Don't need it for a Lee Classic Loader. Get a plastic cutting board, some trays, a rubber mallet, and go to town.

Now, I wouldn't recommend the Lee Loader for all calibers, but I think it's a really good match for a Lee-Enfield in .303 caliber. .303 brass, especially Prvi brass, is extremely tough and will survive many reloadings. Lee Enfields are gentle on the case head, and the big thick rim of the cartridge is durable enough to be cycled many times, and of course your brass is easy to keep in a pile during shooting since the rifle is manually operated. Lee Enfields also have very loose chambers, meaning that although you probably will have to match brass that has been fired out of one .303 chamber to that chamber, once it's fired you're very unlikely to get a dangerous situation or a sticky case, even though the Lee Classic doesn't full-length size the case.

You can load any smokeless powder round with blackpowder, if the bore-to-maximum-case-interior-diameter ratio is high enough.

I've seen a few articles where the authors have played with blackpowder in the .45 ACP.  Besides the obvious M1911A1, one ambitious fellow decided to run the loads through an Ingram M10...instant smokescreen.

I've seen a few articles where the authors have played with blackpowder in the .45 ACP.  Besides the obvious M1911A1, one ambitious fellow decided to run the loads through an Ingram M10...instant smokescreen.

I have a friend who loaded up .45acp with black powder... and shot it out of his select-fire mac 10. The smoke cloud was epic.

Sounds like you two know the same guy...