Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
T___A

Ukrainian Civil War Thread: All Quiet on the Sturgeon Front

3 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

So I was correct, those are period specific uniforms. Living under Soviet rule must have been pretty bad if Germany was viewed as a liberator.

Yes, you missed a point. 

26 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

Yes, you missed a point. 

Was the point the Nazi imagery on those uniforms, that they represent Ukrainians who fought on Germany’s side against the Soviet Union, or something else?

https://vk.com/milinfolive?w=wall-123538639_715166

The example of the UAF at the Combined Resolve X exercises, NATO units demonstrated their unability to conduct battles against an organized enemy instead of the usual "Papuans".

Mostly the Americans got smacked...

One time the Abrams were beaten without losses, then [UAF] went behind the line and hit from the rear (as a result, the combined group "destroyed" more than 10 enemy vehicles, including 4 Abrams tanks, 4 Bradley IFVs, 2 Apache helicopters and several HMMVs, and up to 20 fighters. The "losses" of UAF side 1 APC, 2 tanks and 13 soldiers).

Than the organizers decided to replay one of the episodes ("resurrecting" all the dead, and in that unsuccessful attack by a mechanized company of the United States, 4 Bradley were destroyed, up to 80% of the manpower were killed) ... and attacking UAF on a new one.

The flank attack, although not so catastrophic in terms of losses as previous (2 Bradley), but it did not bring success nevertheless. BLUEFOR (a consolidated group of representatives of various countries, opponents of the group which includes fighters of the UAF) were forced to retreat.

A logical question arises: what NATO instructors can teach the UAF?

So, practicing my 'Pancake-Turreted, Tracked-Box' ID:

dan-news.info-2018-05-03_07-37-51_545067

dan-news.info-2018-05-03_07-38-27_317084

T-72Bs followed by T-64BVs?

Not much for the OSCE to get excited about there.....Where are all the T-90s?  :P

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

So, practicing my 'Pancake-Turreted, Tracked-Box' ID:

-skipped-

T-72Bs followed by T-64BVs?

Not much for the OSCE to get excited about there.....Where are all the T-90s?  :P

Yes, those are T-72B obr 1985 and T-64BVs with Kontakt-1.

T-90s are back home, "northerners" took them back.

1463575018_7pvdbzis7bq.jpg

strutinsky-serg5.jpg

Spoiler

HYL0N7D.jpg

150725_original.jpg

#US flags were spotted on the front line in #DPR . #Donetsk

DcnFTQvXUAU0d9h.jpg

DcnFZlCXcAA4lYM.jpg

So Johns are getting into this? :D 

Can we do like Isreal does with Syria - claim US as Satan and bomb them time to time and everywhere bomb hit UAF claim to be Ira Trump's aggressors?

I guess this should go here, as it relates to Ukraine, but Ukrainian Navy dolphins were starved after Russian annexation... I don't know what to think about this. 

tl;dr, the Dolphins were trained by the Ukraine Navy for mine detection and personnel recovery (in case someone fell overboard). Apparently, they refused to be feed by the Russian handlers, and starved... I guess even the dolphins in Ukraine have a Russian hate boner? 

On a side note: why would you use a dolphin for mine recon when there's sonar and USV's? 

16 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

I guess this should go here, as it relates to Ukraine, but Ukrainian Navy dolphins were starved after Russian annexation... I don't know what to think about this. 

tl;dr, the Dolphins were trained by the Ukraine Navy for mine detection and personnel recovery (in case someone fell overboard). Apparently, they refused to be feed by the Russian handlers, and starved... I guess even the dolphins in Ukraine have a Russian hate boner? 

On a side note: why would you use a dolphin for mine recon when there's sonar and USV's? 

Why you post news from dumpsters here?

1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

Why you post news from dumpsters here?

I suppose I should have elaborated: 

1. In the article, it referenced there was Russian and Ukrainian news on this as well, citing “Obozrevatel” as a source. I can’t read it, so I was wondering what it says about this (on phone, so no google translate). 

2. I’m wondering why the hell this is in American news, other than a “let’s hate Russia for [insert anything]” type of article. 

3. I didn’t know (nor would have ever though) that anyone would use dolphins for military purposes (dare I say, porpoises :D). I knew the providers were garbage, but when I read the title, my brain said “WUT?” so hard I couldn’t stop myself from clicking. 

I guess my main concern was “why are the Ukrainians using dolphins?” as it doesn’t make sense to me. Should have made that clearer, rather than as a side note. 

On 5/17/2018 at 10:00 AM, Lord_James said:

3. I didn’t know (nor would have ever though) that anyone would use dolphins for military purposes (dare I say, porpoises :D). I knew the providers were garbage, but when I read the title, my brain said “WUT?” so hard I couldn’t stop myself from clicking. 

The US Navy has a Marine mammal program too that seems to do pretty similar things to what they were doing there. (I say seems because the information is pretty tightly controlled and there isn't much to go on)

My thinking is that they obviously must have some pretty substantial advantages to be worth the cost and etc.

One of the things I've heard is that they may be used against enemy combat swimmers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By LoooSeR
      BM "Oplot"

Ukrainian designers managed to make biggest panoramic sight i ever saw - overall weight of it is reaching 500 kg.

Oplot-M, or BM "Oplot" after addoption to service in Ukrainian army, is Ukrainian MBT based on another Ukrainian MBT - T-84 "Oplot", which is Soviet-designed T-80UD with some modifications. BM Oplot was designed by Morozov Kharkiv Machine Building Design Bureau and produced by Malyshev factory. Chief designer of BM Oplot - Mikhail Dem'yanovich Borisuk (he was born in 1934, BTW).

It have several features, separating it from T-80UD, T-90A and T-84. Engine is new 6 cylinder 6TD-2E 1200 HP diesel with lowered smokiness and exhaust toxicity (wich is a problem for Kharkov engines) in new engine-transmission compartment (which is 2 part - lower is for engine itself and upper part is for big airfilters, which are needed because of how much air 6TD "eats"), new sort-of automatical transmission. Tank is equipped with new navigation systems, FCS, panoramic sight for commander with day and night (thermal imager) capabilities, new remotely controlled KT-12.7 12.7 mm HMG for commander, new gunner sights, which bring it to modern level of how tank should be equipped. A lot of that equipment is made not in Ukraine.

From the side BM Oplot looks different from Soviet T-64-like MBTs.

Main gun is not really different from 2A46 125 mm guns of T-72/ T-80/T-90 series of tanks, 125 mm KBA-3 L48 gun with autoloader for 28 shots (46 in total is carried). Main gun can fire HE, HEAT, APFSDS, GL-ATGMs (Ukrainian "Kombat" missiles). AFAIK part of ammunition is carried outside of the tank, in turret "basket", mounted to the rear part of it. Nothing really fancy here, 5 km range with ATGMs, up to 2.5-2.8 km effective range with APFSDS, which is standart for late Soviet and current Russian MBTs like T-72B3, T-80UE and different models of the T-90. 

Vehicle is also equipped with Ukrainian version/local variant of Shtora system - "Varta", with additional laser-warning sensors on the turret sides. 

BM-Oplot use somewhat unusual type of ERA (which is most interesting feature of that tank) - ~layered ERA named "Duplet". It is rumored that it can defeat tandem HEAT warheads like PG-7VR and PG-29V. Vehicle sides are also covered by Duplet ERA. 

Note that the hull UFP is covered by differently shaped blocks of ERA (long and narrow). How much it is effective is unknown, but designers claim that it can defeat tandem HEAT warheads, EFP and APFSDS projectiles.  

Upper frontal hull armor layout:

Side ERA modules:

Overall, BM Oplot is tank with better perfomance than T-80UD thanks to improvements in electronics and FCS, engine, transmission, driver controls, new ERA and better side armor, and in some areas this vehicle can be superioir to T-72B3 (latest Russian serial produced modification of the T-72 MBT, although it wasn't best proposed modification for it).
            But..., there is always "but" -  it is vehicle that Ukraine can not produce in any serious numbers, as their one and only contract with Thai army showed - out of 95 BM Oplot ordered in 2011 only 5-6 were delivered to this day. During trials in Thailand Kombat GL-ATGMs also showed not very good results - AFAIK out of 5 test firings, 2 missiles exploded before reaching targets. Another interesting fact about that tank is that no BM Oplot MBTs are presented on battlefields of Eastern Ukraine - T-64 and T-72s are primary tanks of the VSU. Seems to me Ukraine is either can't service them, or simply can't produce them in a first place.

Oplot-BM on trials in Pakistan. No accurate information on results, rumors say that Chinese VT-4 won that competition.

Oplot-BMs for Thai army on prooving ground.

• By LoooSeR
      From BMPD blog:

Croatian media continue to "untwist" scandal with the repair and purchase of Ukrainian MiG-21bis fighters.

In particular, the newspaper "Jutarnji list" notes that one plane had one wing of Ukrainian origin, another belonged to the MiG-21 from Algeria. Internal fuel tanks were used were made in the USSR, although practically unused, but in the contract they were supposed to be new. Fuselages of five "Ukrainian" MiG-21 actually had Bulgarian origin, despite the fact that they have been written off in Bulgaria itself. On airplanes, there are two fixed plates with serial number - on plane that was transmitted to Croatia had one plate painted over, and the second is attached later.

There were also a technical problems. So, on the repaired aircraft "friend or foe" system didn't work well enough, five "Ukrainian" MiG-21 had leaking fuel tanks, navigation system made by CLS production (the Czech company) was not installed in time and worked poorly, radars on all aircraft have technical breakdowns.
         Also, all planes had unsatisfactory condition of hydraulic system, there have been cases when the landing gear could not get out of their niches. Two planes had engine failers in flight, which means that the quality of repair is unsatisfactory or it was not performed at all.

• By Collimatrix
      I confess; when EE or Looser or whoever characterized the Ukrainian government's muscle as fascists, I thought this was Russian hyperbole.  I was aware of the presence of far-right elements during the protest period, and had no doubt that there were some neo-nazis in the ranks currently, the characterization seemed exaggerated.  After all, the Soviets had accused NATO of similar things, and surely the Ukrainians wouldn't be so dumb as to openly play into the role of villains in the Russian cultural monomyth of the Great Patriotic War?

I am reconsidering this view.