Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Ukrainian Civil War Thread: All Quiet on the Sturgeon Front

T___A

• 2 weeks later...

An-26 was apparently wanting to fly a bit too close to Russian oil rigs.  The Russians obviously did not like this, although they deny firing on the plane (from the rig with small arms).  Seeing some variations in reporting elsewhere.

http://tass.com/world/928533

Only info on the Buk I can find immediately is on that guy's Twitter feed.

• 3 weeks later...

Shevchenkovsky district court of Kiev arrested the training base of the regiment "Azov" at the factory and sports complex "ATEK" in Kiev. This is stated in the ruling of the court of March 13. Thus, the court granted the application of the Security Service of Ukraine.

SBU arrested Azov's training base in Kiev.

Ohh, Eurovision is becoming entertaining.

KYIV, 23 March. / TASS /. Broadcast live on "Eurovision" performances of Russian singer Julia Samoilova by Ukrainian channels is a violation of the law. This was stated by Deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine Vyacheslav Kyrylenko to Twitter.
   "Broadcasting of performances of Samoilova  byUkrainian TV channels - it is also a violation of Ukrainian laws, as well as her entry into Ukraine. EBU (European Broadcasting Union - Tass) Should take this into account ", - he wrote.

Security Service of Ukraine on yesterday banned Russian singer Julia Samoilova from entering the country for a period of three years.

SBU believes that, participating in the summer of 2015 at a concert in the Crimea, Samoilova violated the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine decision, according to which foreigners should have special permission to visit the territory of the peninsula.
   In response, the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) expressed disappointment with the decision of the Ukrainian authorities and said that they still hoped for a compromise solution for the Eurovision participant from Russia.

43 minutes ago, roguetechie said:

Bronez,

Was this typical incompetence or is it looking more like little green Spetsnaz?

Gross incompetence. It might have been initiated by polite green men, or maybe not-so-polite green men, but the fact that the whole compound went sky-high is gross incompetence.

The depot burned for hours and hours. I don't know the exact time, but I think it burned for close to 12 hours, maybe longer. That simply shouldn't be possible.

Looking at the ammo depots I know, ammunition is stored in bunkers, and the bunkers are surrounded by earthen walls in such a way that there's always at least one big earthen wall between two bunkers. The bunkers themselves are spaced so that there's several meters of empty spaced between the earthen walls, and the entrances never face each other. This means that, in the case of a detonation, the shockwave and fragments cannot travel directly from one bunker to another. The bunkers themselves have rules for storage, certain types of ammunition cannot be stored together (see this). If you follow the rules and regulations, the chance of sympathetic detonation is very low and purely dependant on the stored material. Sure, one bunker might (partially) blow up, but there's no way the whole compound is going sky-high.

Not only can walls prevent sympathetic detonations, they're also made to catch projectiles, so you won't have ground skimming Grad missiles flying around. Depending on the construction of the bunkers, the walls can be designed to blow out, or the roof. If the walls are supposed to blow outwards, the roof should catch projectiles that fly straight up (if there are any), so most of the projectiles will be caught by something. Of course there's a chance projectiles won't be stopped, but that's unavoidable.

Mass detonations like this are only possible if you, well, do everything wrong. Store various types of classes together, not having any protection at all, materials subjected to weather etc. There are photos of pre-conflict ammunition depots where the ammunition is just stacked on the grass, everything neatly in rows right next to each other. So that means if one thing goes, the rest is most likely going with it.

I mean, just look at it, there are literally rockets flying around in this clip.

Hope this answers your question.

Yes that was what I had surmised, the Ukrainians cannot into effort.

I've had the pleasure of being on a very big job site in salt lake city Utah for a giant Mormon assembly hall when some jackwagon pierced a tank in the massive tank farm with the forks of his forklift. That shit got incredibly hectic and there was no fire, no explosions, only fucking flying tanks banging off each other and rupturing more tanks which creates more flying fucking tanks LOL!!!

Seeing videos like this always kinda give me the shakes as I wound up shimmying between a nice load bearing wall and a heavy scissor lift clutching my hard hat and waiting for the insanity to stop LOL. 

Maybe I'm a masochist though because I still watch the video clips...