Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Thanks for the videos, Sturgeon.  The Centurion one really took me back.  Australia kept the 20pr, but added the ranging gun, to give the 5/1 (Aust).  And may I suggest that the fume extractor was one of the truly great innovations from the point of view of the turret crew.  We still had a few Type A barrels in service, as in the video, and "you can really tell the difference".

B

Thanks for the videos, Sturgeon.  The Centurion one really took me back.  Australia kept the 20pr, but added the ranging gun, to give the 5/1 (Aust).  And may I suggest that the fume extractor was one of the truly great innovations from the point of view of the turret crew.  We still had a few Type A barrels in service, as in the video, and "you can really tell the difference".

B

Welcome to SH Bill.

B

Welcome to the forum, Bill! Glad you liked the videos!

That Chieftain video seems a bit optimistic regarding it's mobility.  Also, I have no experience as far as what it's like to be a tank crewman, but the claim that crews can spend three days in the tank in case of NBC attack seems quite horrifying.  Three days locked up in a metal box with three other dudes?  Sounds pretty stinky.    

You may have at one point wondered "why is the Leclerc turret so big?  It has a two-man crew and autoloader, so shouldn't it be more T-72-sized?"

Well, if you've ever thought that, you're a nerd.

Turns out that the Leclerc's turret is pretty tidy:

8310b.jpg

8387106036_6ce5eaaa1d_b.jpg

However, it has large composite armor modules that make it look much larger.  Also, the area above the gun is large to allow good depression of the armament.

Russia Today fails at basic tank ID

"Hundreds of Abraham M1 Abrams, provided by Saudi Arabia, rolled out of Aden, Tuesday, in a bid to strengthen forces loyal to ousted president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi as they continue to fight with Houthi militants for the al-Anad air base in Taiz. Reports emerging Tuesday claim that the base has been re-captured to those loyal to Hadi, with the forces reportedly aided by heavy aerial assistance from Saudi-led coalition"

Abraham M1 Abrams?