Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

44 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

2 question on that placard.

What is CPS (in the FCS category), and what do they mean by semi auto loading, if all the ammo is unitary?

My guess is that it works the same way than in the Leclerc where you can ask the autoloader to load the same type of ammunition immediately after firing and keep doing it until it exhaust this type of ammo, or tell the autoloader to keep the chamber empty until you press the button to ask for one type of ammo to be loaded.

Either the autoloader will load on it's own without any input (auto) or you'll have to press a button to ask the autoloader to load once and then standby until you press the button again (semi-auto).

SmarTruck III

In the next version of the car returned to the biaxial chassis - the base was laid by MRAP International MXT. Armored car equipped with a set of navigation and communication tools, a complex for monitoring the terrain with cameras, directional microphones, night vision and laser rangefinder, as well as the Internet connectivity.

It is possible to install an active protection system and a retractable remote installation with a large-caliber machine gun, which was equipped with an "anti-sniper system".

The crew consists of four people: driver, gunner, the surveillance operator and the communications operator. Each has 20-inch displays and tablets.

5Kmp5WLBz-E.jpg

Spoiler

9p6TQzDgRDo.jpg

Fq--F2ri6Is.jpg

Zi0O6jJxeWU.jpg

UmVdpxRiskU.jpg

Maybe i should create a "Toimisto's stupid questions" thread but before that i will keep polluting here, So is there any reason why after WW2 USA kept using vision blocks instead of Periscopes on its Commanders cupolas? ogorkiewicz mentions that they usually have a greater field of view and resolution but does not go much beyond that. With Japanese tanks they kept using them even on the Type-74.

On 9/22/2018 at 8:20 AM, Toimisto said:

Maybe i should create a "Toimisto's stupid questions" thread but before that i will keep polluting here, So is there any reason why after WW2 USA kept using vision blocks instead of Periscopes on its Commanders cupolas? ogorkiewicz mentions that they usually have a greater field of view and resolution but does not go much beyond that. With Japanese tanks they kept using them even on the Type-74.

Cheaper, wider FOV and less distortion are the advantages I've heard.  Making a really optically excellent periscope is a non-trivial problem.

6 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Cheaper, wider FOV and less distortion are the advantages I've heard.  Making a really optically excellent periscope is a non-trivial problem.

Just to elaborate on this-

In a direct-vision block, you have a single* block of glass through which you look, with a short overall distance. In a simple unity periscope, you have 2 reflective components (whether they be mirrors or prisms), and the optical path is pretty long. Looking through a periscope is like looking through a pipe- your field of vision is much narrower than you'd expect, unless you have some special optical trickery* (like submarine periscopes, which have built-in telescopic lenses and split-lense rangefinders and shit). Also, generally speaking, flat vision blocks** are easier to control dimensionally in manufacture than prism heads, leading to less optical fuckery like distortion and abberation and shit.

Prism-based periscopes may also have more glass than vision blocks, whixh impedes light transmission and gives a darker image.

*Many modern periscopes have larger objective prisms than eye prisms to reduce the "looking down a pipe" effect.

** may actually be several layers.