Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Didn't they run into some issues finding space to store single piece 120mm ammo without making drastic changes to the turret? Which is one of the reasons why they suspended the smoothbore upgrade.

Still they did get 1500 hp MTU-883 V-12 in the Challenger 2E

Well then, they should talk to the Russians about getting some good 125mm guns with two piece ammo.   :P

The British could always just buy some Abrams.

I think that if the US sells an Abrams to the UK, they should make a special variant powered by 15 6 cylinder Chrysler engines mounted in a three deep "multibank" formation to produce 1500 HP.  As a US taxpayer, I would be willing to vote to give these tanks to the UK as Lend Lease.  We can call it the Abrams M1A4 and the Brits can call it Abrams II.  Gotta keep tradition going, ya know?

This thing have about same armor as soviet MBTs, while being 10-15 tons heavier. Good job, Germany, now get rid of loaders, they weight 10 tons.  :)

You see tovarish, they're Germans. From glorious Germany. They have to keep tradition of armor development!

IS-3 vs Tiger II armor! See?

Considering that the UK is only operating 227 tanks at this point, an upgrade seems the most cost effective measure.  Toss an L55 smoothbore 120mm gun into the Challenger 2 and maybe a 1500 HP engine.  Add in a new electronics package and that should get it up to snuff?

Edit:  Here is a weird random thought.  The UK Army currently operates fewer MBTs than the total number of tanks they lost during operation Goodwood.  

This is the best idea EVER!!!!

Thanks.. Didn't know that. Quite interesting actually.

They should also replace the Challenger bits with like an Abrams while they are at it 

Also should make a 140mm rifled [cause they're british] cannon, which has a HUGE muzzle flash and call that variant M1 Firefly (because of the muzzle flash). Also, at first, it should have bad accuracy.  And it should also penetrate the Leopard 2A5+'s mantlet frontally.

Then they should try to strap 4 300mm rockets to the sides of the turret and call that variant Firefly Tulip. Normal M1A4 should also get it.

Thanks.. Didn't know that. Quite interesting actually.

Also should make a 140mm rifled [cause they're british] cannon, which has a HUGE muzzle flash and call that variant M1 Firefly (because of the muzzle flash). Also, at first, it should have bad accuracy.  And it should also penetrate the Leopard 2A5+'s mantlet frontally.

Then they should try to strap 4 300mm rockets to the sides of the turret and call that variant Firefly Tulip. Normal M1A4 should also get it.

Yeah, it shocked me the first time I read it, like what the hell was the Army thinking sending them our best tank!

Yeah, it shocked me the first time I read it, like what the hell was the Army thinking sending them our best tank!

Yep. It's also interesting how the report and opinion on it is actually true. Though many of the issues were fixed by the M46 [fumes entering turret, engine, classification, etc], it still wasn't enough and it's not a modern heavy tank.