Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

44 minutes ago, Serge said:

The problem with M60 is the turret size. It’s so large, it’s heavy to improve its protection. So, Sabra is not the choice. 

It's not about improvement of the armor. They just left the bottom part of the turret very exposed. It's not as bad as many other tanks suffered, but they could do better. 

21 minutes ago, Scolopax said:

I'd say to try and hide the fact that it's there or make it seem as if there's more armor

That's probably not it. It still leaves the issue of the high profile. 

IDF infantrymen have something called Mitznefet:

Spoiler

__________-min.jpg

What it does is it breaks the shape of the helmet. Reshapes it from a round distinct shape, to a rock-like, natural shape.

If that was it, it's not the best implementation. I guess it has more to do with being preparatory means for actual camouflage covers, and may double as a protective means to hide sharp edges that can injure soldiers walking by.

Try to put camouflage cover on slat and you'll probably entangle it or even rip it (which is difficult to repair). I also assume this one increases the friction to allow for easy installation.

2 hours ago, Xlucine said:

You wouldn't put it there for no reason, since it'd take a fair bit of expensive verification testing to prove that the fabric wasn't strong enough to initiate the fuse on an RPG.

TIL if you throw a shirt at a Mohammed right before he pulls the trigger you get easy points. 

I'm not saying it'd be easy to pick a fabric that, when supported by slat armour, would initiate an RPG - just that rheinmetall isn't going to mess around with armour without a very good reason to do it (given the major legal ramifications in case anyone did buy that upgrade package, and it turns out that the tensile strength of the fabric was just a bit too high)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arjun_(tank)

So I was browsing on Wikipedia to see what was being written on certain tanks, anyone care to click specifications and read into the special ammo the Arjun uses? It’s uhhhh..... pretty cool....................

(I’m on a phone therefore I can’t post a screenshot.)

Edit - Whoever wrote what you’ll see, did it multiple times throughout that article.

On 26.3.2018 at 7:17 AM, Conner Webb said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arjun_(tank)

So I was browsing on Wikipedia to see what was being written on certain tanks, anyone care to click specifications and read into the special ammo the Arjun uses? It’s uhhhh..... pretty cool....................

(I’m on a phone therefore I can’t post a screenshot.)

Edit - Whoever wrote what you’ll see, did it multiple times throughout that article.

I fear it`s not the author`s fault: http://indianexpress.com/article/cities/pune/arjun-tanks-new-powerful-ammo-developed-by-drdo-labs-in-pune/